CD won't work! (also, dosbox site won't work)

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

CD won't work! (also, dosbox site won't work)

Post by Guest »

hello all...

i had DMII years ago on sega cd and decided that i'd get the pc version (which i did on ebay). so it finally arrives and i happily go to install it and lo and behold, it won't work. first it asks me which drive to install to, then VGA or SVGA (tried both) and then it crashes every time.

now i read up on Dosbox and all that good stuff on this site, but the links to most current versions won't work on the site for whatever reason.

has anyone else had this problem with the cd?
i'm not sure if the people who said that they had problems with the pc version were using a cd or a downloaded version (i tried a few downloads but with no luck, then again no dosbox either, so i can't try it).

also, anyone else have problems with the dosbox site?
this is the page i was trying to use...
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

or does anyone have another site where i can get it?

i'd appreciate any help (it's mid-term season and i need some veg out time!)

Thanks...
Bythorsbeard
Neophyte

Post by Bythorsbeard »

this was my post, by the way... just signed up... thought the account verification logged me in... guess not, haha...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums

Perhaps it was just down last night, I oculd get to the site and download a file ok just now. If not, check your firewall isn;t blocking something
Bythorsbeard
Neophyte

Post by Bythorsbeard »

gah...

i found and a link to dosbox on another site that worked and now have version 6.3 installed... however, my cd still won't even install DMII.

anyone know how to remedy this?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Rip it from the CD and try installing it on from your computer?
Bythorsbeard
Neophyte

Post by Bythorsbeard »

tried it... no luck...

anyone know how to boot up in dos in windows xp?
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

That's not possible. Even if you had a DOS boot disk, it wouldn't detect your drive if it's NTFS formatted. You'll need a separate FAT16/32 partition for that, or a virtual machine (like DOSBox, Virtual PC, or VMWare).

It's beginning to sound like your CD might be damaged, or perhaps there's something wrong with your CD-ROM driver that it won't work with this particular disk. It could also be simply that you're using WinXP.
Bythorsbeard
Neophyte

Post by Bythorsbeard »

hmmm...

well, it could read the cd, which was new in the packaging. it just crashes on install.

i'm trying dosbox but it's confusing the crap outta me...

ugh... i hate xp. it won't run anything! so many old games won't work that my parents' old windows 95 computer could run.

ah well... i'll keep on tryin' for a bit...
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

Bythorsbeard wrote:anyone know how to boot up in dos in windows xp?
You can't and you don't need to.

Under XP, with Windows Explorer, try to copy the content of the CD to your hard disk, in any work directory. This takes a few seconds ( unless the CD is damaged ). There is no CD copy protection.

Then start DOSBOX and mount the work directory as if it were a drive and install the game from there.
For example, if you have copied the DM2 CD to C:\TEMP\DM2 and you want to install it in C:\GAMES\DM2, the commands in DOSBOX are:

MOUNT D C:\TEMP\DM2
( it replies : Drive D is mounted as local directory C:\TEMP\DM2\ )

Now mount your game directory...
MOUNT C C:\GAMES\DM2
( it replies : Drive C is mounted as local directory C:\GAMES\DM2\ )

D:
INSTALL

( The DM2 installer asks for the letter of the drive to install to, you reply C, then S to select SVGA S, then Y to confirm )

After that, run the command SETUP to configure the sound device (sound blaster with the default settings is OK. The same for Midi device), and run the command DM2 to start the game

Note that the game is installed in directory INTRPLAY\SKULKEEP in your virtual C: drive.

After that, I recommend that you create a shortcut to DOSBOX specifying a configuration file containing the commands to start the game. Something like that :

[autoexec]
mount c d:\games\dm2
c:
cd \intrplay\skulkeep
dm2
Bythorsbeard
Neophyte

Post by Bythorsbeard »

you sir, are my new hero.

that did it!
thanks to everyone who replied so soon and so often!

by the way, an amusing irony is that now my cd is damaged, haha. my brother accidentally knocked it face down on the floor today but i had already backed it up on my hard drive and as a cd.

thanks again! especially JCG... it probably would've taken days without the step by step.
Tianhe1A
Neophyte

Re: CD won't work! (also, dosbox site won't work)

Post by Tianhe1A »

sabai di,

all these three DM games I played decades ago on my Amiga 500, upgraded to an Amiga 2300 ! Since I found these games again on ABANDONIA. 1.) DM & DM 2 Legend of Skullkeep; 2.) DM; DM II; CSB, under the name of RTC; unfortunately for the latter, I' m not able to install them. Meanwhile the games named in the first instance are working both under D-Fend Reloaded v 0.74. DM is autoconfigured and works perfect, but with Legend of Skullkeep I have a sound problem. I have the annoying music, but not the sound for the environmental effects. Could anyone please, give me some hints on how to resolve this problem with the sound-config?
BTW, it is true, that some sites are not responding (anymore ? ), like http://dmweb.free.fr/ , no way to get connected.

If it may help, here is how my System looks like :

MB : ASUS Rampage II Extreme
CPU : Intel i7 x980 Extreme Six
GPU : ASUS ARES
RAM : 12 GB

Best regards from Vientiane, RDP Lao

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”