Safe Markers

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Safe Markers

Post by MasterWuuf »

I figured out a spell that made some kind of blue ball. I figure it is meant to be a marker (like the ZO KATH RA).
They seem to last quite awhile, but I noticed a number of them disappeared in the 'Rhino-Steak' area.
Well, they look like Rhinos to me, so that's what I call them.

The limbs left over from bashing the trees seem to last well.

Any better options, as far as a longterm way to mark a path for future travel?
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Safe Markers

Post by beowuuf »

Create too many 'common' items and the game deletes them to keep space in its database.

You need to use items that are not common, I guess. Not sure what is marked that way and what is not, you'd need to know from someone who has looked in to the code.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

In the standard DM engine, anything created in-game is marked as "unimportant." That means food drops, monster weapons, and magically created items. I think (but I'm not sure) that there is an algorithm that grabs stuff from afar rather than right out of your inventory or right in front of you, so the stuff that vanished was probably lying there a while, or you've got a LOT of junk in your game. The only way to have an item you can be assured of never disappearing is to use some static item or weapon that was in-game since the beginning. I'm not sure how shop items etc. in DM2 are handled.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Thanks. Makes sense.

I think the branches get moved around, at times, so I tried the magic hackie-sacks. Overall, they've been a benefit.
I may have to keep an armful of those branches handy.

P.S. I made the mistake of moving a table in the way of a security guard, as I was moving it to a corner.
He made it into smaller pieces soon enough.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

MasterWuuf wrote:I figured out a spell that made some kind of blue ball. I figure it is meant to be a marker (like the ZO KATH RA).
The YA EW magical marker, which appears on magical maps when you activate DAIN button.
Sophia wrote:I'm not sure how shop items etc. in DM2 are handled.
There is a stack of many items just behind the shop table.
The merchant takes them all in his large pockets.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Sphenx wrote:
MasterWuuf wrote:I figured out a spell that made some kind of blue ball. I figure it is meant to be a marker (like the ZO KATH RA).
The YA EW magical marker, which appears on magical maps when you activate DAIN button.
Sophia wrote:I'm not sure how shop items etc. in DM2 are handled.
There is a stack of many items just behind the shop table.
The merchant takes them all in his large pockets.
Glad you cleared up the merchant/items thing for me, Sphenx.

P.S. I forgot I needed my magic maps, so when I got past the graveyard to the 'moving pit' building I had some real fun at first.
Oh yeah, and I forgot (for a short time) how to get the item off the table.
Has it really been that long, since I played Skulkeep? :oops:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

MasterWuuf wrote: P.S. I forgot I needed my magic maps, so when I got past the graveyard to the 'moving pit' building I had some real fun at first.
I like the fact that DM2 introduced invisible creatures to simulate such behaviour.
Under the pits you encounter the invisible walker that opens doors.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

Sphenx wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 pm I like the fact that DM2 introduced invisible creatures to simulate such behaviour.
Under the pits you encounter the invisible walker that opens doors.
And as the moving holes are classified as creatures, they actively chase the player, minions shoot at them, and they can't share a space with a minion. In other words, create a scout and you become pretty much invulnerable to the moving pits.
Hanging by a thread.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohh wow, that's an amazing idea :D. I never thought of that...but then, I never knew the moving pits counted as creatures, only that they seem to "chase" you. One day I expect I'll replay DM2 and then I can try this out :D.
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

Yep. I tested the hypothesis before I joined this site and came back with a positive on the testing phase. You can also put down guard minions, but they don't last very long, seeing how they try to (unsuccessfully) blast an incorporeal creature and run out of magic.
You can also use scout minion trick to do this in the teleporter room right around "REFLECTOR PRACTICE". You CAN try to use guard minions, but again, they hardly last a minute due to using all their magic. There is one more hazard as well: what does a teleporter do to a lightning bolt again? I'll leave you to your own conclusion.

To all with as much help as I can give, Jay
Hanging by a thread.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”