Questions when using the editors for DM2 (PC)

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Re: Questions when using the editors for DM2 (PC)

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.
It is up to you if you want to make these editable or not, just let me know if you will do, it doesn't matter to me. I will eventually have to use Yellowish and Red colors for these two bars..
I don't want to harass you. Sorry for my carelessness. And please don't mind about it.

I think you are one of core user of DM2GDED/DMDC2. So I just wanted to share about current limitation.
Perfect! But can the 2nd be Paste new class? Cause I think a new DAT file would mean, we wouldn't be able to simply paste it into an existing DAT file? Like you have Graphics.dat backup and Graphics.dat that you modify from one file to another - that was my point :)
I want to confirm the detail.

You mean this?
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/paste_backup.png

I thought this.
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/im_ex.png

I will select one which you want.
I suggest you use entries within category 7 (interface) along food/water/poison images (so word entries for indexes 6, 7 and 8 ). However can it target the 256 colors palette instead of the 16 colors one ?
Thanks!

I will try it :)
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Open the songlist.dat in an hexadecimal editor :

Each value is corresponding to a HMP music number.
The first value is then the music for the first map (vault chamber); the second value is the music for skullkeep roof, etc ...
Thanks! Solved Songlist.dat and I did set musics for each Map. 00 Music could not be assigned (there was no music played) but I created a new item '1D' with the music from 00 and setting a map to it works. Still it would be nice to find a way to import external music.
Sphenx wrote: OK, I take the sun clan village as example since there are many links :

http://dmbuilder.sphenxmusics.fr/extern ... p_link.png

1) the tile where there is the teleporter + actuator (cross scene).
2) the tile "behind" where there is another teleporter.

That makes 2 teleporters + 1 actuator for a map link on only one side (on the same map) hence you need another 2 teleporters + 1 actuator the same way for the other map to be linked (thus 4 teleporters + 2 actuators for a proper maps link).
Check again the map by yourself to study how this is done
OVERLAP, ON TOP OF ONE ANOTHER... these are the words I needed. I didn't notice that it is 2 teleporters on one map ABOVE the same teleporters on the other map and didn't understand how you see 4 teleporters, I thought it was only 2 teleporters from only ONE of the maps and that the other map didn't have its own teleporters.

This finally solved the vision problem when entering forward
I did EXACTLY like Map 17 is connected to Map 25

THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I WALK BACKWARD, I GO THROUGH THE ARC BUT IT STILL SEEMS TO BE THE SAME AREA AND WHEN YOU turn around, you see just an empty field, but if I enter forward all is fine you see the next area with all its grass and walls., the problem is entering backward, you cannot walk backward to next area UNLIKE the default teleporters.

For a reference, check out my new DM2 Dungeon.dat, go through the teleporter in Map 22 (Torham's house - take the one near the ladder, the other one goes to the void), enter through the nearby Arc (backward) in the Gorgon area and walk backwards.. you will see.

NOTES:
Teleporter at Origin (Green selection box) (Teleporter 1) Properties: Anything, Flag 0, 180'd
Teleporter at Destination (Grey selection) (Teleporter 2) Proeprties: Anything, Flag 1, Noop (what does that mean 'Noop' ???)
If going back to previous map is the same direction as going to the next map, reverse Teleport 1 and Teleport 2 Properties.

Last edited by emetar on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

kentaro-k.21 wrote:Hi.
I think you are one of core user of DM2GDED/DMDC2. So I just wanted to share about current limitation
What I meant is, is there a way to make at least ONE more terrain to the Graphics.Dat? If there is no way, no problem, I will just modify the Rooftop as the less needed.
I want to confirm the detail.
You open graphics.dat from your Folder 1, you rightclick the Item e.g Weapons > 1A Crossbow so you copy '1A CROSSBOW', then you open another grahpics.dat file in e.g Folder 2, you go to Weapons\ and there you paste '1A CROSSOBOW' from the previous file - with all fields and entries such as Raw, Text, Images, it would be nice if this can be done.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/new_party_clrs.png

Is it enough?
Thanks but how did you do that? Can I do it myself or it requires some complex coding? Yes I use DosBox + DOS/PC version of DM2 and that\'s what Im editing.

Basically yes, the idea is to change the bars without this changing the colors of Weight, Food, Water, Menu Yellow Text. Actually I don't mind Blue Water bar = my Blue color and Poison = my Green, but the problem is when Food/Water become at Yellow/Red bar the Yellow/Red take the colors from Yellow and Red Heroes.

Please tell me if using another Terrain is possible or not, also if I can change Life/mana bars like you did or not, so that I know if I should keep Yellow/Red (if I can't change the colors like you did

- Also is there a way to determine on which Maps it will be raining and on which not, or is this only based on terrain? If I modify the cave I could directly use this rainless terrain
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

I really hate those Teleports are wasting my time, in another place where I do it the same way as entering the Chamber of the Void to the Void, I'm trying to make entering FROM OUTER MAP TO VOID smoothly but as you can see on the way back, so many images are wrong:

I know usually you set the Rotation (the one that you call Noop (what is that?), 180 degrees) on the with Actuator but in this case I had to change rotation in the Teleport itself. Here is my config:

Map 38: Easy-peasy no need Cross-Scene Teleport when you see MOUNTAINS (that's right, the Rooftop when customized will be a whole new world (Barrens/Wasteland terrain) I am making in this portal!). You can see you enter straight and the corridor in the new map is straight ahead, for the purpose:

Map 38 has it like that

T2 - To Map 48's Floor (just next to the Teleports) (Noop)
T1 - Teleport to Map 48's Teleport (180'd, Flag 0), Animated Mountains, all is fine - this allows you to see the corridor on the new map when you move North from Map 38 to Map 48

You come from here (south) and go Up

From Map 48 back to Map 38:

T2 - Brings to Map 38's floor (next to Teleportsr) (180'd, Flag 1) - yes I had to change Rotation here, so that you face forward from where you enter - the corridor in the void, otherwise you face the portal again when you enter the void
T1 - Brings to Map 38's T1, (Noop)

You come from here (south) and go Up

But the problem is with images, how to fix the images? As you can see from Roof back to the Void, you see the Roof before entering the Void? Also the beige gate instead of transparent (frame 4). - Notice that here I can move forward/backward without having the problem that I posted above with the Trees/Graveyard area
You can still CHECK THIS DAT FILE (same as above file)

Side question: Just like I got no transparency on images where you position the heroes on the ground (now fixed), I modified the SPLASH image (when enemy or poison deals damage to your hero) - now the Numbers that take damage 1 or 2 etc appear on grey background so e.g 1▒ ▒2 - can this be fixed as well with transparency?
Last edited by emetar on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Just quick reply.
Please tell me if using another Terrain is possible or not
I'll try with skwin. I'll let you know if there is good news :)
also if I can change Life/mana bars like you did or not
It can be done by editing graphics.dat. Use it with skwin. It won't work on retail DM2.
EDIT: I'll publish it today's night (14 hours later?)
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

I intend to keep the the DOS/PC DM2 on which I am making it, cause I use it for Dosbox etc. So if I cannot make a new terrain with the DOS version, I will just modify another of the existing ones. Maybe the rooftop - which gives me an idea - can DM2GDED delete items? I want to delete the Rooftop terrain and duplicate an existing Grass or other at its place. It should work since I am replacing not adding a 6th terrain.

Same for Life/Mana colors, if I cannot do it on DOS version, I will just use yellowish/red.. Btw if anyone can answer my questions above with the Teleporters even take a look at my Dungeon.dat would be nice, take your time.
Also is there a way to determine on which Maps it will be raining and on which not, or is this only based on terrain? If I modify the cave I could directly use this rainless terrain
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.

about skwin, player colors are defined like this.
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/player_clrs.png

food/water's red/yellow bars also can be defined. i've not tested yet.
at [07 Interface - Character Sheet][00],
- add "Word value" [06 00 00]. food's color from 256 colors palette.
- add "Word value" [07 00 00]. water's color.
- add "Word value" [09 00 00]. yellow (food/water).
- add "Word value" [0A 00 00]. red (food/water).

new release.
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DMDC2_DM2G ... 4_02_04.7z
can DM2GDED delete items? I want to delete the Rooftop terrain and
now, it is implemented.

Rev.8@20140204 SPX:
⦁ imp:ui: "Delete this sub-class" implemented.
⦁ imp:ui: "Export this sub-class to a new file" implemented.
⦁ imp:ui: "Import from a file" implemented.
⦁ imp:ui: "Copy this sub-class to clipboard" implemented.
⦁ imp:ui: "Paste from clipboard" implemented.
So if I cannot make a new terrain with the DOS version
Sorry, I have no good idea.

I have attached skwin too. If you have any chance to test your plans on skwin, please let me know.
Btw if anyone can answer my questions above with the Teleporters even take a look at my Dungeon.dat would be nice, take your time.
I'll check later ;)

And I'll check your prior posts too.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Thanks for the update on DM2GDED, it's nice to be able to remove and paste items you add, useful to have. Skwin needs some OpenAL32.dll file to run but it's OK, I will stick to DOS anyway and your dm2gded/dmdc2 tools. I will play around even with the terrains and colors, who knows, something may happen to work from these two.

EDIT: cannot use another Terrain it seems.. (and as I said I will stick to the DOS version), if you duplicate some existing one, you can still see it as 06 but you also see the green/blue lines and dots as I showed here.

I will just DELETE the rooftop, duplicate e.g 01 into 04 (rooftop) and customize that one, I will use Stone corridor terrain for the rooftop and include some Wall Ornate with the same look as the Balcony+roof to imitate it as if still 'Rooftop terrain), though the ceiling will remain but nvm.. just modify the stone corridor to make a new terrain instead of the Roof terrain since I can't use more than 5.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

I will summarize my questions here but I have a major question:

Can I modify the palette of DM2? I have a set of at least 16 colors that I need and got sick of having crappy images only cause these colors are missing in the palette. I will remove all purple and add these new ones..

As for the questions from before (NEW QUESTION NUMBERING):

1. Some problems with teleporters still - see this post
2. Just like I got no transparency on images where you position the heroes on the ground (now fixed), I modified the SPLASH image (when enemy or poison deals damage to your hero) - now the Numbers that take damage 1 or 2 are not transparent (see the red square behind the number which is also a color from the SPLASH image)

3. You fixed transparency on hero icons in DM2GDED but for some reason in-game when I 'take' the hero from his position, the colors change again (at least these images for hero have transparenty and not on grey background thx to the fix)

4. Also is there a way to determine on which Maps it will be raining and on which not, or is this only based on terrain? If I modify the cave I could directly use this rainless terrain? Same for fog? I think even if I paste grass terrain instead of graveyard terrain, there is still fog, is It coded somewhere? [SOLVED]
Edit the word value 66. [08 Dungeon Graphics]→[04]→[66 00 00 | Word value]
- 1 or 4 will rain.
- 0 or 2 or 3 won't rain.
That seems to be now for all. I may still have few questions in the future but overall that should be nearly everything.
Last edited by emetar on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.
emetar wrote:Can I modify the palette of DM2? I have a set of at least 16 colors that I need and got sick of having crappy images only cause these colors are missing in the palette. I will remove all purple and add these new ones..
I don't know whether it will work well or not. I don't test it yet.

So you can try it.

Do you have a new set of 256 colors in a palette file or such? You'll need to convert it before importing.
1. Some problems with teleporters still - see this post
You will need cross scene actuator anyway.

And replace the pre-rendered image, after you have duplicated it into new sub-class.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140226/c ... e_gate.png

Here is my modified version.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140226/DUNGEON.dat

- I have moved the entrance to south at map#48.
- I have placed cross scene actuators at both map#38 and map#48.
- The teleporter's Rotation needs to be "180'd", where it is at map#48 and it coexists with cross scene actuator.
2. Just like I got no transparency on images where you position the heroes on the ground (now fixed), I modified the SPLASH image (when enemy or poison deals damage to your hero) - now the Numbers that take damage 1 or 2 are not transparent (see the red square behind the number which is also a color from the SPLASH image)
I'll check next time.
3. You fixed transparency on hero icons in DM2GDED but for some reason in-game when I 'take' the hero from his position, the colors change again (at least these images for hero have transparenty and not on grey background thx to the fix)
I'll check next time.
4. Also is there a way to determine on which Maps it will be raining and on which not, or is this only based on terrain? If I modify the cave I could directly use this rainless terrain? Same for fog? I think even if I paste grass terrain instead of graveyard terrain, there is still fog, is It coded somewhere?
Yes, it is coded indirectly.

- 1 or 4 will rain.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140226/rain_or_not.png
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

So you can try it.

Do you have a new set of 256 colors in a palette file or such? You'll need to convert it before importing.
Do you know step by step how to do that? I've no idea where this palette is located to replace it, nor how to convert it. I have gimp to work with but idk what format it wants, etc.
You will need cross scene actuator anyway.

And replace the pre-rendered image, after you have duplicated it into new sub-class.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140226/DUNGEON.dat

- I have moved the entrance to south at map#48.
- I have placed cross scene actuators at both map#38 and map#48.
- The teleporter's Rotation needs to be "180'd", where it is at map#48 and it coexists with cross scene actuator.
Thanks BUT I want to keep the Mountains portal ANIMATED when coming from the Void to the Roof, then entering the roof as in my GIF - this movement is already as I want it (you have to see the mountains when in distance and coming from the Void), then from the Roof to the Void I want to see the animated water and animated portal- can this be animated though? You use an unanimated image, also even though you set them correctly to get a Cross Scene, the connection between the two maps isn't as smooth as in my Dundeon.dat - you appear almost hanging in the void and can see Draggoth. If the cross scene cannot be made animated from both sides as I want it, I think I will leave mine as it is closer to what I want and smoother.

In that context, can you pls tell me what is wrong b-n map 25 and 44 entrance (from map 22 enter the closer to you teleport to appeat at map 25)? It is part of the same teleporter problem I've had ever map 0 to map 40 same issue

THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I WALK BACKWARD, I GO THROUGH THE ARC BUT IT STILL SEEMS TO BE THE SAME AREA AND WHEN YOU turn around, you see just an empty field, but if I enter forward all is fine you see the next area with all its grass and walls., the problem is entering backward, you cannot walk backward to next area UNLIKE the default teleporters. - and in e,g graveyard to map 25 you can walk backward between the two maps
- 1 or 4 will rain.

Each terrain has this option, that's what I needed, thanks!
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote:
So you can try it.

Do you know step by step how to do that? I've no idea where this palette is located to replace it, nor how to convert it. I have gimp to work with but idk what format it wants, etc.
The palette is located on category 1 (interface - main screen) / index 00 / entry FE 08 00 : Palette IRGB.
It contains 256 colors of 4 bytes per color : index number / red / green / blue.
It has 16 hues of 16 shades.

I put again the link you posted upper in this thread for reference : http://i.imgur.com/5qPNTTp.png

kentaro-k.21 wrote: Edit the word value 66. [08 Dungeon Graphics]→[04]→[66 00 00 | Word value]
- 1 or 4 will rain.

Thanks Kentaro! I will give names to variables and update the code with this.
Thicket and Fog thicket share value 1. (and thicket is graphicsset 1)
Skullkeep roof has value 4. (and skullkeep roof is graphicsset 4)
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Sphenx wrote:
emetar wrote:
So you can try it.

The palette is located on category 1 (interface - main screen) / index 00 / entry FE 08 00 : Palette IRGB.
It contains 256 colors of 4 bytes per color : index number / red / green / blue.
It has 16 hues of 16 shades.

I put again the link you posted upper in this thread for reference : http://i.imgur.com/5qPNTTp.png
Ok.

I have written a simple palette converter.

screenshot:
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140227/ss.png

DL:
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140227/ConvDM2Pal-r0.7z

It needs .NET Framework 2.0 or later.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Thanks for the tool! At first I had trouble getting the GPL file in Gimp but after importing some palette, it appeared in the /palettes ... In fact, I managed to change 32 colors with colors I need and from what I see the colors that I added are now in the DM2's palette. However, I see the DM2's custom palette that I added when I export the BIN file (after having it imported in my graphics.dat in the section 00 described by Sphenx) and using your tool converting it to GPL - this gives the impression that t he file is there...

But .. I just imported an image that has now the colors I need, and since their are present in my custom palette, I expected to import my image without any colors lost! But the colors get crappy and when I exported the ruined image to see its color map - the palette it is using is STILL the default DM2 palette, while when I export the BIN to GPL to see if it is in 00 Interface of graphics.dat it is with the new palette, yet images when imported use the default DM2 palette?
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.

Sorry for late reply.
emetar wrote:yet images when imported use the default DM2 palette?
I have confirmed DM2GDED's source code.

Yes, you are right.

It has a fixed palette (DM2 256 colors) internally.

I'll release new version, so that you can apply your own palette (graphics.dat).

Please wait some days...
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

^ Very nice and thanks, yes I put my little project on hold until this happens, cause there was no point importing pics with wrong palette. And in some days and if you have time would be nice if you can see what's rong with my Teleporters in other place I pointed out (Map 25 to Map 44, then the transparency and color issues as I posted above in Questions 1,2,3.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.

here is a new release.
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DMDC2_DM2G ... 4_03_18.7z

Changes:
DM2GDED Rev.9@20140318 SPX:
• imp:ui: recent filename list now shows full path.
• imp:ui: your own DM2 palette (256 colors) can be applied.

DMDC2 Rev.11 DM2_EXTENDED_DATABASE@20140223
* imp: new "DM2_EXTENDED_MAP on next time Open/Save."
* imp:ui: options saved in DMDC2.ini
* imp:ui: assets selection: DM2,DM2Beta
* imp:ui: recent filename list now shows full path.
I caught cold. for a while, I can't help you so much. sorry.

Although DM2_EXTENDED_MAP is implemented, do not use it. It is incomplete! The map-offset and map-size should be extended to DWORD from WORD. And so on.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

emetar wrote:I want to keep the Mountains portal ANIMATED when coming from the Void to the Roof
Ok. It can be done by actuator's parameter.

- Actuator: Cross scene
- [Actu2] tab
- [Sw is On] turn on it.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

emetar wrote: the connection between the two maps isn't as smooth as in my Dundeon.dat - you appear almost hanging in the void and can see Draggoth.
It means that it needs to be same direction (north,east,west,south) regardless of teleporter's direction setting.

The portal to the mountain at map#38 directs from-south-to-north. The new map's portal also needs to direct from-south-to-north.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

emetar wrote:In that context, can you pls tell me what is wrong b-n map 25 and 44 entrance (from map 22 enter the closer to you teleport to appeat at map 25)? It is part of the same teleporter problem I've had ever map 0 to map 40 same issue

THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN I WALK BACKWARD, I GO THROUGH THE ARC BUT IT STILL SEEMS TO BE THE SAME AREA AND WHEN YOU turn around, you see just an empty field, but if I enter forward all is fine you see the next area with all its grass and walls., the problem is entering backward, you cannot walk backward to next area UNLIKE the default teleporters. - and in e,g graveyard to map 25 you can walk backward between the two maps
Ok, I have checked the map connection between map#25 and map#44. You can fix it.

- Please fill the blank area with wall.
- Turn on "4:Open" for the backward teleporter.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140321/map25_44.png

Here is my fixed one.
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140321/DUNGEON.DAT
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

here is a new release.
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DMDC2_DM2G ... 4_03_18.7z
Thank you VERY much for this! This little project of mine was halted for almost a month, as there was no reason to import images if I cannot get some colors right, let me show you the effect of this very important change! If you compare your editor earliest and now it's become a great tool!

Using another game's editor (sc2) I made an image and modified it to get snow terrain. An image 24bit but using IrfanView that I use to decrease color depth, I could decrease it to 4bit and that program preserves the quality quite well! There was almost no difference as you can see. Once I saw what 16 colors can make some proper looking snow, I added these colors in the palette and there, amazing quality! Same for the clouds - I took the colors and used them inside. that's the quality - so much better!

The effects of replacing some colors are not good though! I replaced only 1 row of colors and it caused some bad colors appearing on other sprites..

--
Thanks also for the Entrances and the Dungeon.dat! I have yet to check those when I have time and will tell you if any probs. But darn, I didn't consider checking the flags Open on the entrances at all if such existed, to allow entering backward.

Now if only there was a way to import custom music as well :)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote: The effects of replacing some colors are not good though! I replaced only 1 row of colors and it caused some bad colors appearing on other sprites..
DM2 images are color indexed, if you change the palette, it will change the colors rendered for all other images.
All images would need to be imported with the same palette..
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

^ At first I wanted to replace 16 colors for one sky, then another 16 for a new terrain, 32 colors ruined lots of images, not that I couldn't fix them but all of them just for a terrain and clouds, not worth it (replacing the 2nd green row of colors, seems was bad as it also was used). Then I did it with 16 colors, then I realized I could use only 7 colors which made lots of the images stay OK with very few using the custom colors. I replace usually the PURPLE as the least used, I find it silly that so many images use dark purple colors like some pixels even though the creatures or other images are not purple at all! But 7 colors made very few use the \NEW COLORS\, while all other images are OK.

Here is an example: 24 bit image

4 bit image - 8 colors (7 custom, 1 black exists anyway), quite nice quality huh?

UPDATE: Using the default palette when imported, so-so close.

BUT, because I use half of the color row, it seems when it the area is darkened, I get some purple colors, why? it picks up the colors from the darker ones? Is there a way to make it pick up other colors when it gets darker? It picks up the colors from the same row .. I think I am wasting my time on such a primitive game with such restrictions.. it was meant to be less time consuming..
SOLVED... default palette..
kentaro-k.21 wrote:Ok, I have checked the map connection between map#25 and map#44. You can fix it.

- Please fill the blank area with wall.
- Turn on "4:Open" for the backward teleporter.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140321/map25_44.png
Thank you, that fixed it and I will use entrances that way from now on!

UNSOLVED:

@kentaro what about the Question 2. 3. is there a fix? Not much of an issue but..
- Actuator: Cross scene
- [Actu2] tab
- [Sw is On] turn on it..
Regarding my maps between 38 and 48, I still have a little prob, I want from map 38 to map 48 to NOT use cross scene, so as you can see I have 1 teleporter only with the animated Mountains and it directly sends to map 48 - it is as I want. I want the proper animation to show the way back:

DUNGEON.DAT
see this file, go up the stairs and pick up the 2nd visible teleporter in Torham's house to get to the void

sw On in Act2 tab does nothing, so I want from 38 to 48 the Mountains animated to send without cross-scene to the new place and from 48 to 38, just the gate animated and some blue void to be seen - no need cross scene if I can animate the Gate 12 (22)+blue void with a single teleporter. The only reason I wanted cross scene is to see the blue void behind t he Gate 12(22) animated, if I can do it with images, I don't want to use cross scene, as it only makes it a bigger mess.
Last edited by emetar on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote: BUT, because I use half of the color row, it seems when it the area is darkened, I get some purple colors, why? it picks up the colors from the darker ones? Is there a way to make it pick up other colors when it gets darker? It picks up the colors from the same row .. I think I am wasting my time on such a primitive game with such restrictions.. it was meant to be less time consuming..
You missed this:
Sphenx wrote:It has 16 hues of 16 shades.
This means a line of 16 colors is used as different lightings of the "same" color/hue. When the ingame light changes, the indexed color is shifted left for darker lights and shifted right for brighter lights (such as lightnings).
That's why when it gets darker your white color (which is replaced) becomes purple since the engine consider it as the same hue.

But I think you can use the standard palette if you have to make some snowy background since there are alreaday 2 grey/white hues; these should be used when you convert your images for DM2.

Finally, you must have one unique hue per colors line for consistency.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Oh boy, that game engine sux, I mean kentaro did a whole feature to modify the palette and this palette modification is useless when you can't even replace few colors. I know you can use the existing colors but in the past I would take the image you see, lighten it to become more white than grey, and when imported, becomes paper white with grey dots - it was very ugly, so I decided to try adding my own white-blue-grey color. Same for the clouds, wanted to use my own colors but eventually decided to use Grey Clouds to reduce the problems from palette modification.

Luckily, from the image I posted above that consist of 8 colors, when imported with the default palette is so-so nice (I posted UPDATE:), thanks to keeping it more greyish than making it whiter, the blue-white icy look is gone but at least I managed to get much better quality with the default palette than before. So yes, I have no choice but to use the default palette, case CLOSED with the palette, thanks for explaining.
_____

@ Kintaro I posted few questions above, if you can look into them when you have time, I am almost done with the questions, may have a few more but once these get fixed it will be done.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

I rly have better things and even games to do than this one but casually decided to do some stuff again. Who knows how to:

- manipulate/remove the Keep's black silhouette when outside - I am customizing a terrain from the green grass terrain and there is still the castle shadow seen in the background
- manipulate day/night cycle, on the custom copy+paste terrain set from the green grass, when using it, it never gets dark
- make an item never run out of charges, all that using kentaro's DM2GDED (the interface editor)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

- manipulate/remove the Keep's black silhouette when outside - I am customizing a terrain from the green grass terrain and there is still the castle shadow seen in the background
The distant images seen in the background are stored in the 0x17 category "Skullkeep and weather".
The images can range from 00 0x 00 (keep) to 63 0x 00 (thicket horizon).
You could remove the keep image from your custom graphics.dat, this should be enough.
You also have the text entries 00 00 00 to 63 00 00 that correspond to each image. Each text entry define information of the image such as absolute coordinates of that distant image within the full map area (256*256); but DM2GDED doesn't interpret it so not editable yet .. you may remove it as well if you don't want the image.

Code: Select all

- make an item never run out of charges, all that using kentaro's DM2GDED (the interface editor)
You can edit this in the action commands of any item: modify the NC parameter to zero. NC is the number of charges decreased per use of that command.

- manipulate day/night cycle, on the custom copy+paste terrain set from the green grass, when using it, it never gets dark
I think this is related to the 66 parameter Kentaro told about earlier in this thread http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/20140226/rain_or_not.png.
But it actually controls if there is rain or not for that background/terrain set. There might be some light changes depending on the ingame varying "rain force" value.
Normally, it should target the number of weather set used along the background set (i.e. if you have a new background in pos 3, the weather to be used would also be 3) but actually the relation is hardcoded in the engine. So using values 1, 4 or 5 will trigger the "rain changes". If you do not want rain nor lightnings, I suggest you to remove all images, sounds and data from the target weather set. You should get some lights changes during the game, but maybe not enough for you to resemble a day/night cycle (and I am not sure if this removes the lightning lights, maybe not).
That would be in our todo list to move this code into custom values rather than hardcoded, but would only be available within skwin.

I hope this helps.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

I saw that someone ask what the command "noop" on a teleporter did. It stands for "no operation". In other words, it gives the command "do nothing".
Hope that helps.
Hanging by a thread.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”