Need Help! - how to pass a DDD-pit for 4th corbum?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
luke41
Craftsman

Need Help! - how to pass a DDD-pit for 4th corbum?

Post by luke41 »

Hi,
After few weeks I finally got 3 corbums (the north, the west and the south). Now I am stuck at the DDD on level 2, cannot pass the pit which I assume should lead me to the 4th, east-corbum. Furthermore, I cannot find any alternative way (like falling from upper levels or being teleported) to the north-eastern part of the dungeon (level 1 and 0).
I have found the following hint by Paul Stevens: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/123
But since this solution seems far too "chaotic" to me (a pure luck and endless trial-and-error IMHO) - is there any other solution? If there is, would you be so kind to give me only a small hint, not the whole solution?... Either to close this pit (it is the one 2 steps north from the DDD-generator, it may be called "ROS")

By the way, how to proper throw the corbums into the FULYA pit? When I try to drop them into the pit between me and the flame, the corbum returns to my feet. When I throw the corbum into the flames, it disappears. Is this the right way?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: Need Help! - how to pass a DDD-pit for 4th corbum?

Post by Paul Stevens »

Steps 3 and 4 of the 'hint' you found are necessary. Steps one and
two make it easy. Transport and kill the Skeleton and present an
item to the eye switch. That is all that is necessary.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Thanks, at least now I can stop searching (and falling thru numerous pits...) for an alternative solution!...
But that riddle is really too complicated in my opinion (or: for me). All my respect for all the people who found it out without any hints or looking into the code (or drinking beer with the game-developers!). Such riddles, where pressure plates/buttons/triggers spread over more levels and in different parts of it lack the logic. It is like - lets imagine - being in the first room with the worms, and the only way of leaving would be "kill each monster standing on exactly position 10,4 - 11,5 - 12,5, using once fireballs, then sword, then again fireball. Yes, it is a riddle, but a chaotic "trial-and-error" and not one which can be solved only by deduction (and some trying).
Anyway, thanks Paul, now for the last corbum!
(Can it by, that Chaos in "CSB" is less agressive than in DM? I met him already 4 times then going to the FULYA pit, and he is quite slow and threw only once a spell at me... He seems to be a really Lord, not working too much himself, but instead sending an army of demons, worms and ghosts after me!)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm pretty sure that "chaotic" is absolutely the word you would use to describe CSB - it's kind of the point, really, I think ;).
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

You are right, Ameena - maybe I should just remember the name of the game!...

Espacially since after Paul's hint there was some "chaos" in favour for me: without entering the room with the many "weaker" dragons and fake walls on level 3 (31, 23), where the trigger for the rock-pile-monster and 2 walls should be, when I entered the room with the skeletons & teleporter & eye: the wall (3, 21, 24) was there - without my triggering!!... And I remember well that I was only once in the dragon&fake-wall-room, and only after that I was for the first time in the skeleton-teleport-room. The first time the wall was not there. So now, it was there - without triggering it again (maybe in the meantime some not killed dragon in that room triggered it????).

Anyway, after that it was "easy": some wall-hitting when in the plate-transforming room, then nice riddle with up-down-climbing in north-east of levels 1 & 2, and I got the 4th corbum! From there to Lord Chaos party room - in meantime there was not only him, but about 5 gropus of 4packs-demons, 1 worm, and some ghosts (the stone golem seemed to have left the party...). I was a rather shy guest, made a slalom between them (freezing some I admit), and left for the FULYA pit. Corbum in the flame - AND I HAVE DONE IT!!!!
Thanks a lot guys!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woohoo, gratz :D.