What do you like/dislike about DM2 compared to original DM?

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: What do you like/dislike about DM2 compared to original

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

they could have done a lot more with DM2. the shops were barely useful, there was no real need for currency. it was slapped together poorly. the mapping was decent and they could have done better, but that also didn't or wasn't needed much.
keep your gor coin handy
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

The problem is: how to add game elements that people want to have, but keep the (mathematical) balance of the game.
You could play DM2 easily without using the shops at all. If there should be a real advantage using them, you'd have to make it practically impossible to play without them.
That's level design then, you can't blame the programmers for that.
I played Elder Scrolls Oblivion lately - and in the end I really disliked the given ways to build your own spells and items and load them with spells and the complex alchemy to make potions. One gets lost in that, especially when you finally have a hundred weak spells in an endless list to pick from. Don't want to discuss this game here, but it is a simple example how complexity can spoil the fun. Same with Masters of Orion. Edition 2 was real fun. MoO 3 not anymore. Think this is for a lot of games.

I liked the shops, because at this time we were used to them, having played Might & Magic and other ones.
But whatever modern game you take - they all run into the critical question, how to satisfy the players - because there are very different ones...
Hexcon
Novice

Post by Hexcon »

This may be considered an almost heretical statement, but I admit I like Dungeon Master 2 as much as Dungeon Master 1, if not more. I still think that due to the designers' and producers' decision to change some of the (even basic) elements and to keep only the main concept of the game, these two games cannot be compared as apples to apples.

For people trying to improve the games it might be of quite some interest to find out what people liked and disliked about them. Maybe even Dungeon Master 2 will be turned into a great fan creation some day, surpassing the original in quality and replayability.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

There are still some people pretty busy to get DM2 under control, and for this each post in this thread is still important.
Hexcon
Novice

Post by Hexcon »

That's what I was trying to say. :D Forming sentences in a language other than your native language sometimes is like attempting to create realistic pictures with fuse beads while at the same time being almost totally colorblind.

I think you said that you'd use the information gathered here to improve the original Dungeon Master 2, and you've asked users to save their games at "critical points". What points would that be exactly?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

There's so much to do that I can hardly test, so I use a savegame close to the beginning and close to the end.
That includes all basic operations, like handling items, animation steps, battling, spellcasting - but hardly includes all of the actuator mechanics. I could easily give coords to the party, but that wouldn't be very realistic. A really played game with snapshots at the beginning of levels or before different actuator types would be helpful for that reason.
Even couldn't give coords, because that's a very long time ago that i actually played it.
Makes no sense to upload wip-versions for others to test, because I have dozens of them per day.
That all is not urgent now, but it makes sense that people collect savegames to be tested when it's time for it.
As well as suggestions for later ideas.
I'm glad that Sphenx also works out compatibilities and differences to the DM/CSB-engine, because in the end it would be better if we could gather all the stuff as add-on for DSB and don't have more development-branches.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

That all is not urgent now, but it makes sense that people collect savegames to be tested when it's time for it.
so are you looking for the save games only??? there must be plenty out there... when i played DM2 on the PC, it wasn't too hard. took 4 days to complete i believe, it was who could finish it the fastest back then. it's been years and i think i got the original disc still. so if i played it again and saved often, is this what you need Bit?
keep your gor coin handy
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Sure, just plain savegames from an original run - of the DM2-PC-version.
Maybe there will be version-dependent differences, but those are of interest too.
Playing the english version that is available in the pedia in DOSbox generates good savegames as well - so, whoever gives it a try again, I'll be thankful.
Hexcon
Novice

Post by Hexcon »

I've played the game like seven or eight times during the last two years (always losing interest when entering the strange dimension because I never wanted the game to end :D). There should be lots of savegames on my PC and laptop, if you think you might need them I'll send them to you. Can't really say if they were created at critical points, though.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, DM2 is one of Notch's favourite games!
http://notch.net/about/

(Notch created Minecraft)
Huan
Neophyte

Post by Huan »

Well, replaying and finishing all 3 original games after awhile, and losing nostalgia factor for DM1 (or at least having the same nostalgia for DM2 as DM1), and having no more weird expectation that it should be more, I can say with certainty that for me, DM2 is better than DM1.
The difficulty is harder, but not to the point of CSB. I especially appreciate that most puzzles have more than 1 way to be solved. DM1 puzzles are more basic, while CSB is way too hard without a walkthrough.
I really appreciate the shops, and that you have something to use all the items you can find in the game for, as well as the new interface. The half-step is annoying, but it didn't matter anymore after 30 minutes of gameplay.
And of course, more variety on the maps and weather (rain and lightning at least) are a good bonus too.
I wasn't bothered by the technology addition (too used to it from other games, I guess).
What I didn't like was that to compensate for a shorter game, they raised the monster generation rate and Experience modifier, although Attack Minions are less annoying than in my memories (1-3 Berzerk, which you can get before meeting them, are enough to kill them until the last levels).
Too bad that there are no fan-made maps for DM2.
Now to play fan-made maps for DM1 and clones. Does anyone have any suggestion for the best ones out there?
(I know where to find them).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe that's cool about Notch (I play Minecraft). I wonder if he played the original DM as well, or just DM2.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Nice. I don't remember hearing anyway put DM2 as their favorite game, not even on this forum.

@Huan there is a list of custom dungeons here and here, with some reviews here. You can follow links to get some feedback
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Huan wrote: Too bad that there are no fan-made maps for DM2.
It's a matter of time .. and there are efforts to extend DM2 global size.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

@Huan:
For CSBWin, I recommend Towers of Chaos.
For RTC, I recommend Surgical Strike (requires a specific version of RTC, I think it's 0.37 or 0.38) or Sukumvit's Labyrinth. I'd like to point out Doom Blade as well, but since that is my creation, I can't objectively compare it to the works of others.
For DSB, there are few options, but Unintentioned Heroism is pretty good (and extremely funny).

Then, there are the two big ones: Conflux III for CSBWin and Tower of Champions for RTC. Both are gigantic and very hard, harder than CSB, so they might not be what you are looking for. Both are great if the difficulty doesn't put you off.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Re: What do you like/dislike about DM2 compared to original DM?

Post by JETENGINE »

My favourite of the entire DM series is Legend of Skullkeep. I try to do certain 'challenges' to make the game more replayable, such as:
  • Use only Torham and one of the ladies.
    Use only starting armour (or less) (shields not included as armour) for a two character team for the duration of the entire game. (Not yet done).
    Use only starting weapons (Not yet done).
    Use only matching sets of items.
    Kill all non-respawning monsters! (Including merchant guards but not the merchants.) (Not yet done)
Anyways, I hope to get to bed soon, it's 06:20 (6:20 AM) in my timezone right now, and I have been up for than twelve hours. Good morning, all.
Jay
Hanging by a thread.
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

Im surprised ive only just seen this now! I shall throw in my opinion.

+ Outdoor/Cave Areas (it was a nice addition rather than just grey walls throughout the entire game)
+ Dual Wield (being able to use both hands to fight instead of one)
+ Shops (i personally never had a problem with these other than if the list of items were long)
+ Weather (especially when the lightning got so severe, which jump-scared me a few times in the past)
+ Music (added more atmosphere to the game)
+ Mob AI (love how they try to dodge fireballs, those rhino-like creatures went berserk if you hit them with one XD)

DISLIKES
- Minions (hate how they can go right through you, too many of them and the constant respawning, all annoying)
- Halfstep (while it can be negated by wearing mithril hosen, i didnt like it)
- Minions
- Zo Portals (would have been nice if they could be closed permanently)
- Minions
- Torham (i dont like being forced with a starting character, keep it like the original DM and CSB)
- Minions
- Story (too short and too easy)
- Minions
- PC Version (too cartoony for my liking)
- Minions
- Dru-Tan (amiga version scared the hell out of me in my younger days, this was the only reason why i liked the PC version better XD)
- Minions (... i think you get the idea how much i hate these now >_>)
Immortal Dungeoneer.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Sera
I have a question, probably something silly but I need to know

What is - Halfstep (while it can be negated by wearing mithril hosen, i didnt like it)? I can't remember what this is.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think it's where when you move forward, you don't instantly ping into the next square (as in DM/CSB) but rather shift visibly forward with a brief pause at the halfway point.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

thanks Ameena
So you are saying it is a pause before moving but appear to have moved, like being injured?
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

No, you start gliding forward but momentarily hesitate at the halfway point, like you're taking two steps to get there, rather than just "teleporting" like in original DM/CSB.
Novice

Post by hana35 »

Weather(Rain,thunder)
Creatures Ai(Avoid attacks, AI evolved compared to DM)
Unique Creatures(Dru Tan Vexirk Giggler)
Use both hands(The battle became more complicated)
Shop(Money system)
Minions(It is the biggest feature, DM2 is Minions game)
Item(Lots of kinds,rechargeable,Teleport) Meteor Blade:流星剣
Spell(Reflection,push,pull)
Story(Various secret items,There is a way to beat monsters)
Music(The best masterpiece on DM series)
Map(Magic maps, it helps a lot)

DISLIKES

Too difficult (AMIGA version of DM2) PC version is DM2 for children
Dragoth is too strong

Theron's Quest is the most difficult as the complexity of the dungeon
Nexus is the most difficult procurement food and water
DM series The strongest enemy is Dragoth
Kundelstein
Neophyte

Re:

Post by Kundelstein »

Hi guys, welcome. My first post here:

- weather effects, rain, puddles, lighting
- light
- dual welding
- varied enemies with their personalities: howling wolves, thieves, and such
- pushing - pulling tables, though implementation wasn't the best
- outdoor areas

DISLIKES:
- torches recharging after mounting on the wall
- the way items are chosen in the store
- that the "town" didn't feel like it at all
- no NPC's - I'm not a purist and I expected from DM2 some interaction with other characters (shopkeeper doesn't count)
- the game area was just too small and crammed
- having already defined party member
- lack of story driven gameplay (like it was done in EOB, LOL and even Ishar) - again, not a purist

beowuuf wrote: Fri May 23, 2008 7:51 pm Basically before RTC really took off I had even day dreamed and created lots of notes in a paper notepad about a DM2 like game , except much, much larger. Sadly, it won't see the light of day, at best i started a book based on the ideas that has a tiny chance of being seen one day.
Did you get your book finished? I would love to have a chance to read it. I remember writing in some notebook all my ideas about "how I would do it better". Half of it was just naive thinking as I didn't realize various game design consequences (I was young). The other half was just not possible with the available technology at the time.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Did you ever play Stonekeep? PC game from something like 1994 (give or take a year). That had a clear story and a bunch of NPCs you could meet, many of which were potential party members (though you as a player didn't really get to choose whether they joined or not - if they asked and you had space, they'd be added to your party). There weren't any outdoor areas, it was 100% a dungeon crawl like DM/CSB, but there was a town/settlement or two with non-hostile (unless you attacked them) NPCs and perhaps a merchant or two.

Oh, also, welcome to the forum :D.
Archmastiff

Re: Re:

Post by beowuuf »

Kundelstein wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:56 pm
beowuuf wrote: Fri May 23, 2008 7:51 pm Basically before RTC really took off I had even day dreamed and created lots of notes in a paper notepad about a DM2 like game , except much, much larger. Sadly, it won't see the light of day, at best i started a book based on the ideas that has a tiny chance of being seen one day.
Did you get your book finished? I would love to have a chance to read it. I remember writing in some notebook all my ideas about "how I would do it better". Half of it was just naive thinking as I didn't realize various game design consequences (I was young). The other half was just not possible with the available technology at the time.
Nah, it never expanded beyond the concept stage sadly. Probably still have the notepads and computer files buried deep in some dark corners I guess!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Omg Wuffy! I haven't seen you here in aaaages! :O :D

Post by Kundelstein »

Hi Ameena, hello beowuuf!
Ameena wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:11 pm Did you ever play Stonekeep?
Hahaha! I remember the game from the old days, but as a die-hard Amiga fan I didn't have a PC and could check it out only at a friend's place.

Obviously, I was jealous of FMVs and smooth animation. I liked the story and all "being like in a movie" thing. There were however some things I hated, for example, enemies were placed in some strange places on the grid. the interface was a mess. I also remember that it had a vibe of more like the adventure game instead of what I back then considered RPG.

The biggest problem with grid-based RPG's is that if you try to make it full screen, you have to remove all this fun of stuffing things inside of your backpack. I don't know how I would do such game today: UI overlay on the screen or smaller "action view" window.

To keep the topic, I think that the UI is the biggest improvement in DM2. Opened chests were in the right panel instead of full screen panel. I really liked that. For me maybe it would be even better if they removed the hand icons from the top bar and just left them on the right, with using by right click in EOB style. But as it is now if I'm not mistaken, you can play the game with just left mouse button.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Stonekeep didn't so much have "stuffing things into your backpack" as "stuffing them into your magic scroll that turned items into pictures until you wanted to use them" :D. I quite liked how the magic system worked, with you finding runestaves and needing to carve the runes on them - the rune for the spell you wante to cast (eg Firebolt), plus your choice of various other "meta runes" that would alter the spell, making it more powerful or whatever. I'm not too sure what you mean about enemies being in "strange places on the grid" - monster layout was basically the same as in DM/CSB/DM2, just with smoother animations due to the more advanced nature of the technology or whatever.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”