Questions when using the editors for DM2 (PC)

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
emetar
Novice

Questions when using the editors for DM2 (PC)

Post by emetar »

Hi, I have been a hard core player of DM2 TLoS on PC it is one of my best of the best old DOS games. I solved it all myself without using any Walkthroughs, the puzzles especially the last one to break into the Void entrance, all found it myself...

And from time to time like once per several years I feel like playing the game. Now I play it on Android with DosBox Turbo but anyway, I decided besides changing the platform frm PC to my phone.. to also do smth different from the usual choose heroes and the same...

and this is where I came across the editors that I want to use. Firstly I wanna customize the char by modifying an existing one's look, DM2GDED does it.

1. How do I change the colors of Health/Stamina/Mana bars?

I don't want green red yellow blue team colors bars, I want to change those, the fighters where you select runes for spells is part of the UI but those bars are not in graphics.dat at all.. I want to use different Team Colors from Red, Yellow, Green and Dark Blue.

2. Can new maps be added with the editor (not just modifying the boundaries of existing ones), including adding Ladders, Exits that lead to these new maps, whether dungeons or grass?

I cannot even add new exits or entrances with the editor.

3. How can I make shops with different items on display?

So far they use the pre-defined ones for Mechant, Bad Merchant or Magic~, what if I want other items that are not usually for sale?

4. How do I make character portrait change only after a specific name is typed like the Mac Easter Egg?
Last edited by emetar on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Re: [UNSOLVED] Change HP/Mana Bar colors? + Other questions.

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.
emetar wrote:1. How do I change the colors of Health/Stamina/Mana bars?

I don't want green red yellow blue team colors bars, I want to change those, the fighters where you select runes for spells is part of the UI but those bars are not in graphics.dat at all.. I want to use different Team Colors from Red, Yellow, Green and Dark Blue.
Sorry, I haven't confirmed yet, so consider this as a possible answer.

Try with DM2GDED:
- At left tree, enter [01 Interface - Main Screen] section
- And then enter [00]
- At right view, try to edit this: Name="FE 08 FF", Type="Palette(index)"

Player colors:
7 (8th)
11 (12th)
8 (9th)
14 (15th)

The numbers are fixed inside program code.

The color table looks like this:
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DM2PCPal.png

I'll answer more questions when I have more time.

Thanks
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Hi, thanks for replying.. so what you showed in the PNG is the palette and I have to choose colors from there and set the colors of the UI to whichever corresponds to e.g Green and Dark Blue? That would be fine since it has the colors I want.

So like 08 is one of the players , A=11 is another,

I am coloring the player team colors as they originally appear, e.g 08 line and below is red player

00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
00 F8 FA CA 3D A8 7B 7D BF 9E DC 8F F6 FC 2F FF

07 - Torham
08 - Player 3
09 - Loading bar
0B - Player 2, Options Text (Save, Quit, Restart)
0C - Cursor color
0E - Player 4, Water Bar

GOT IT!:
http://i.imgur.com/5qPNTTp.png

It's like 2D X,Y coordinates - first represents Y (which row), second represents X (which column), I start counting 0,1,2,3,4.. and 10 is A 11 is B 12 is C, 15 is F, thanks a lot

1. SOLVED

Whenever I want to replace with custom images, only the first one allows you to choose transparent, all other 3 (yellow to blue) do not allow transparent color and in-game they appear with a grey square.. This can happen even if I pasted the same kind of image (like same yellow image) for 2nd - no Transparency. Can you fix that?

Also what about Ladders, Shops?e
Last edited by emetar on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.

Thanks for your many many challenging!
I'm sorry that I couldn't help you in detail part. And, I'll supply only information that you are missing.

---
emetar wrote:2. Can new maps be added with the editor (not just modifying the boundaries of existing ones), including adding Ladders, Exits that lead to these new maps, whether dungeons or grass?

I cannot even add new exits or entrances with the editor.
It is just complex to be done. It is magic of mixing TELEporters and ACTUators.

You need to design it in handwork by yourself.

Check the map#22(torham's house) and map#16(exterior).

Map#16(exterior), right-bottom part.

Code: Select all

##.
### ##.
..#g#..
. is MapExit
# is Wall
Spc is Floor
g is a teleporter destination.
1 and 2 are trick place.

Map#22(torham's house)

..#3#.....
..#f#.....
..# #.....
..# ######
### ### ##
#    #   #
#    |   #
#    #####
######....
3 and 4 are trick place.
f is a teleporter destination.

At 1:
- Add a teleporter: teleport to 3.
- Add an actuator "Cross scene", with Ornate "Gate".

At 2:
- Add a teleporter: teleport to f, Flag:Open (Ctrl+LClick the tile).

At 3:
- Add a teleporter: teleport to 1.
- Add an actuator "Cross scene", with Ornate "Gate".

At 4:
- Add a teleporter: teleport to g, Flag:Open (Ctrl+LClick the tile).

Tell me if you find anything useful.

---
3. How can I make shops with different items on display?

So far they use the pre-defined ones for Mechant, Bad Merchant or Magic~, what if I want other items that are not usually for sale?
Check with DM2GDED:
- Opn the leaf [0F Creatures]
- Find sub tree [22 MERCHANT] or [43 BAD MERCHANT] or [44 MAGIC MERCHANT]
- Right pane, [17 00 00][Text]
- The text like "J6 J8 J56 J26-28 C1" is an item list.

You'll need DM2GDED Rev.5 to edit the list.
http://skwinspx.googlecode.com/files/DM ... 2_07_30.7z

Note: this package contains extended features designed for our new DM2 clone: such as 3072 actuators support (DMDC2), spell re-definition (DM2GDED), creature ai re-definition (DM2GDED).

---
4. How do I make character portrait change only after a specific name is typed like the Mac Easter Egg?
Hmm, sorry, I'm not sure.

---

Thanks
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

I have received 3 questions via mail.
emetar wrote: Hello there,

I recently decided to play smth different in DM2 (PC version) from the
usual by using the editors. I have the following questions and concerns.
Using this tool:

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/721

1) The DM2GDED... I cannot change any images at all. If I click on some
char, export the bitmap or try to import or try to paste from clipboard it
gives me 'Failed to paste image' - how do you replace any images?

2)Also I want to change the colors of the HEALTH/STAMINA/MANA BARs -
Thorhal has Green, 2nd has Yellow, Blue and Red

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... S-DOS).png

See those bars? How can I change them to other colors, the players (green,
yellow, red blue) are part of the UI Interface pics but these bars are not

3) Using DMDC2 to edit the dungeons and areas..

it seems creatures placed if they do not belong there will die/disappear.
Example: Thorn Demon placed on the grass/fountain outside your house or
shops will die, but you can place Glops and Thicket Hunters there since
originally they have netered there. You can also place Attack Minions
because they fly everywhere, it's like the game has some permissions to
accept creatures only at certain places.

In the Skullkeep's entrance you can place the dark Monks and minions but
others will die, etc

Any support on this? Especially need the change color of Health/Mana bars
to other colors than these 4. Thx..
1 and 3 seem to have already resolved.
2 is now inprogress.

I'll check about transparent color issue on image editor.

Thanks.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Thanks very much for helping, you can ignore the email, it's kind of the same as here but in this thread are my updated questions, meaning the ones in the email don't matter.

1 - SOLVED - I managed to change the life/stamina/hp bars as I want, too bad the same colors are used for other things like Menus texts, cursors, but I will try to make similar colors. Soon I will post a picture.

Yes there is a problem with colors not transparent on the images above.

2 - SOLVED, I missed adding the TeleporterImage kind of room, so I was doing all on FLOOR and wondered why it didn't work wow...

3. I will later try that, as so far I never changed the item list and this showed wrong items or not the ones I want, also if I just gave items to the table or shop keeper like they are on the existing shops, he starts throwing the items at you - but I did it on a place where you fight creatures so maybe he became hostile

4 - IGNORE - Not important really, you can skip that.

NEW
5. How can I make the first (starting character) to not be Torham but someone else? And Torham to be choosable in the hibernation device

6. One issue occurred - when I expand a map and if that map has e.g a ladder, it climbs down to a different destination because that misplaces the whole map if a hole/pit leads to a certain place downwards, this places changes as a result of expanding. How do I solve this? If I made some teleporter at the new place to instantly move the heroes to the place I want or there is a better way?

One more thing - I was searching mostly if a new area entirely or new map can be created, like create a new map say Map 44 (so far 43 maps). And also how do LADDERS/STAIRS work? Like if I want stairs to bring the heroes to the new map if a new map can be created.

7. How to set secret walls properly? Trick walls when I place them they are like solid walls.. I tried using a Activator trap floor but it makes no difference. I have to strafe left or right to enter a wall, entering forward such a wall does not work?

8. Why does the editor screw up so badly some images?

For example an 8BIT image that needs to be replaced by 8BIT image, the one I export to is the quality above, the crappy quality (second one in brown/beige) is after I import it with the editor:

kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.
emetar wrote: 5. How can I make the first (starting character) to not be Torham but someone else? And Torham to be choosable in the hibernation device
Torham is revived by an actuator Activator, resuscitation placed at upper-left of Map#0. You can customize it or simply remove it.
6. One issue occurred - when I expand a map and if that map has e.g a ladder, it climbs down to a different destination because that misplaces the whole map if a hole/pit leads to a certain place downwards, this places changes as a result of expanding. How do I solve this? If I made some teleporter at the new place to instantly move the heroes to the place I want or there is a better way?
Hmm. Each map has Depth parameter.

For example:
- First map's depth is 7.
- Torham's house's depth is 6.

Current displaying depth?
- Launch DMDC2.
- Look at a vertical bar at the left side: <<, <-, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, ->, >>.
- The hilighted number is current displaying depth.

To check the map's Depth:
- Select a map. Shift+LClick
- [Edit]→[Edit Level Descriptor...]
One more thing - I was searching mostly if a new area entirely or new map can be created, like create a new map say Map 44 (so far 43 maps). And also how do LADDERS/STAIRS work? Like if I want stairs to bring the heroes to the new map if a new map can be created.
- [Edit]→[Append new map]

Note: Max map count is 64. This is limitation of DM/DM2 engine.
7. How to set secret walls properly? Trick walls when I place them they are like solid walls.. I tried using a Activator trap floor but it makes no difference. I have to strafe left or right to enter a wall, entering forward such a wall does not work?
- Ctrl+LClick the Trick wall.
- 1:Imaginary - You can pass if checked.
- 2:
- 3:
- 4:Open - You cannot see the wall if checked, probably.
8. Why does the editor screw up so badly some images?

For example an 8BIT image that needs to be replaced by 8BIT image, the one I export to is the quality above, the crappy quality (second one in brown/beige) is after I import it with the editor:

I'll check later.

Thanks.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Thanks for the latest replies, I can say now

5. Starting character - someone else/none, not Torham. Torham in hibernation - solved.
7. Invisible (imaginary) wall - I never knew Ctrl + Left Click options - solved

---

6. Misplaced maps, Ladders, Stairs work - SOLVED! - The problem is that if I modify existing map boundary, meaning I will keep the Depth the same - the whole world of that depth gets misplaces and everything. For example: I modify the deepest cave with the lava craters - I expand it, now heroes will fall at the new part I expanded, not where the game designers originally made them fall. Changing DEpth is irrelevant - I am talking about keeping the same Depth and this problem occurs - Is this solvable? Can I expand an existing map and the locations where heroes climb down a ladder/fall down a pit do not get misplaced? Or would you offer me to use some teleporter to the places I want? - I think the problem is that unlike teleporters, PITS and LADDERS do not select you where you want to send the heroes after falling/climbing and they only send u to the same location but upper or lower depth..

10. -SOLVED- (I was able to make Ladders and Stairs work without ticking Stairs/Pitfall but still need to make Single teleporters like visible ones work) - When I try to use upper-lower staircase such as one leading up or down, when I declare it in the Map's properties in DMC2 editor, the setting to tick Upper or Down Staircase do NOT save when you press ' OK'. I also had a weird bug with stairs - I select the lower one to be 'Up' and once you climb to the new map up, when you try to go down, it still brings you to the same place and not where you came from (downstairs). But if you place 2 stairs going down, at least one of the stairs brings you downstairs. This is bug but may have to do with the fact that when I tick 'Up Staircase' or 'Down' in the room properties - any changes I do - do not save - UPDATE" Bug fixed itself on a new map, stairs work even though I still cannot set Staircases in the Map's properties.
Last edited by emetar on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote: 6. Partially solved (more needed) - The problem is that if I modify existing map boundary, meaning I will keep the Depth the same - the whole world of that depth gets misplaces and everything. For example: I modify the deepest cave with the lava craters - I expand it, now heroes will fall at the new part I expanded, not where the game designers originally made them fall. Changing DEpth is irrelevant - I am talking about keeping the same Depth and this problem occurs - Is this solvable? Can I expand an existing map and the locations where heroes climb down a ladder/fall down a pit do not get misplaced? Or would you offer me to use some teleporter to the places I want? - I think the problem is that unlike teleporters, PITS and LADDERS do not select you where you want to send the heroes after falling/climbing and they only send u to the same location but upper or lower depth..
Here is a quick reply: you have here to change the offset coordinates of each map manually to have it match with its neighbours maps.
You go to the "level descriptor" (level properties) and change 'Shift X' and 'Shift Y'.
These two values are the absolute position (left top corner position) of the current map you're editing.
The problem is that if you change dimension of one map, you may have to shift all other maps around to get them still match.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Sphenx wrote:
emetar wrote: Here is a quick reply: you have here to change the offset coordinates of each map manually to have it match with its neighbours maps.
You go to the "level descriptor" (level properties) and change 'Shift X' and 'Shift Y'.
These two values are the absolute position (left top corner position) of the current map you're editing.
The problem is that if you change dimension of one map, you may have to shift all other maps around to get them still match.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for! I had a case where for example editing Map 21 to expand it caused firstly going down the ladder from the Palace - to appear in the expanded part rather than the part of the map with the worms. Or going back up the ladder would cause appearing not back to the Palace level 1 but somewhere in the grass outside... I used an UNMODIFIED dungeon.dat file to see their coordinates and based the ones I have on that...

9. Starting with a new EXISTING hero is fine (torham, saros etc..) - I can do that. BUT: Can I make a CUSTOM HERO even if a copy+paste of existing hero (same stats/attributes as existing one)?[/color] Say I want my own modified hero with another portrait picture, and another name? Or if the game doesn't allow it, can I choose e.g Torham on START to be named not Torham but some other name and other portrait, WITHOUT MODIFYING the original Torham? Say you have one real Torham in hibernation and you start with a modified one (new portrait, new name) ?

UPDATE:
1. - SOLVED - I managed to change the life/stamina/hp bars as I want, too bad the same colors are used for other things like Menus texts, cursors, but I will try to make similar colors. Soon I will post a picture.
2. - SOLVED -I missed adding the Teleporter Image kind of room. Ctrl + Right click for single Teleporters flagged 'Visible' and 'Open', paste Teleporter+ location and Actuator-Text-Complex, and done.
5. - SOLVED - Starting character - someone else/none, not Torham. Torham in hibernation
6. - SOLVED - Ladders, Stairs now work! - I ticked for Staircase at the lower level to be 'Up' 'North-South' and placed exactly at the same room at the upper and lower level, same for ladders.
7. - SOLVED - Invisible (imaginary) wall - I never knew Ctrl + Left Click options.
9. - SOLVED - Edited stats of a new character in DM2GDED and added his own portrait and look, I also found how to connect him with what I add in DMDC2 editor when he is the starting hero!
10. - SOLVED - I set the coordinates based on the original Dungeon.dat to be exactly like that and now climbing up/down goes to the accurate locations, not misplaced.

Ignore
4. How do I make character portrait change only after a specific name is typed like the Mac Easter Egg? - Not that important, ignore.
Last edited by emetar on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote: Where can I get THE LATEST version of these tools? Your new DMDC2 from that link prevents me from Copy+Pasting actuators for rooms, it doesn't work - Paste and nothing gets pasted on another room... While it does work with: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/719 - this is where I dl the tools from.. Also both DMDC2 cannot save room properties like Upper/Lower Staircase if you want to add one.
This should be the latest version; for copying items/actuators, go into the room edit, Rclick "copy sub items" or "copy item and sub items", go to another room and do "paste as first/last in sub".

For the room properties, I think this is not necessary and there should be no problem adding valid stairs without properties saved.
emetar wrote: 9. Starting with a new EXISTING hero is fine (torham, saros etc..) - I can do that. BUT: Can I make a CUSTOM HERO even if a copy+paste of existing hero (same stats/attributes as existing one)? Say I want my own modified hero with another portrait picture, and another name? Or if the game doesn't allow it, can I choose e.g Torham on START to be named not Torham but some other name and other portrait, WITHOUT MODIFYING the original Torham? Say you have one real Torham in hibernation and you start with a modified one (new portrait, new name) ?
You can make up to 253 custom heroes if you want :)
With copying all items from a hero to an empty slot, you will have a new hero.
For using it within the dungeon, you will have to change an resuscitation activator => actu1 and change the hero name to get the one you want.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Sphenx wrote: This should be the latest version; for copying items/actuators, go into the room edit, Rclick "copy sub items" or "copy item and sub items", go to another room and do "paste as first/last in sub".
Exactly this doesn't work for me with his latest version, older one works fine.
For the room properties, I think this is not necessary and there should be no problem adding valid stairs without properties saved.
You are right, I cant tick those but I made teleporters, stairs, ladders work anyway. I don't know but the first time I used stairs, when trying to go from upper level to lower, it always sent me back upstairs, couldn't go down, now it works, Ive no idea how it fixed itself or my remaking did it.
emetar wrote: You can make up to 253 custom heroes if you want :)
With copying all items from a hero to an empty slot, you will have a new hero.
For using it within the dungeon, you will have to change an resuscitation activator => actu1 and change the hero name to get the one you want.
Do I do that in DM2GDED? Like I showed in a screenshot, I made a new class within the graphics.dat (all the previous 16 characters exist, none were modified, this is a new one), copied the same stats as one of the characters and added them.

Because when I modify the starting hero in DMDC2, I can add whatever items I want but in Actu1 tab of that hero I still choose from the listed 16 characters and I have to link somehow the new custom value in graphics.dat that I called TESTER TEST as seen in the image, I don't see that one in the Actu1 tab (DMDC2) in the list.

EDIT: Found it! In the Actu1 tab in the list after SAROS start a bunch of blank fields but they are actually slots for custom heroes and since mine is 12 and HEX goes after 0F that is SAROS, after 0F the next numbers are 10, 11, 12 and mine is 12 so the 3rd blank is the link. I just tested and it is him.

Question - in DM2GDED where you edit the stats:

PRIST (should be PRIEST lol) when you have the values e.g 12 3 3 12 from these 4 values what is what? Which is max, which is initial or what do they mean?

Thanks by the way both of you! - Still some things have to be solved and I posted above
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote: Question - in DM2GDED where you edit the stats:

PRIST (should be PRIEST lol) when you have the values e.g 12 3 3 12 from these 4 values what is what? Which is max, which is initial or what do they mean?
The 4 values are the subskills. About Priest, they are in order for : "Identify", "Heal", "Influence", "Defend".
Spells generally use one specific subskill when cast.

You can see champion subskills here:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/200
emetar
Novice

Re: Questions when using the editors for DM2 (PC)

Post by emetar »

^ I noticed if I wanted to set say a Wizard to be Master, if I changed the first value it doesn't make him that but if I changed the 4th value it does, so is there a way to see these subskills explained? The site you posted doesn't work. Oh and I am still waiting for these unsolved things:
Sub-questions partially SOLVED:
- Why when I make 2 teleporters to enter from one map to another, I see a wall (if cave) or grass (if outside) - through the Gate/entrance and not the interior or what's beyond? I do use Actuator Cross Scene even copy paste, change Gate to be e.g the the tunnel/gate image but somehow when I get 1 room away from the entrance, I see a wall instead of what's beyond it.
- Why when I make 2 teleporters to enter from one map to another - I cannot enter the previous area by pressing Down (back) arrow? With my custom made teleporters the heroes have to FACE the entrance/exit to enter it.. otherwise is like a solid wall. On the original entrances (teleporters) you can enter forward and backward.
Also, do YOU happen to know how to make a custom list of items for a shop? For example I want to make a new list of items with my own group of them, usually items that have not been sold and without modifying the existing list of items used by e.g Bad merchant - also why does the shopkeeper throw the items at you? I did tables exactly like the ones existing in Map 16's shops. This is all my 3rd question below.

---
KENTARO should take a look at 8. Especially, since the import of image screws up quite badly some images even if the yare 8 bit or 4 bit, while before imported are quite good. Also the transparency issue.

Partially SOLVED

kentaro-k.21 wrote: - Opn the leaf [0F Creatures]
- Find sub tree [22 MERCHANT] or [43 BAD MERCHANT] or [44 MAGIC MERCHANT]
- Right pane, [17 00 00][Text]
- The text like "J6 J8 J56 J26-28 C1" is an item list.

You'll need DM2GDED Rev.5 to edit the list.
http://skwinspx.googlecode.com/files/DM ... 2_07_30.7z
Where can I get THE LATEST version of these tools?[/color] Your new DMDC2 from that link prevents me from Copy+Pasting actuators for rooms, it doesn't work - Paste and nothing gets pasted on another room... While it does work with: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/719 - this is where I dl the tools from.. Also both DMDC2 cannot save Map properties like Upper/Lower Staircase if you want to tick any of them and press OK they do not save!

Can you elaborate here? I see other fields as well, I want to use a specific item list at a new place sold by a Bad Merchant without this affecting or modifying the item list for Bad merchant that already exists originally in the 2nd shops.

8. Image quality turns very poor when imported into DM2GDED, yes even 4 and 8 bit lose colors and quality when imported - SOLVED Also:

Last edited by emetar on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi emetar.

---
FYI here is a DM2 PC 256 colors palette data.
- DM2Pal.gif
- DM2Pal.jasc.pal (Corel Paint Shop Pro format)
- DM2Pal.pal (Microsoft RIFF format)

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DM2Pal.zip

---
KENTARO should take a look at 8. Especially, since the import of image screws up quite badly some images even if the yare 8 bit or 4 bit, while before imported are quite good. Also the transparency issue.
That issue might be fixed. New version is avail now.
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DMDC2_DM2G ... 4_01_29.7z

DM2GDED Rev.6@20140129 SPX:
• fix:ui: image paste quality is now better.
Exactly this doesn't work for me with his latest version, older one works fine.
This problem is fixed too:

DMDC2 Rev.8 DM2_EXTENDED_DATABASE@20140129
* fix:ui: paste ACTU not functional. ACTU1/ACTU2/ACTU3 is now ACTU.
* fix:ui: DMDC2 hangs when you display "Edit tile prop" after you show About dialog.

---
do YOU happen to know how to make a custom list of items for a shop?
Tweak the Delay parameter in the Shop panel actuator.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/danmasu-lj/DM ... _A.htm#3FW

So, Delay is not just Delay. If you have good idea for new name of Delay, please suggest better one.

---
why does the shopkeeper throw the items at you?
Maybe shop keeper creature has invalid initial data. Probably, he is in offensive status.

Check the raw data too:
- [View]
- [Object Tree]
- You will see the Object Tree at right side of DMDC2.
- Click your tile of shop keeper.
- Check that you will have MONS like: 43 FF {0050 0002 0000 0000} 0400

---
Why when I make 2 teleporters to enter from one map to another
The near one works when you walk into there.
The far one works when you walk from first teleporter to backward.

---
I see a wall (if cave) or grass (if outside) - through the Gate/entrance and not the interior or what's beyond?
Sorry. you'll need more tweaks. About teleporter, double click the tile to show the editor:

Target of teleporter at the actuator:
- Set to Anything.

Rotation of teleporter at the actuator:
- goto north map → Noop,
- goto east map → 90'd clockwise,
- goto west map → 90'd anti,
- goto south map → 180'd

About Cross scene actuator:
- Set Delay to 1.

---
PRIST (should be PRIEST lol)
Thanks. I'm native Japanese speaker. You are first person to have found it out!

---
Also both DMDC2 cannot save Map properties like Upper/Lower Staircase if you want to tick any of them and press OK they do not save!
Make sure to select [Edit]→[0 Cursor], when you edit the tile flags.

When you click the tile with [Edit]→[4 Stair], the flags are reset.

---
after 0F the next numbers are 10, 11, 12 and mine is 12 so the 3rd blank is the link. I just tested and it is him.
Sorry. Launch Notepad and then edit the _Heroes.Dic.csv file in DMDC2 folder, manually.

---
Where can I get THE LATEST version of these tools?
This is separated due to historical reason:
- The original DM2GDED/DMDC2 are published at DM Encyclopedia. It is for retail DM2 versions.
- The new DM2GDED/DMDC2 are published privately. It is for our (sphenx,me) new DM2 clone. This series is the latest for now.

---

Thanks
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

With the latest editor version I can even do my own items! How can I make an item glow like the Tempest/Fury? I select Flags" light 4K, 32K and the item doesn't make the rooms glow when equipped in hand.
kentaro-k.21 wrote: That issue might be fixed. New version is avail now.
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DMDC2_DM2G ... 4_01_29.7z

DM2GDED Rev.6@20140129 SPX:
• fix:ui: image paste quality is now better.
FIXED

Ahhhh! Why didn't this exist earlier, I already started replacing some images and they turned out bad quality! I also deleted the original ones in 24 bit, so I will have to remake lots of them. Good thing that some images like bushes and grass remained overall fine after import, so I can keep some, others will have to be remade :( ... Oh and the new version DOES bring TIMES BETTER quality, thanks a lot for that! (good that I put the rest image editing on halt and didn't continue to do all). Here is a recolor of the red poison text and this is after import: so MUCH better :)

Image - this is after import

There is still room for improvements in the quality, as some colors still get changed a bit but overall much better.
This problem is fixed too:

DMDC2 Rev.8 DM2_EXTENDED_DATABASE@20140129
* fix:ui: paste ACTU not functional. ACTU1/ACTU2/ACTU3 is now ACTU.
* fix:ui: DMDC2 hangs when you display "Edit tile prop" after you show About dialog.
Yes I can paste actuators now, thanks!

---
do YOU happen to know how to make a custom list of items for a shop?
Tweak the Delay parameter in the Shop panel actuator.

http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/danmasu-lj/DM ... _A.htm#3FW

So, Delay is not just Delay. If you have good idea for new name of Delay, please suggest better one.
What I do is PASTE existing similar room items, so that everything is prefilled and I don't have to set Delays, items, etc. I will work to see if I can get this work from here.

---
Maybe shop keeper creature has invalid initial data. Probably, he is in offensive status.

Check the raw data too:
- [View]
- [Object Tree]
- You will see the Object Tree at right side of DMDC2.
- Click your tile of shop keeper.
- Check that you will have MONS like: 43 FF {0050 0002 0000 0000} 0400
I edited the merchant's room and set the values to 43 FF {0050 0002 0000 0000} 0400, Still HOSTILE

---
I see a wall (if cave) or grass (if outside) - through the Gate/entrance and not the interior or what's beyond?
Sorry. you'll need more tweaks. About teleporter, double click the tile to show the editor:

Target of teleporter at the actuator:
- Set to Anything.

Rotation of teleporter at the actuator:
- goto north map → Noop,
- goto east map → 90'd clockwise,
- goto west map → 90'd anti,
- goto south map → 180'd

About Cross scene actuator:
- Set Delay to 1.
Like I said, I copy paste existing teleporter items, so that I don't have to set them but thanks, what I meant was this:

---
Also both DMDC2 cannot save Map properties like Upper/Lower Staircase if you want to tick any of them and press OK they do not save!
Make sure to select [Edit]→[0 Cursor], when you edit the tile flags.

When you click the tile with [Edit]→[4 Stair], the flags are reset.
I mean:

---
after 0F the next numbers are 10, 11, 12 and mine is 12 so the 3rd blank is the link. I just tested and it is him.
Sorry. Launch Notepad and then edit the _Heroes.Dic.csv file in DMDC2 folder, manually.
DONE
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.

---
emetar wrote:With the latest editor version I can even do my own items! How can I make an item glow like the Tempest/Fury? I select Flags" light 4K, 32K and the item doesn't make the rooms glow when equipped in hand.
Ok, how about the charge count of weapon in DMDC2? 1 or greater may be needed to light.

---
Ahhhh! Why didn't this exist earlier,
I'm glad to hear that :)

---
I edited the merchant's room and set the values to 43 FF {0050 0002 0000 0000} 0400, Still HOSTILE
I want to check your dungeon.dat. Could you send to me? danmasu-lj (@) infoseek.jp
EDIT: address for anti spam

---
I mean:
Sorry, and thanks.
I'll consider automated way to adjust:
- Flags (Upper pitfall, Lower pitfall, Up-staircase, Down-staircase, Visible teleporter)
- Creatures (you have encountered the problem before)
- etc

Maybe before saving.

EDIT: I have confirmed. Yo're right. Up-staircase, Down-staircase, Visible teleporter won't be set.

---
Sphenx wrote: The 4 values are the subskills. About Priest, they are in order for : "Identify", "Heal", "Influence", "Defend".
Spells generally use one specific subskill when cast.

You can see champion subskills here:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/200
Thank you for advice!

---

Thanks
Last edited by kentaro-k.21 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.

Today's release:
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DMDC2_DM2G ... 4_01_30.7z

Rev.9 DM2_EXTENDED_DATABASE@20140130
* fix:ui: flags in level header desc are broken on click OK.
* imp: "Auto tweak LevelDesc on save" implemented in "Options". Tweak Using flags (Upper pitfall,Lower pitfall,Up-staircase,Down-staircase,Visible teleporter) and Creatures.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Thanks for the latest version, the options for Up/Down staircases now work.
Ok, how about the charge count of weapon in DMDC2? 1 or greater may be needed to light.
I only see Charges Used, not charge count and yes Used is 0. which means it has all charges. The item still doesn't light the area, I found that I need to use FLAG: 8192 for permanent Item - never ending spell charges like Tech Shield.
I'm glad to hear that
The part where I said that
http://i.imgur.com/XjKJNvl.png - still no option to make transparent for 2nd - 4th image in DMGDED

The dungeon.dat I use is test, I have yet to make the final one, why not have it here, it's only 41KB and not the original"

When you use this file, besides the shop keeper can you pls also try to see the reason for this image:
http://i.imgur.com/ksiu9j3.png

Like why I can't move backward to previous area and always have to face the entrance and the visual bug where you see a wall of grass..

FYI: Check Map 44 and 45 for the shopkeeper, also for the entrances (teleporters) made by me where the issues occur. Also Map 0 is where you can check t he issue with entrance. Just proceed through the secret wall to see the 'no backward enter previous area' and the 'wall' that is seen when 1 room away from the entrance
Last edited by emetar on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote:
I only see Charges Used, not charge count and yes Used is 0. which means it has all charges. The item still doesn't light the area, I found that I need to use FLAG: 8192 for permanent Item - never ending spell charges like Tech Shield.
In DMDC2, the property is "#Charges" and 0 means no charge. Max is 15. Try a positive value.
emetar wrote: FYI: Check Map 44 and 45 for the shopkeeper, also for the entrances (teleporters) made by me where the issues occur. Also Map 0 is where you can check t he issue with entrance. Just proceed through the secret wall to see the 'no backward enter previous area' and the 'wall' that is seen when 1 room away from the entrance
Check again how maps are linked together : you are missing the teleporter behind the cross scene actuator.
The way to make a map link is to use on each map:
- a teleporter + cross scene (for both maps to link)
- a teleporter behind (one for each map linked)

so that the teleporter + cross scene (for both maps) are situated on the same absolute coordinates of the world map.

You will need 4 teleporters + 2 cross scenes to build a proper map link.

Hope this help :)
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

Sorry can you show me a screenshot with the missing teleporters. I only see 2 teleporters used everywhere between maps, in each one of the two there are the Teleporter and Crosscene actuator, I am not aware of any 'teleporter behind cross scene actuator' - if you're talking about the first actuator (Teleporter), in the upper screenshot with the entrances, I've shown what I have in each of the 2 Room properties of these 2 teleporters.

Also now the item glows! (Thanks!) - Level of lightness is determined by how many charges are set in DMDC2. I was thinking about DMGDED at first, now I saw it is DMDC2 tool for it. Also when in DMGDED item is FLAG: 8192 it is permanent Item nm the charges in DMDC2.

And is there a Tool/Editor to add/replace musics? Maybe needs to edit sound.dat. I want to add or change some of the musics I've heard so many times! :)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote:Sorry can you show me a screenshot with the missing teleporters. I only see 2 teleporters used everywhere between maps, in each one of the two there are the Teleporter and Crosscene actuator, I am not aware of any 'teleporter behind cross scene actuator' - if you're talking about the first actuator (Teleporter), in the upper screenshot with the entrances, I've shown what I have in each of the 2 Room properties of these 2 teleporters.
OK, I take the sun clan village as example since there are many links :

1) the tile where there is the teleporter + actuator (cross scene).
2) the tile "behind" where there is another teleporter.

That makes 2 teleporters + 1 actuator for a map link on only one side (on the same map) hence you need another 2 teleporters + 1 actuator the same way for the other map to be linked (thus 4 teleporters + 2 actuators for a proper maps link).
Check again the map by yourself to study how this is done.
emetar wrote: And is there a Tool/Editor to add/replace musics? Maybe needs to edit sound.dat. I want to add or change some of the musics I've heard so many times! :)
Well, DM2GDED is the tool for importing new musics into the graphics.dat. You would search for MIDI to HMP converter to have the proper file format.
Then, using the songlist.dat file, you can assign a music number to each map. This file contain one byte (music ID) per map (in the order they are defined as shown in DMDC2)

However, some musics existing in the retail graphics.dat are not used in the game, so you can already use some 'new' musics, but they may not match what you want.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.

@Sphenx many thanks for reply!
The part where I said that
http://i.imgur.com/XjKJNvl.png - still no option to make transparent for 2nd - 4th image in DMGDED
EDIT: fixed wrong quote.
Sorry. Here is update:
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DMDC2_DM2G ... 4_02_02.7z

It was fixed by tweaking DM2PerImgPalDesc.csv. http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/party_color_key.png (Changed from $00 to $00-$03. )

DMDC2 Rev.10 DM2_EXTENDED_DATABASE@20140202
* fix:ui: "# Charges" to "Charge count"
* fix:ui: displaying "About" window won't break application resource anymore.

DM2GDED Rev.7@20140202 SPX:
• fix:ui: displaying "About" window won't break application resource anymore.

Thanks
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.
emetar wrote: When you use this file, besides the shop keeper can you pls also try to see the reason for this image:
http://i.imgur.com/ksiu9j3.png
Perhaps you may already notice that "Cross scene" actuator displays only objects (creatures and items) on connected map.

The "scene" is projected when:
- you design the other side in front of you, with 2 or 3 block depth as a margin. http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/designated_other_side.png
- the gate has pre-rendered image of other side. http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/pre_rendered_image.png
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.
I have played and checked your map. You will have no problem.

Perhaps the shop keeper wants to return the items, which he cannot sell, to you.

For example, if you throw a moneybox into his room, he will return it by throwing.

Thanks
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

@Sphenx

Still looking into the teleporter issue
Sphenx wrote: Well, DM2GDED is the tool for importing new musics into the graphics.dat. You would search for MIDI to HMP converter to have the proper file format.
Then, using the songlist.dat file, you can assign a music number to each map. This file contain one byte (music ID) per map (in the order they are defined as shown in DMDC2)

However, some musics existing in the retail graphics.dat are not used in the game, so you can already use some 'new' musics, but they may not match what you want.
Pls explain in more details, yes I see the chapter '04 Music HMP format' in Graphics.dat but export allows you to .bin only. Also there are no files stored, it's just hex editor. Where do I get such converter, is it a tool specially for DM2 or on the web? How do I use 'songlist.dat', yes I like the music from Setup.exe test Music, will replace probably the one in the Sun clan's area. And may add some new ones.
04 Music (HMP Format)
- 00 5595.bin (Unknown Location) Unused Music (calm, could be used for outside first shops, etc)
- 01 5596.bin (Unknown Location) Unused Music (intensive/action)
- 02 5618.bin Map 0 Hero Cave, Map 30 Bad Merchant Shops, Map 24 Magic Merchant
- 03 5597.bin Bat Caves Map 20, Map 35, Map 43
- 04 5598.bin Map 4 Skullkeep Wooden Rams Rooms
- 05 5619.bin (Unknown Location) Unused Music (ambient, scary)
- 06 5599.bin Map 13 Lowest Cave With Lava
- 07 5620.bin (Unknown Location) Unused Music (ambient, scary similar to Map 25 music)
- 08 5600.bin Map 21 Cave With Tiger Striped Worms & Tempest
- 09 5601.bin Map 33,41 Outside Skullkeep Entrance/Sun Clan Area
- 0A 5602.bin DM2 Setup Test Music
- 0B 5621.bin DM2 Setup Test Music Alternative (Less Instruments)
- 0C 5603.bin Map 5 Water Supply Room, Map 6 Water Pump Room, Map 10 First Cave Under Skullkeep, Map 11 Skullkeep Gate
- 0D 5604.bin Map 9 Minion Portals And Boiler Room
- 0E 5622.bin Map 2 Voltage Room, Map 15 Moon Key And Wolves, Map 23 Catacombs, Map 36 Catacombs Lower Level
- 0F 5605.bin Map 8 Vexirk King, Numenstaff, Techeye Traps
- 10 5606.bin Map 12 Dru Tan's Cave
- 11 5623.bin Map 1 Skullkeep Rooftop, Map 16 Outside First Shops, Map 17 Graveyard, Map 18 Merchant Weapons Shop, Map 19 Merchant Food Shop, Map 22 Torham's House, Map 28 Merchant Armors Shops
- 12 5607.bin Map 7 Reptilian Demon Archers Area
- 13 5608.bin Map 40 Skeletons, Tiger Striped Worm Caves
- 14 5609.bin Map 27 Lightning Key Vortex Area
- 15 5610.bin Map 14 Thorn Demon Area
- 16 5611.bin Map 39, Map 42 Thicket Thief Areas, Map 26 Under Boiler Room Dungeon, Giggler Area
- 17 5612.bin Map 25 Tree Gorgon Area
- 18 5613.bin Map 3 Power Crystal Area Alternative (Less Instruments)
- 19 5614.bin Map 3 Power Crystal Area Alternative 2 (Less Instruments)
- 1A 5615.bin Map 3 Power Crystal Area Alternative 3 (Less Instruments)
- 1B 5616.bin Map 3 Power Crystal Area Full
- 1C 5617.bin Map 38 Void, Dragoth
kentaro-k.21 wrote: EDIT: fixed wrong quote.
Sorry. Here is update:
http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/DM/DMDC2_DM2G ... 4_02_02.7z
Hey thanks very much for that! Finally they are transparent in the background.
I will check the shop keeper again.. and play around w it, ye he does throw items back in general.

11. Ok something that is annoying - Is there a place to set what color the Food and Water bars will be? As I pointed in my first question they use the colors of Heroes' life bars, so if I set Green to be instead of Yellow or Red, when Food/Water becomes Yellow/Red it will display e.g Green that is WRONG, can I separate or assign them another colors to use? Same for weight - uses the colors of *Yellow* and *Red* Hero life bars.. that may become green blue :/

Weight - uses Yellow/Red Hero color
Food/Water at Yellow/Red level uses Yellow/Red hero
Poison uses red hero life bar color
Menu Options (also uses the Yellow bar color)

12. Can I make a custom terrain (other than cave, grass, dungeon etc) - If I duplicated an existing one in DM2GDED and changed in DMDC2 from e.g 05 Graveyard to 06 (the custom one) - I'd get:

13. Can an Item be deleted from DM2GDED, I mean a whole CLASS cause I seem to not have a way to do it - once you create a champ/item/terrain cannot delete it. Also would be nice to copy whole class across files, e.g copy 2E Custom Weapon class to another graphics.dat
Last edited by emetar on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

Hi.
emetar wrote:@11. Ok something that is annoying - Is there a place to set what color the Food and Water bars will be? As I pointed in my first question they use the colors of Heroes' life bars, so if I set Green to be instead of Yellow or Red, when Food/Water becomes Yellow/Red it will display e.g Green that is WRONG, can I separate or assign them another colors to use? Same for weight - uses the colors of *Yellow* and *Red* Hero life bars.. that may become green blue :/

That colors are hard coded in the program.

food/water

//^24A5:0FE6
	DRAW_POWER_STAT_BAR(pChampion->curFood(), 496, COLOR_BROWN, -1024, 0);
	//^24A5:0FFE
	DRAW_POWER_STAT_BAR(pChampion->curWater(), 497, COLOR_BLUE, -1024, 0);
health/stamina/mana bars

//^2E62:022F
				FILL_RECT_SUMMARY(
					&_4976_3ff0,
					&bp0c,
					glbPaletteT16[glbChampionColor[player]]
					);
It may be difficult to modify existing fire.exe, however it will be able to do with our DM2 clone.

@Sphenx Would you mind if I add these support codes to skwinspx? I'll allocate some word values in graphics.dat.

12. Can I make a custom terrain (other than cave, grass, dungeon etc) - If I duplicated an existing one in DM2GDED and changed in DMDC2 from e.g 05 Graveyard to 06 (the custom one) - I'd get:[/b]
It is also hard coded. The max count is fixed up to 6 scenes. (0,1,2,3,4 and 5)

If we use our clone to solve it, we have to separate these values from source code. It will not be difficult work.
13. Can an Item be deleted from DM2GDED, I mean a whole CLASS cause I seem to not have a way to do it - once you create a champ/item/terrain cannot delete it. Also would be nice to copy whole class across files, e.g copy 2E Custom Weapon class to another graphics.dat
Ok, I'll add support codes. These menus will be:
- Remove this sub-class
- Export this sub-class to new partial.dat file

Thanks
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

kentaro-k.21 wrote: @Sphenx Would you mind if I add these support codes to skwinspx? I'll allocate some word values in graphics.dat.
I suggest you use entries within category 7 (interface) along food/water/poison images (so word entries for indexes 6, 7 and 8 ). However can it target the 256 colors palette instead of the 16 colors one ?
kentaro-k.21 wrote:
12. Can I make a custom terrain (other than cave, grass, dungeon etc) - If I duplicated an existing one in DM2GDED and changed in DMDC2 from e.g 05 Graveyard to 06 (the custom one)

If we use our clone to solve it, we have to separate these values from source code. It will not be difficult work.
At least 0 to 15 are usable within the dungeon.dat. Is it a limitation of memory usage ? I remember having problems loading a graphics.dat containing too much dungeon graphics (or it was me doing something wrong).
Could be great to also use up to 253 dungeon graphics. I think there are some 4 unused bits in the map header, we may use them to expand the dungeon graphics value.
emetar
Novice

Post by emetar »

I will later get back to you for teleport and shop issue, haven't checked those yet.
That colors are hard coded in the program.
It is up to you if you want to make these editable or not, just let me know if you will do, it doesn't matter to me. I will eventually have to use Yellowish and Red colors for these two bars..

Will be difficult or not? :) Yeah if one could add at least one more terrain, would be so good! In fact, I want to add one more but if I have any of the 0-5 terrains, I may sacrifice the Rooftop :/
Ok, I'll add support codes. These menus will be:
- Remove this sub-class
- Export this sub-class to new partial.dat file
Perfect! But can the 2nd be Paste new class? Cause I think a new DAT file would mean, we wouldn't be able to simply paste it into an existing DAT file? Like you have Graphics.dat backup and Graphics.dat that you modify from one file to another - that was my point :)

Oh and - in case you can answer the same as Sphenx

As you can see above, in Blue I figured out which music is which, now Spenx said I could edit Soundlist.dat to determine which map, which Music will use - how do I do that? Also How do I import my own Music and replace existing ones? I see the only format is BIN
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

emetar wrote:As you can see above, in Blue I figured out which music is which, now Sphenx said I could edit Soundlist.dat to determine which map, which Music will use - how do I do that?
Open the songlist.dat in an hexadecimal editor :

Each value is corresponding to a HMP music number.
The first value is then the music for the first map (vault chamber); the second value is the music for skullkeep roof, etc ...

Although I think there is some shift on the first line where there is the value 0A, it seems to be ignored (don't know if it is because 0A is the test music or because the 0D0A sequence).

FF are unused maps. I believe putting FF for a map will make it to not change music (keeps the one from the maps you come from).

emetar wrote: Also How do I import my own Music and replace existing ones? I see the only format is BIN
The format is HMP. Unfortunately I am not aware of tool converting MIDI towards HMP format (but I guess the formats should be quite similar)

One important point : you are currently using the DM2 PCDOS engine; the DM2 clone Kentaro created (SkWin) has been created from the PC9821 version and any improvement (like bar colors not hard coded) will work only for this version (notably the creature animation system is different, no HMP music support). Though, SkWin works natively on Windows.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”