Has anyone gotten Amiga CSB to work on FS-UAE?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
zeech
Novice

Has anyone gotten Amiga CSB to work on FS-UAE?

Post by zeech »

Sorry if this is the wrong place for technical support, I couldn't see anywhere else.

I recently finished DM on Amiga via the latest version of FS-UAE. After spending an afternoon leveling up my characters, I was excited to try CSB.
I was able to load the utility disc and import my characters, start a new adventure.

But when I try to load the game disc, I don't get any graphics? I get a blue screen that fades in and out (the intro logo?), followed by a black screen. The interesting thing is, on the black screen I can click the mouse and get the click sound of pressing a dungeon button. So it seems the game might be running, but just not displaying any graphics properly.

Has anyone managed to successfully emulate Amiga CSB? Can you tell me the settings etc that you did it with? Or any tips with FS-UAE to possibly solve my issue?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Has anyone gotten Amiga CSB to work on FS-UAE?

Post by ChristopheF »

You should try different combinations of:
- version of CSB. Several versions are available here: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/591
- version of Amiga Kickstart ROM (try with version 2.04 or 3.1)
- Have you tried with WinUAE? (if you are running on Windows)
zeech
Novice

Post by zeech »

I got it working under WinUAE, yay!

For anyone else that has this problem, it was tricky. I had to make sure it was using the original chipset (OCS) and all settings as close to Amiga 500 as possible. But then it would run quite slowly. So I changed the processor to 68040 and activated JIT compilation, which made the game run smoothly.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

As Christophe mentioned, it must be down to which version. I’m sure I have ran CSB fine in WinUAE with the ECS chipset, but I have had a similar problem with other games.
I remember Millennium 2.2 would crash at a certain point running ECS, but was fine with OCS.

Glad you got it sorted.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon