DM2 Editor DMDC2 Help

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
kfgodsey
Neophyte

DM2 Editor DMDC2 Help

Post by kfgodsey »

Hi! I do not know what I am doing wrong but I cannot get DMDC2 to same my edits so they appear in the game. My edits are saved in the editor but when I run the game the edits are not there. Example... added a blue gem to the area outside the shops at the start of the game just to see if I could. Gem is there every time I open the Dungeon.dat file in DMDC2 but never appears when I run the game. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Keith
kfgodsey
Neophyte

Re: DM2 Editor DMDC2 Help

Post by kfgodsey »

Follow up. Windows 7 32 bit. latest version of DMDC2 (8), from about a month ago. Also tried on Windows 7 64 bit with same result. Played this game many years ago on my Atari ST. Downloaded DM2 from old-games.com. Downloaded from the Dungeon Master Encyclopedia web site with same results.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Keith
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Hello kfgodsey and welcome to the forums :)

Seeing your result, I would say that you are not running the same dungeon.dat that you've just edited with DMDC2.
Either edit directly the dungeon.dat which is in your skulkeep\data folder or copy the dungeon.dat you edited to skulkeep\data (or whatever is your DM2 install folder).

Let us know

Sphenx
Tianhe1A
Neophyte

Post by Tianhe1A »

Hi kfgodsey,

I v'e tried to do exactly the same thing as you, to put at the very start some blue gems around, being able to buy some handy weapons straight nearby. To say, I play with both versions, the ones from Abandonia under DOS-Box D-FendReloaded v0.74 . The other versions are known under the label RTC (Return to Chaos), including DM; DM II (The Legend of Skullkeep) and CSB) which are NOT running via DOS-Box. Here you will have the incorporated Editor, named RTC Editor, who let You see the detailed levels of each of the three games and You should be able to modify every square and every character. Unfortunately therefore is no Handbook nor Tutorial available. For the versions I mentioned first, I v'e tried to download DMDC2 too, but no chance at all, I can not get to the http://dmweb.free.fr/. Does this website still exist or not ? I played DM and all their sequels decades ago on the AMIGA, and got recently the pleasure to play them again on PC.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

The problem with the link should be temporarily.
mrmick
Neophyte

Post by mrmick »

Mods to the DUNGEON .DAT file will only show up in a new game. After the first save, your modified dungeon will become part of a new DMGAME.DAT file.
Existing DMGAME.DAT files use the DUNGEON.DAT file that existed when that game was first saved, and can't be edited with DMDC2.
Tianhe1A
Neophyte

Post by Tianhe1A »

After a long absence, I went back to DM II and forgot the RTC version. Ergonomy is different from Doug Bell's version, which I was used to. So I reinstalled the version from Old Games via Dos-Box and the game works properly. At the first istance, the ambient sound was absent, but I fiddeld around with the setup and changed the IRQ of "1" to "5" and thats it. As decades ago with my AMIGA, thats the way I like it.

best regards, Marcel

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”