Prison - how to get one of the two extra-champions?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
luke41
Craftsman

Prison - how to get one of the two extra-champions?

Post by luke41 »

Hi,

I wanted to start CSB with 2 champions, one should be Plague (reincarnated), the other I wanted to get from the "hidden" parts of the prison. There are two guys, one behind the room with stone-piles, other behind the mummies.
And here I had to give up.
No way to kill the stone-piles. Since Plague, as all prisoners, has no items, I could only use war cry (did not work, stone piles block already the entrance!) or spells like fire balls or poison cloud. But these have to be trained. But there is not enough time (food! and water) to train a lonely champ so long as he/she can cast so strong spells a stone-pile can be killed (assuming killing only one would make the way free...)
In the other part, with mummies, I could kill some with FUL IR - and then run straight to the other door. Bu no way to open this door!!! Not with 3-strong-bombs, not with 4-strong ZO!... How to open it?...
terkio
Mon Master

Re: Prison - how to get one of the two extra-champions?

Post by terkio »

The door doesn't open once you've picked this oter champion. No way to get both.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Yo misunderstood me. My "other" champion is not the other (second) extra-champion. I walked there only as Plague (who is a "normal" champion).
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hmmm... Don't know why the door would not already be open. It should only close if you choose the other 'extra' champion. It has been a long time since i used these champions, but i'm pretty sure the trigger to close the respective doors is in the mirror of each.

EDIT: Oh wait... I think it is because you have Plague. I don't think you can have Plague, Deth, etc in the same party as Lor. Try another champion (apart from the 4 in that square) and see what happens.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

You are right!! When I try it with a champion from other parts (not the 4 "deaths"), it works. Thanks!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

luke41 wrote:In the other part, with mummies, I could kill some with FUL IR - and then run straight to the other door.
It's not that hard. Actually, I'm able to wipe out all the mummies with just reincarnated Buzz all alone. Don't step inside. Perform the "stairs-turning" trick - go downstairs, punch them kick them very fast, turn back upstairs, do it again. From time to time check if you're not injured and save your game. If you get killed, restore your game.

In this way, the prison underground can be used to "cheat" a little - to level up reincarnated characters. First, gain some ninja levels (kicking, punching, climbing stairs) and priest levels (war cry), then get some wizard levels (light, fireball). You'll also get one or two fighter levels simply by being beaten by the mummies. If you then save the game and "make new adventure" you'll have full health, stamina and mana and, more importantly, full food and water levels. I usually use this trick when I start with only one very weak reincarnated character - unless I want to make the starting room of CSB really hard for me.

Of course, this would be extremely difficult and dangerous in the other room with the rock piles. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

No problem Luke. It can be a pain at the start with reincarnated champions (much easier with resurrection where you can just fireball the mummies and rockpiles), but follow Jan's method. It might take some time, but you'll get what you want.
luke41
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Thanks guys. I have just finished CSB again with 2 characters from CSB prison. However, I dont like this kind of "cheating". I "cheat" the other way: training extensively (but mostly wizard and priest spelling) in places full of food, water (and peace!).
I must admit I was a little disappointed with the extra-characters in CSB prison: They were quite "normal" - or it there something special about them when playing?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think their starting stats are a bit better than those of the other characters - in CSB it's better to Rez than to Reincarnate as the dungeon is so much tougher and plonks you right in the middle of it, surrounded by mobs, from the very start ;). I always just take my DM party though, so don't really remember much about the CSb characters other than their names and portraits.
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

For Lor and Kazai, other than the lo master levels in fighter and ninja respectively, i don't think there is anything special.