Monsters again and again

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
uka8
Neophyte

Monsters again and again

Post by uka8 »

hello,

im new here.Sorry for my weak english.
I´m playing DM2 Skullkeep.Amazing.But my Problem is,when i´m killing the enemys,they regenerate and apear very soon again.I don´t have much time to sort my Weapons,drinks,money.....
why can´t there be enemy-free land when i´m thru there?is there a Patch for this??
uka8
Neophyte

Post by uka8 »

its the PC Version
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You have to keep fighting until you can stand toe to toe with creatures. Use fear effects, have plenty of healing potions pre-prepared, and lots of spells handy.

Also, poison clouds are good to give you time between attacks so you can fight longer and make sure you leave the fight in a decent state.

Is there a particular area th\t gives you trouble? I find the wolf area is a pain - learning guard minions and attack minion spells if you are high enough level can help protect you
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Or just use the "sod it and leg it" technique of just charging through, grabbing/finding whatever it is you need, and then getting out of there ;). I tend to do that in the area with the Whirlwinds, and, as Wuffy mentioned, the Wolves. Also, once you get past a certain point, unless you lock yourself in a room and remove the key, you'll only be able to sit about for a certain amonut of time before being attacked. But if you can manage a decent Fireball or two or whatever, you shouldn't have much problem :).

Post by uka8 »

Yes,the Wolves are actually the problem.When i´m playing games like this,i want to explore the whole area to find (secret)Stuff and things like that.But i must everytime run and fight ,hide and fight.Then find my collection of Arrows und knifes which i had thrown all over the area.And when i´m finished with this,all enemys are back to life.

I played(and finished) the game many years ago on a Sega CD Console.But i can´t remember that the Enemys renew again,so i thought it was a Bug in the PC Version.But now after your answers,i will find a Plan.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

If you have any Scout minion maps, you can try to trap the wolves in an area you don't need to be at, they won't attack minions. If necessary, you can also cast some very low level guard minions too. The wolf area has a secret entrance to the thorn demon area, so if you haven't attacked the thorn demons yet, you can get by resting there, and of course, it is usually safe to sleep in the caverns. The caverns under the wolf area has no bats in it.
uka8
Neophyte

Post by uka8 »

i´m thru with the Wolves.But now i´m Hungry for Exploring this Secret Thorn Demon Area.Where can i find an Entrance? :wink:
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

The normal entrance is before the Thicket Thief area gate if memory serves me correctly. The secret entrance is from the wolf area. If you are facing the ladder to go down to the cavern level from the wolf area, turn left. Go straight and it should be the first path you can take on your left. Follow it to the new entrance to the Thorn Demon area and I think you get a crossbow there, or something. Not really much of a secret, more of a shortcut.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If you're as far as the Wolves then you would've already been through the Thorn Demon area - they look like big err...rhino-type things, brown and green and they make a noise like dragons from DM/CSB. They drop steaks when you kill them so once you can take 'em down they're an easy source of food as they're just along the way from the starting town so easy to nip back to once you have the ability to do so from afar :).
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I also found those steaks to be a good souce of money early in the game. I'd just keep killing those thorn demons and taking the extra steaks back to town and selling them to the tavernkeeper. :wink:

The Axemen are also great for that, their axes get a good price from the weapons dealers. :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, and it keeps the Porter Minions busy carting the heaps of them over to the shops for you. Axes, that is :D.
Master Superior

lol, yeah. :lol:

The only trouble is yor characters reeeeaaaally get loaded down with all that gold and gems. :lol:

8)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The annoying thing is if you're far enough to have started the enemy Attack Minions coming after you, and one happens to try and zonk an incoming Porter Minion - then you have to (well, you don't have to...) run off and try to find a random pile of axes in the middle of nowhere where your Minion got blasted, lol.
Master Superior

So far, the minions I've encountered only appear when I step on certain tiles, but then again, I haven't entered the void area yet and that's when I hear those minions really start to get annoying.

But yeah, trying to find some random pile of items in the middle of nowhere is quite annoying. The worst part is it's usually because someone went and got themselves killed and had to be taken to an alter -- and their pile is in some monster infested area, which you'll have to try and fight your way into, short some critical items (like that all-powerful weapon or staff you really need).
deveon100
Neophyte

Re:

Post by deveon100 »

uka8 wrote:Yes,the Wolves are actually the problem.When i´m playing games like this,i want to explore the whole area to find (secret)Stuff and things like that.But i must everytime run and fight ,hide and fight.Then find my collection of Arrows und knifes which i had thrown all over the area.And when i´m finished with this,all enemys are back to life.

I played(and finished) the game many years ago on a Sega CD Console.But i can´t remember that the Enemys renew again,so i thought it was a Bug in the PC Version.But now after your answers,i will find a Plan.

You made me laugh on that one! i can remember the wolves very clearly, everytime i went in there i always felt like a chicken with my head cut off, running for my life getting stuck in mud on top of it. but the best thing is to use guard minions. set them all over the place and you should not have a problem.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Monsters again and again

Post by Ameena »

One thing you can do with the wolves, which I don't think has been mentioned here yet, is that if you have a bone you can throw it and a wolf will go and bring it back to you, so they're not instantly hostile or something, but will be if you attack them.
Master Superior

Re: Monsters again and again

There are also items on the other side of pits that are totally inaccessible, but if you throw a bone across the pit and wait for a wolf, it will jump the pit, grab the bone, along with any other items on that tile, and jump back across and head to you. So you actually do need the wolves if you want those inaccessible items.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”