I need a little help with a program i found dmdc2

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
deveon100
Neophyte

I need a little help with a program i found dmdc2

Post by deveon100 »

Hello i am a huge fan of the dm series, and I found this program dmdc2 so I can edit dungeon master 2 for the pc, I would like to replay it but this time i want to make the game harder and add more monsters and stuff to it. i really love this editor, but i have one problem. any time i insert a creature on any map level it shows up when i play but it is always dead. i have tried alot of differant ways but it never works right. although i did manage to get a bat to show up, but he wouldnt fight or move he was just stuck in the sky lol. if anyone could help me with this i would much appreciet it. forgive me if i didnt post this in the right place.
thank you
Deveon
deveon100
Neophyte

Re: I need a little help with a program i found dmdc2

Post by deveon100 »

Bump...I am very desperate :) please if anyone can help me thx!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

A lack of response usually means no one can help because they've not used the program in question. I'm sorry, but it looks like you asked a question that no one can answer.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

My trolls did some Google search and found that the program in question was made by kentaro-k.21 (http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/719) who happens to be a member here. Perhaps you should ask him directly, either via PM here or try to contact him via e-mail given on the pages that my trolls discovered in the crypt (http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/danmasu-lj/). I can't help you anymore, I've never heard of DMDC2.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sphenx and kentaro at least did some cool provisional tools and do pop by from time to time, but not regularly enough they'll catch this soprt of post right away. Definitely directly contact regarding the issue.

The bat problem might be an issue of a hex code that indicated tile placement - bats may need to be centralised, nd if they are placed in the 'one of four' position they get stuck.

DM1 only allowed certain monsters per level (it was a trick to allow for maximum monsters/colourts, etc with minimum storage overhead. IF the same trick exists in DM2, or is carried on, you might find that only a few monster types can exist in a set level. The rest will 'die' the second they are spawned, it happens in DM1 and CSB if you drop creatures down pits or teleport them to unsupported levels. Try placing the same monster and see if they live first.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.

Sorry for late reply.

And, thanks for trying DMDC2!
it shows up when i play but it is always dead.
The creatures need to be declared in the Map definition:
- Select the map. [Shift]+[Left click]
- [Edit]→[Edit Level descriptor...]
- At Creatures group, open the drop down list, and then select (Add new one...)
- Select your creature.
- [OK]

although i did manage to get a bat to show up, but he wouldnt fight or move he was just stuck in the sky lol
It looks strange... I don't know why, sorry.

And, it is tower bat, or cavern bat?
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

pop back then :)

A Cavern Bat will like to sleep on the roof while a Tower Bat will never.
Maybe it is stuck because not defined in the creatures group ? I may try that...

@Beowuuf: in DM2 consider all creatures are centralised. You never see a creature in any of the 4 possible positions like in DM, nor you see a group of creatures on the same tile ...
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Kind of old but fyi, it is weird that ppl around haven't heard of these DM2 PC tools like lol.. so much better than DM1 and all go DM1? I recently tried them and it seems that there is indeed error when you try to place OUT OF PLACE creatures - things that aren't supposed to be there- they die when you place them

What is out of place? Example: grass area outside the house and shops, if you have played the regular game there are only Globs/blobs and thicket thief - these can be placed and won't die as the game somehow has permitted these two kinds there

This solved it for me as well:

The creatures need to be declared in the Map definition:
- Select the map. [Shift]+[Left click]
- [Edit]→[Edit Level descriptor...]
- At Creatures group, open the drop down list, and then select (Add new one...)
- Select your creature.
- [OK]
Haven't tried it but I noticed that the place outside the shops and your house declares only Globs and Thicket Thief, no wonder these two work and others die instantly, that must be it, so thanks.

Side question:

How to make a creature respawn after X time when you kill them? Some on the map permanently disappear and in other places they respawn.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.
How to make a creature respawn after X time when you kill them? Some on the map permanently disappear and in other places they respawn.
Try "Creature generator" actuator.

And then, place an "Activator, relay 1" actuator at the creature's floor.
- Set "Count" to "500".
- Set "Locator" to tile of "Creature generator" actuator.
- It is triggered when your creature is defeated.

You can find samples from Map#41 at upper left part (2 Digger worms).

Thanks

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”