Skullkeep challenge.

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Thorham
Apprentice

Skullkeep challenge.

Post by Thorham »

Hi folks,

Basically this thread is about a challenge I've completed years ago, and I though it would be interesting to share it here.

The challenge:

1. Solo.
2. No fighter skills (no exceptions).
3. No ninja skills, except for throwing bombs.
4. May only use magic from items, including charged items.

Tell me what you think about it!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm not sure how you accomplish this, I assume dodging and pushing creatures for the most part, and using natural trap areas and doors/pits, but surely without any levelling up except from damage you are pretty vulnerable...I assume you buy a sack load of VI potions and keep them topped up

Do you just play fast enoough no not generate minions, or do you use item weapons to dispose of them?

How about dargoth-do you buy fighter and guard minions fro the shop? I don't imagine items alone cut it with dargoth, he seems to be able to create a nasty swarm that usually only good manay and fighter levels can cut through
Thorham
Apprentice

Post by Thorham »

beowuuf wrote:I'm not sure how you accomplish this, I assume dodging and pushing creatures for the most part, and using natural trap areas and doors/pits, but surely without any levelling up except from damage you are pretty vulnerable...I assume you buy a sack load of VI potions and keep them topped up
It's dodging, mostly. And what can't be dodged, is killed; there's always a way. As for experiance, Torham is an expert wizard at the end, because using wizard skills gives you exp.
beowuuf wrote:Do you just play fast enoough no not generate minions, or do you use item weapons to dispose of them?
The minions can't be avoided, as far as I know, but they can be killed using the Tech Shields reflector spell to bounce their lightening bolts back at them. It's a bit tedious, but once you get the hang of it, it's a reliable way to dispose of them.
beowuuf wrote:How about dargoth-do you buy fighter and guard minions fro the shop? I don't imagine items alone cut it with dargoth, he seems to be able to create a nasty swarm that usually only good manay and fighter levels can cut through
Well, I have to dissapoint you a bit here. I don't exactly remember how I defeated the end boss, I remember beating him by softening him up with all the charged items that can be obtained in the game, saving up bombs and reflecting his spells back at close range. I don't remeber using minions in the game, but they might be usefull here; good idea.

I also remeber the boss being as tough as nails in this challenge, and I plan on beating him again to come up with a reliable strategy, because I think I got lucky the first time. Most of this challenge is not as tough as you think, simply by using the Tech Shields reflector spell properly. Without this item, I don't think the challenge would be possible.

If you're skilled at DM2 solo, why don't you try it for your self 8)
Thorham
Apprentice

Re: Skullkeep challenge.

Post by Thorham »

Hehe, I guess I remebered wrong, and got it mixed up with some other game. I found the save game with Torham progressed very far in this challenge. I think I may try it again. It is possible, however, and defeating Dragoth probably isn't even going to be that hard apart from not getting hit. Solo is normally already dead easy (Dragoth is a big baby) and this just adds some actual challenge.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

I can believe! If you like try an another solo challege: my brother completed the game WITHOUT SOUNDS NOR MOUSE! He used keyboard to control the cursor and made it! I tried too and got some way but not very long. Of course you HAVE to solo because you'r "mouse" is too slow to control more champions. THAT will be a challege!
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Thorham
Apprentice

Post by Thorham »

It's true it can be done. The old save game I have has Torham in a situation where he's getting as many charged items and bombs as possible. After that it's straight onto Dragoth. About levels: You do actually gain a few because of the reflector shield's reflector spell spamming (needed to kill minions). You'll also gain exp from using charges on charged items.

Anyone tried this challenge?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I played some DM2 for the first time ever recently, I think it will be some time before I could even consider a challenge like this. :wink:

The current save game you are playing; have you actually finished or is it still a work in progress?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Please keep savegames at points of interest, I need them to test my remake.
Thorham
Apprentice

Post by Thorham »

oh_brother wrote:The current save game you are playing; have you actually finished or is it still a work in progress?
Haven't played it for years, don't know why. Perhaps I'll pick it up again.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”