Has anyone built a custom DM2 dungeon?

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Simon
Artisan

Has anyone built a custom DM2 dungeon?

Post by Simon »

Wondering if anyone has made one, and to what extent you can create them with the tools in the sticky... such as shops, etc.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Has anyone built a custom DM2 dungeon?

Post by Sophia »

I think most people use CSBwin, DSB and/or RTC for editing and don't bother with the original engines anymore.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1232

Nottoo original, as it is the original DM dungeon converted to DM2.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

You summoned me.
Wow, that was nearly eight years ago ... What I have been doing during all this time ? :|

The dungeon pointed by Christophe is just a basic translation of the DM layout playable for DM2. But it misses all the fun stuff.
Anyway, I got a better version nowadays, but I need to make a custom graphics.dat for DM2, which I have not finished yet.

For the current available tools (I am not talking about those not released yet :wink: ), I guess using DMDC2 and DM2DGED are sufficient enough.
About the shops, I am not sure what you are meaning, I guess you have to build a shop the way it is done in DM2. I am not sure about how is controlled the price system. Maybe from the Merchant you use?

The 2 major drawbacks I see making a DM2 dungeon is that you can build big maps but still have only 1022 actuators, which is not very much; the second is that the creatures stats are not coded within the graphics.dat but in hard table in the .exe (PCDM2). So that means using a static number of possible stats (I think there are 64 possible types); so making custom creatures means providing a custom skull.exe.

And I am not among the most people Sophia talked about :lol:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Glad to see playing with DM2's file format is not dead! I remember that DM translation - really eight years ago???
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

interesting Topic
swordman108
Neophyte

Post by swordman108 »

I just got DM2 re installed a few days ago after getting onto this site and wish I had done it some time ago. I LOVE both the original (I rented it so much on SNES when I was a kid the video store owner gave it to me) and The legend of skullkeep for pc. After getting onto this site I quickly decided to get DMDC2 and DMBuild. I have looked around on this site and found out that there really isnt much for DM2.. I am trying to build a new graphics.dat file right now. I would love to get a new one. About the only thing that I didnt like about DM2 was the fact that is is so "cartoony".. If anyone knows where I can get a new graphics file that is a bit creepier let me know. Also I am working on a new dungeon or two but they will be more like a one character "make it out alive" style.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Hello swordman number 108.
The fact is that there are several graphics.dat files, creepiest being the one for PC Beta IMHO - but you probably will have a look at the ones for Amiga or MegaCD : if you get them, open them with DM2GDED. Currently you can't exchange those graphics.dat between DM2 versions, so you can't replace the PC gdat this way. The current solution is to rebuild through DM2GDED a modified version of the PC/Mac gdat with data from Beta, MegaCD or Amiga.

But wait before rushing on this, because the building of such a graphics.dat is currently in my plans : PM me if you are interested and tell me what you would change.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I reply to myself.
Something is coming soon as a custom DM2 dungeon : the original DM1 dungeon.
That will show you what can be done with DM2 format.

If you want to try it (under the developers forum) : http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 54&t=28903

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”