*** READ THIS FIRST *** DM2 in Windows: Use DOSBOX

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

My Dosbox session totally shut down
Did the same for me until I increased the CPU Cycles
(or something like that). There are some instructions
in previous posts. Then it worked fine with sound.
Zelmo

Post by Zelmo »

Ditto. I left all the DosBox settings at default except for the memory size (changed that to 32, though it seemed to work fine with 16), and altered the conf file to specify 10,000 CPU cycles (probably more than needed) and fullscreen video. Works so beautifully I could cry!

Post by Guest »

Get this... after 12 hours of intensive testing i got it to work!!!

of course i use DoxBox, but with the french version of the game,
just edit dm2.bat and remove the +GLF parameter. Some of the files
are bigger on this version SKULL.EXE, GRAPHICS.DAT even END
but still it say 1.0 version

et voilà :!: music, sound & smooth gameplay :D

Hope it work for all of you!
MysterioJN

Sound/Music works, but it "stutters"

Post by MysterioJN »

Hi.

My little Problem is:

The Sound and the Music works, but if i play it stutter. I tried different sound-setups but nothing realy work. I play DM with DOSBOX.
Everything works... but this one little?! thing doesn´t...
anyone got an idea? *i hope someone understand what i mean...*

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone !

This is a little odd but I can't make a "\" (yes antislash) under the dos window from DosBox, with the "Alt Gr +8" combination ! Not very usefull to mount my HD, right ?

Any suggestions ?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

try ALT + 92
(left ALT and num pad)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

...or add the mount command in the dosbox config file.
$eoub!!!
Apprentice

Post by $eoub!!! »

Hi evreyone ! Salut tout le monde !

DM2 runs well under Dosbox but, after have tried lot of cfg (those from Daniel (Sweden)), I still have no sound when playing... :(
My card is a Creative Sound Blaster PCI... Please help...

(Vous pouvez m'aider en français aussi, si vous préférez !)
Past...Pasta ? Pastaga !
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

Good news: Version 0.62 of DOSBOX has just been released ( Sept 29 exactly), and it is even better for running DM2 !
I made a few tests yesterday and it seems that the emulation has been optimized a bit. My 1GHz box was at the limit for running DM2 with DOSBOX version 0.61. I had some sound stuttering ( indicating a CPU running at 100%) , but much less now with version 0.62.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

I know this might seem stupid for the people here, but has anyone tryied the "emulate win95" option of winxp ? and what about installing win98 in dualboot ? that way there's no problems with dos games...
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

At work i run all the dos games in win 95 emulation and they run +- fine (my pc is kinda slow, PII 400Mhz), but i have to try dm2 to see what the fuss is all about. So far the only problem was Master of Magic complayning about memory shortage : needs 573kb to run, strangely enough i had about 620kb... so but without sound :D
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

DM2 does not run under Windows, any version of Windows. The Win95 compatibility option won't help you to play DM2 at work.
With a machine under Win95 or Win98, it is possible to use the "DOS mode" to run DM2 ( this means : OUT of Windows, because essentially all traces of Windows are removed from memory), with the additional requirement that the sound card is DOS compatible (all recent soundcards are not compatible).
If you can dual boot between XP and W98, then you can try the DOS mode of W98. It will work, but only -if- the sound card is accepted ( a P2 at 400Mhz is more than enough ).
Unless you need W98 for something else, it is not necessary to install it. If you have a set of DOS diskettes, installing and booting directly on DOS is enough for DM2.
The advantage of DOSBOX is that it completely emulates a PC with a SoundBlaster card. If you have a fast enough processor(you need >1Gz for DM2), a game will run (or not run) whatever is your actual hardware or OS. You do not have to reboot to play a DOS game : you can switch instantly between DM2, the Internet, your email, and....heuu....the work you're supposed to do !
Also, don't forget that dual booting is not easy to set up for many, particularly with new machines which typically have XP preinstalled on a single NTFS partition.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

True enough, but if you have a pc and to want to mess around with it you better have some insights on it, right ? kinda like programing and hacking :) tried dosbox om my wonderfull PII400Mhz and it worked fast (average 25/27fps) without sound with 7000 cpu cycles then with sound it went downhill... down to 10/15fps and popping sound... reduced cpu cycles to 500 and fixed the sound completly, but the game would only do about 1/3fps... can someone explain this to me in laymans terms ? never used dosbox before and the cfg file doesnt really help much...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

DosBox 0.63 is now available. I have DM2 working pretty well, music but no other sounds, will have to have an experiment.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Hello Death Scream and PaulH!!!

I still use Dosbox 0.61 when I play DM2. I tested Dosbox0.62 when it was new but it seemed like 0.62 demanded more out of my machine than 0.61 did (I still have 1,8 Ghz AMD athlon 2,5+). I have not yet tested 0.63 though, but since the game seems to work with 0.61 without me needing to experiment so much I was happy with that. The game worked perfect in 0.61 so I have never seen any need to advance to 0.62 (since that slows it all down).

The best of luck!

/Daniel (Sweden)
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Hi guys!

My problem is, of course, sound.
The problem is, i get dm2 running, the sound works perfectly in the intro and so on, and the game music works perfectly but i can't get sound effects ( item throw, hitting the wall, monsters etc. ). I have 2.8gh and 512ddr, so i dont think my comp. is the problem, but if anyone could tell me how to get those sounds, the game would be like on good old Amiga ^^

Thanks in advance
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Nvm, i made it to work.
Just downloaded the drivers and replaced the setup file.
Wooooooooo now i can pass it again ^^
stewy
Craftsman

Post by stewy »

a dos box that works, are you from heaven?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

When I ran DM2 in DOSbox it worked fine, no problems that I recall (this was some time near the end of last year I think).

Post by Snej »

My experience with dosbox 0.65 and DMII - CD Version [German]:

My changes in dosbox.conf:
cycles 10000
mount c d:\intrplay\skulkeep\
c:
so I can type "setup" (for sound setup) or "dm2" (playing the game)

First I´d got sound effects in the setup but not in the game. :(
Music worked fine.

Then I changed skull.cfg - in particular the DeviceID lines to:
[DIGITAL]
DeviceName = Sound Blaster Pro
DeviceIRQ = 7
DeviceDMA = 1
DevicePort = 0x220
DeviceID = 0xe001

[MIDI]
DeviceName = Sound Blaster Pro
DevicePort = 0x388
DeviceID = 0xa002
Now I have sound effects :D.

Hope this helps someone else out there.
hennaeh
Neophyte

Post by hennaeh »

Thank you very much, Snej! Your solution was the key to my problem, and the game works like charm now. Oh, I'm so happy! :D
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I have a stupid question. I have a Compaq Armada M300 laptop that was given to me. It has Windows 98SE on it. It doesn't recognize graphics or sound in DOS so I will have to play the old games like DM, DM2, EOB,etc in Widnows which it really won't let me do. Will DOS Box work in Windows 98 or is it for XP?

The last several months I've been away, I am fighting stomach and espohagel cncer so I spend a fortune in meds, so I have to work with what I have. I can't get another system or upgrade to XP. Any help would be appre3ciated.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I think DOSbox will work fine on Win98.
There is no reason why it should not.
But it does need a relatively fast machine
to work well. 800MHz perhaps.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, you should have no problems with Win98

And good luck with your health battle too :(
Tzan-01
Journeyman

Post by Tzan-01 »

I've decided to go mostly with alternative medicine. There has been some improvement but time will tell.

I've tried RTC, but I noticed that there are very few creatures compared to the original, and it makes to hard to practice your skills when there are no creatures to fight.

CSBWin seems to have a bug in CSB. I think it's the ROS path, but the first time I went down this path a wall opened. I went on but fell down a pit. That wall hasn't opened since so I'm stuck, can't go any further. I end up in a room where you fight fire elementals and demons and no way to go further. I remember from the original ST version that there was an area where dragons were behind bars and blasted their way out. I haven't been able to get to that area in CSB.

I downloaded Steem and the Atari ST versions but when I go to unpack them I get CRC errors so nothing gets unpacked. I get this with both DM and CSB.

Last question. From the old PC version of DM all my characters are MON Master wizards and PAL Master everything else. Is it possible to get them to ArchMaster in anything? And if so, how long does it take?

Thanks for your help.
Tzan
Lord of the Canines
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It is possible to get them to Archmaster, but that requires the same amount of experience again as it took to get Mon master - I had Archmaster wizards once, but that was a looooooooooong process!

Similarly someone had archmaster ninjas, hbut that would take alot of fighting in the lower levels too

fire elementals and demons? That sounds like the lord chaos level. If so, there should be ways to get one level lower down with a golem room, and I think there is a hidden exit

There should also be areas along the outside for the path back to the JotW

As for RTC, I think the monster generators are as before, it's just the creatures can start to cross areas I think, so they might be elsewhere. Also, I have to say I find DM2 depressingly easy on the PC for its insane level gains, so not having as much creatures to practice on should not hold you back from playing it on RTC!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

CSBWin seems to have a bug.
I end up in a room where you fight fire elementals and demons and no way to go further.
I don't know where you are. If you can describe
it more precisely or send the save game to
me then I can help. I will bet against any
dead-ends or bugs such as this.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: Dungeon Master 2 Works in Dosbox 0.61

Post by Lunever »

After a long time of not using original DM2, I just installed DosBox V0.73 and it works fine with dm2. Except that if I use the updated setup.exe from updated hmi drivers, I don't get midi music. If I use the original setup.exe it works fine though. The setup's autodetect works and I get soundblaster 16 sound as well as midi music without trouble.
The fullscreen sizing problems I had in erlier dosbox versions did not appear. German keyboard bugs I encountered in earlier versions did not occur.

On contrary to dm1, dm2 only works in dosbox in my winxpprosp3 and cannot be started from the cmd. dm1 can be started from the cmd, though it does not produce sound. I wonder if that can be really fixed, without running dosbox. dm2 recognizes the cursor keys and the numpad keys fine. dm1 though does not recognize the key event from the cursor keys. the keymapper in dosbox allows for an acceptable workaround though. Again, I wonder how dm1 can be made to really recognize the genuine cursor keys.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
T0Mi
Expert

Re: *** READ THIS FIRST *** DM2 in Windows: Use DOSBOX

Post by T0Mi »

Sir Handsome linked a nice site some time ago. Pre-configured DosBox packages for many old games, and also for DM II.

No fiddling with Sound Blaster Settings, IRQs and whatnot, just installing and doubleclicking.

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/dungeon- ... downloads/

(Tested with XP SP2 on old T42, 2Ghz, 1Gb)
master
Novice

Re: *** READ THIS FIRST *** DM2 in Windows: Use DOSBOX

Post by master »

I just got it working on 0.74 with sound. Hope it works tell the end on dosbox.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”