Going further into the clone bug

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Going further into the clone bug

Post by DragonsLover »

Hello! It's been a while since the last time I posted here.

I just discovered something weird with the cloning bug where you press space bar twice after selecting a character in his chamber, I don't know if it has been discovered before : when you perform the bug and the character portrait is at the top of the screen, the game didn't assign an inventory for that character yet. If you somehow right-click on his portrait, you will be brought to an empty inventory with weird invisible items. Here are the interesting items you may find :
  • "Green face" (tons of them)
  • Eye of Time
  • Spiral Staff
  • Cape
  • Cloak of Night
  • Ra Sar Shield
  • Vi Potion
  • ? Bones (you can even bring it to the Vi Altar and the skeleton will resurrect but with no effects, I guess)
  • Gold coin
  • Ya Key
  • "Dead Thorn Demon" :shock:
Be warned that, once again, the game may freeze and even crash completely if you duplicate the items you get or place them in inappropriate places.

The "Dead Thron Demon" item is really weird. It is represented as a square with vertical coloured lines, but if you point it to Torham's eye, you will see a few sprites of the Thorn Demon. The funny thing is that, if you place the item in the middle of the square in front of you, you'll get a suspended harmless fireball and, most importantly, steaks (like if a Thorn Demon died)! In fact, you can even repeat the same glitch to get an infinite supply of steaks. :lol:
ParuNexus
Adept

Re: Going further into the clone bug

Post by ParuNexus »

looks like some of it was mentioned but not nearly as good as your description
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... tem#p55630 near the end of the thread talked about "the green face". now are these "new items" really items or the glitch which represents them? might also be a good time to check which item subset they are(since shops only take items that are similar to what they sell). also might be interesting to test out tossing the dead demon at npc for effect.

dead rhino have a fun little bit with shop keeper if you throw it when shop owner is by your table it moves him 1 square... seems purely graphical more testing needed.
guards punch it 1 time and it dies and ignore you completely so no argo effect. I should see if it can calm a guard.
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I've tested this; this is a nasty bug. It is very like the character sheet is pointing to a wrong area of memory, then interpreting those bits into items, ending up with strange things ...
Green faces appear when identifying an item which is not present within the graphics.dat.
The Thorn Demon thing is that you really have a Thorn Demon in the inventory! The fact that you put it on floor (or throw it, it is also fun to watch) will make it automatically die because Thorn Demon is not on the list of creatures within the map you are in. I bet if you try to put your "Dead Thorn Demon" in the Thorn Demon Thicket, then it may live (may depend how its HP is interpreted?).

I've found that you also have in your scabbard a "Spectre" and one "Evil Minion". The Evil Minion doesn't die, but doesn't attack.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I have come to this stupid thing to do : cloning a champion!
Well, since the interface holds a champion even not resurrected, you can select it again and do the trick several times, ending in having virtually 3 times the same champion. But there is still the problem of duplicated item that will crash the game later (unless you never touch those items). If there were champions with no item, that would work perfectly.
RotaKra
Neophyte

Post by RotaKra »

Wow finally found a mention of this somewhere. I accidentally stumbled upon this the first time I was playing this game as a kid in the elementary school. What I found was that if you pick a green face from one of the slots and throw it on the ground, it spews out top armor and then after a few save/loads also weapons. This means I started the game with all of the best armor, and a lot of surplus armor to sell for money.. making the game slightly easier for me :)

The "extra items from green face" exploit works, if you always return the green face to the frozen hero, then save the game, restart, load, and pick the green face again, and throw it to the ground again. No freezes whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fJrDGl81j0
Last edited by RotaKra on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archmaster Champion
Neophyte

Post by Archmaster Champion »

Hehe! Good! :lol: I don't know about that. :idea: :!:
By the way, "Steal items bug", I find it many years ago but alas, it's almost useless!
It is very risky to use it. The game can crush or glitch much later... :idea: :wink:

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”