Still a purchase item, or downloadable somewhere?

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Still a purchase item, or downloadable somewhere?

Post by MasterWuuf »

I purchased this for PC, from Sears I believe, before I even had a computer that was capable of playing it.

I think I carried that "new" game around for about a year or more,
until I finally broke down and "probably built" a computer (I can't even remember, so much water's run under so many bridges since then),
and spent the time necessary to "get into" the game.

I had trouble figuring out the "map" booklets/boards/whatever.
Once I figured those out, I thought, "How cool."

I liked the early music, and the bass-sounding march of the "food item skullkeep cows" as well. :wink:

Hated the dumb bats, at first, but got over it.

So, is this still a "purchase" item, or is there a good site to download it for play?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It sounds like you still haven't checked out the Encyclopaedia, it has all the games as downloads:

http://dmweb.free.fr.

Skullkeep is here:

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/250

You can still find it regularly on eBay if you want to buy an original version.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

probably worth mentioning, but rather self explanatory if you ?carouse? through the ency, is that there are 2 different versions available (graphics wise)for DM2.
masterWuuf you did not mention what game you bought in your post, would have not hurt,,,
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

zoom wrote:probably worth mentioning, but rather self explanatory if you ?carouse? through the ency, is that there are 2 different versions available (graphics wise)for DM2.
masterWuuf you did not mention what game you bought in your post, would have not hurt,,,
Sorry, just saw this. :oops:
I purchased DM2: Legend of Skullkeep for the PC.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

This is all from years-old memory, but might help anyway

If you have an original PC version you can play it either by installing the tool DosBox found at

http://www.dosbox.com/

Take the time to properly read through the readme and configure the setup so your cd drives and game directories etc. are properly mounted.

Of course you can also have a genuine MS-DOS or Win98SE partition and play the game there, that is of you have proper drivers four your hardware. Getting a generic ms-dos mouse driver and execute it before starting the game should be easy, grafic cards usually allow you to use VGA too, proper sound drivers can often be difficult to obtain. I found rebooting a Win98SE partition in ms-dos mode and have a batch execute a mouse command and possibly a sound driver generally worked better for my hardware, than having just an ms-dos partition.

For some strange reason some people reported that sound problems they had vanished if they started pc dm1 in ms-dos before starting dm2. I don't know exactly about this, but the various reports about this phenomenon seem to be genuine to me.

On the Encyclopaedia there are also a couple of patches. In my experience on most systems these patches do help, but on some systems they cause problems. So try starting/playing without patches first. Only if you have problems without the patches try to solve them by installing them.

If necessary, try using the game patch only first. Only use the HMI driver update if you have serious sound problems without it. There are some machines that seem to have more problems with than without that patch, although some machines won't run this game with proper sound if you don't use it. So try out without first, if all works fine, skip this patch, if it doesn't try it.

Before you start the game for the first time you have to run the setup once. When you do, choose manuallly no sound at all. Then test if the game runs at all. Then go back to the setup and try to get proper sound. If you should have a sound card that keeps crashing the setup, at least the game has now saved one configuration that works - albeit soundless - and will allow the game to start. You can get caught in a setup loop on starting the game if you don't do it in that order.

Of course, you simply might play the RTC version of DM2. Isn't exactly the same, but I actually like it even more than the original one.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Re: Still a purchase item, or downloadable somewhere?

Post by MasterWuuf »

I downloaded Dosbox, with the help of a 'late night/early morning' member.
I'm enjoying Skulkeep.

I figured out how to pick an item at the store that was not in stock (big X through it),
stand at the 'right' table and place all my 'I wanna sell' items in a pile,
then pick an 'el cheapo' item that is in stock, then watch the storekeeper give me a better price for my items.

Later, I decided to check out the cheats to figure how to make an attack drone,
so I noticed someone had already figured out the shopkeeper cheat. :oops:

Those attack drones are great in the 'axemen' section. Toss a bunch of attack drones in ahead of you, then pick up all the axes.

I just entered the graveyard, forgetting the gate locks behind you. Grrr. I'd forgotten wonderful little things like that. :lol:
"Wuuf's big brother"

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”