Are defensive actions / spells worth doing?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
zeech
Novice

Are defensive actions / spells worth doing?

Post by zeech »

Hi, I couldn't find anything in the technical documents on DM encyclopaedia about how defensive actions (block, party, etc) and spells (shield spell, fire shield, etc) actually work.

Certainly in game I can barely tell that they're making any difference at all. It feels like the time and mana are better spent on doing damage.

Do they reduce enemy hit chance, or do they reduce damage done?

Does block/parry cover the entire party, or just the character doing it?

Is there any defence difference between the shield potion vs the party wide spell version?

While we're at it, what does the mace's Stun action do? I can't see it making any difference either, apart from being a poor attack.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Are defensive actions / spells worth doing?

Post by Saumun »

The spells are more effective if you stack them.
I don’t bother with shield spell, but if you stack a few fireshields (particularly if they’re mon level) you’ll see a difference in taking fire damage.
It would be nice if ‘stun’ teed up the monster for a higher damage hit with the next attack.... but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I noticed that in original DM my party could get hit by FUL IR spells cast by demons without taking damage while a MON FUL BRO NETA was active.
The same seems to apply on spell shields. In CSB on the NETA path there's a section where the party gets hit by poison spells - you can get the flame bane here. With a spell shield, the poison spells did not inflict damage (CSBWIN).
I am not sure about defense actions of weapons and shields - I never use them.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I never bother with any shield spells or potions or anything like that. I just dodge out the way and whack/Fireball stuff (and/or shut the door on its head) :D.
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I like to doodle under shields Fir Bro Neta and Ir Kath.
I do not waste mana that reach maximum, I cast shields to gain priest levels and protection.
Stacking fireshields makes my champoins fire proof once they've reached high health.
To gain on health I level all champions on all four skills.
Is there a worthwhile effect from magic shields or the flamebain suit ?
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

terkio wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:03 pm Is there a worthwhile effect from magic shields or the flamebain suit ?
The flamebain can be helpful in the battle against Lord Chaos.
Just have one living champion with the Firestaff, the Flamebain and the Jewel Symal. Half of his spells miss the party because you just have one champions. The others don't bother you that much because of high anti fire and anti magic values.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
zeech
Novice

Post by zeech »

Actually, I had a thought, if Parry, Block etc have no effect, is the reverse also true? Berzerk is supposed to have a large defence penalty, does this mean it doesn't really matter?