Good Grief!

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
hissa-lives
Novice

Good Grief!

Post by hissa-lives »

Chaos Strikes Back is TOUGH!
Still, finally cracked the whole
Spoiler
Freeze monster in place and get over pit
in DDD (oh how I hate that place!) managed to get all 4 corbums and now keep failing to get to the pit to get rid of them!
having never even got 1 of them when I played as a kid, I feel quite proud of getting this far! the whole random giggler item placement thing is annoying though! Only found the dragon shield and none of the rest of the armour :( especially as not bothered with shields no matter how cool they look!

The whole screamer/rat room training really paid off though, never knew about that before and started this game with lowest master level wizard and priest on all 4 heroes and fighter level on front 2, others and ninja levels were all at expert so plenty of health and mana to be had. Nothing quite like
Spoiler
beating deth knights with relatively few wallops of a sword!
terkio
Mon Master

Re: Good Grief!

Post by terkio »

Congratulations. 8) Indeed, CSB is tough :!:

I finished it a long time ago when realeased on the Atari ST.
Took two or three months work, I mapped everything. proud to not use any help
I started with a very strong party imported from Dungeon Master.
Mapping was extremely difficult at the begining, with many map bits hard to fit together.
My party was so strong at the end of CSB with the four corbums, I had no trouble to reach the FulYa pit to get rid of them!.
What is your trouble here ? Have you reachead Lord Chaos lair ?

Recently, I tried again, I did find all my old maps but I quickly gave up. Now it looks way too hard. :(
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

@hissa-lives: that's awesome! :D

Yeah, CSB is very tough. I remember struggling through the DDD, terrified that a Viper Demon would jump out of somewhere and fry my whole party with a fireball, until I discovered the wonders of the Fireshield spell, cast several Mon-level fireshields and that Demon fire just warms my party's toes and fingers a little. :mrgreen: (it can get awfully cold in those dark, dank dungeons...). The fireshilds also help against Dragons, Black Flames, Vexirks and basically anything else that attacks with fire. :wink:
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

Yeah, really should keep casting those! having trouble with the non material things on chaos level. trying to find dragon armour is driving me nuts too!
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

Have been to all the locations for the Dragon armour again, only found the plate so far! been using maps and random locations. Is difficult working out where I've been and routes to everything :(
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

go hissa
keep your gor coin handy
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

Found something quite cool... I restarted cause figured I've gone everywhere and still not found armour. used different save slot but made new adventure with characters that gained levels through first play through so now even tougher! :D and what happened on first visit to supplies for quick? Dragon armour! Ironically though not got the plate yet, and only got greaves of Ra as opposed to all Ra armour on other one. I reckon the game is doing it just to annoy me!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

The gigglers aren't the only sources of random items in CSB. ;) Quite a few of them show up in the supplies for the quick area, and the area immediately below it. Some of them not out in plain sight too. You keep at it hissa-lives, see if you can kick LC's butt from Mt Annias to Makan and back. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can't recall if all the pieces drop, or if some pieces end up still inside living gigglers and so can appear where a giggler dies... or are waiting for you to fill that giggler!

Anyway, congratulations for all your successes!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, congratulations, I had exactly the same feeling recently (well, 4 years ago...times flies). I was very happy when I finally beat it and put those ghosts to rest. Although you seem more focused on finding the dragon armour than saving the world! That's not what the Grey Lord sent you to do!
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

oh_brother wrote:Yes, congratulations, I had exactly the same feeling recently (well, 4 years ago...times flies). I was very happy when I finally beat it and put those ghosts to rest. Although you seem more focused on finding the dragon armour than saving the world! That's not what the Grey Lord sent you to do!
He may not have done, but I found it all anyway! :-) only done KU and halfway through ROS so far. Just the Ra Plate to go and then fully awesome armoured up :D
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I see, you like collecting armour kits.
In CSB, I did not get much involved in this, focusing on saving the world, dumping the corbums in the Fulya pit.
Have you seen what happens if you dump something else in the pit ?

A place, I liked to collect armours, for the fun ( not required to win the game ) :
I suggest you give a try to "Dungeons Matters" a RTC custom game by Ouch.
In this game, it is pretty difficult to gather all 5 items of the Darc and Lyth outfit. They are not at random places, but most are hard to get.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

^ Are you trying to drive him crazy, with ever more difficult collection tasks? :)
terkio wrote:Have you seen what happens if you dump something else in the pit ?
Actually no, I don't think I have.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Dumping a wrong item in the FulYa pit
Spoiler
You better do a save before
Spoiler
I tried dumping a ZoKathRa, ( who knows, it looks like a corbum...... ), well, the pit backfired, all 4 of my champions got fryied
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

At the 4 corbum pillar, do you know that trick ?

Get 3 corbums and the fourth for free.
Spoiler
Re: Quite Stuck

Postby terkio » 25-Sep-12 20:55

Postby Ameena » 29-Jan-09 20:20
I think you can also "cheat" to get two of the Corbums. I think it's Ros and Dain actually - from one side of the Corbum pillar (I forget which or the two it is...), you can walk around to another side and yoink that Corbum too (I think you step across a fake pit or something, can't remember), so you don't have to do that path's "part 2" section :twisted:.

+1
I checked on the maps, I made playing CSB on a ATARI ST, a very long time ago.
At the Corbum pillar, I had found a path from ROS to the KU corbum. I see: speed, marked on that path.
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

I usually start with the Ku path, get some food fairly early on and by the time I do the next path am swamped with the stuff! Have store rooms under supplies for the quick :-)

Got the Ra plate now too, happy camper now! wold be good to get all 4 in total armour though, but hey one of those things
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Who are your champions and their stats ?
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I would guess that one of them is Hissssa, Lizar of Makan ;)
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

Right lets see how this goes! Not brilliant stats, but they're working ok at the minute :-)
I basically took people I'd never used in DM before, seemed to work as a team so stuck with them.
Nearly always played as Hissa, Darou (sp?) Gothmog and Linflas back in the day
Chest Ook has is filled with keys!

hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

Seriously Unserious wrote:I would guess that one of them is Hissssa, Lizar of Makan ;)
Ha fooled you! :wink: this time! BA is Hawk just in case picture not enough to guess!
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

looks pretty good.

I'm a bit surprised to not see Hissssa in your party though, considering your name... :P
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

Seriously Unserious wrote:looks pretty good.

I'm a bit surprised to not see Hissssa in your party though, considering your name... :P
Every other team had him in if it's any consolation! I will be playing through DM again with him in the lead and then Chaos and he will be wearing the dragon armour! 8)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

:lol: the one time you didn't use him... :P

I actually include Hissssa in my DM parties frequently myself, he's definitely one of my favorite characters. I'm planning on a future custom dungeon with Hissssa appearing as an NPC character too.
hissa-lives
Novice

Post by hissa-lives »

Pretty ,uch! just thought would see what happened with a party of randoms, might play through again with completely different ones I'd not really used before next :-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I normally just use two characters, but one of those is Hissssa - reincarnated as a female ;). The other is Wuuf. But they're renamed to Ameena and Fippy, respectively :).
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

hissa-lives wrote:Right lets see how this goes! Not brilliant stats, but they're working ok at the minute :-)
I basically took people I'd never used in DM before, seemed to work as a team so stuck with them.
Nearly always played as Hissa, Darou (sp?) Gothmog and Linflas back in the day
Chest Ook has is filled with keys!

A pretty good, well equiped team :)
It is fun to specialize champions, with 2 tanks in the front and 2 casters in the back.
However,

I would go for more health, improving the lower stats.
Adept -> Expert -> Lo Master -> Um Master.

About boosting, Adept Ninja levels, I would go at killing creatures bare handed.

About boosting, OOK and PENNY Lo Master Priest levels, I would constantly renew Fire shiels and Magic shields to always work protected.

LOL and BA are weak at fighter, there is much health gain to get improving their Adept fighter levels.

Boosting levels is faster when training at upper dungeon levels. The top is level 0 where Lord Chaos awaits for you near the FulYa pit.

To determine a champion's level in any of the skills, the following table is used:
0. - (0)
1. Neophyte (500)
2. Novice (1000)
3. Apprentice (2000)
4. Journeyman (4000)
5. Craftsman (8000)
6. Artisan (16000)
7. Adept (32000)
8. Expert (64000)
9. Rune - Lo Master (128000)
10. Rune - Um Master (256000)
11. Rune - On Master (512000)
12. Rune - Ee Master (1024000)
13. Rune - Pal Master (2048000)
14. Rune - Mon Master (4096000)
15. Archmaster (8192000)

Here is the value of the experience multiplier for each level in Chaos Strikes Back:
Level 0: 7
Level 1: 6
Level 2: 5
Level 3: 5
Level 4: 4
Level 5: 5
Level 6: 4
Level 7: 4
Level 8: 4
Level 9: 4
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Great info terkio, thanks for posting it.

I did know in an abstract sense that each level is weighted on what experience can be gained while on it, but I didn't know the exact numbers.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

great stuff dude. that is really good to know.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Credit goes to the Dungeon Master Encyclopedia. http://dmweb.free.fr/

A search with "Experience Training" gives:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/692
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/691
These two pages are from ChristopheF

Another good source
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=22395
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i'll need that info terkio, thanks for grabbing it and posting it again here. in this new ai npc dungeon i'll need a way of having the character check for a certain values so when the character rejoins party at a later time that if the party has had the character long enough they'll get a specific item to them to boost their stats to close to where they were when being dismissed from party. that way there experience earned is not lost. i could use some help in this area, are you interested?
keep your gor coin handy