Boiler, Furnace & Water

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
luke41
Craftsman

Boiler, Furnace & Water

Post by luke41 »

I have a "strategic" question, please do not tell me too much about any riddle-solutions etc.
I am now at the end of level 2 (castle), and am not sure whether
- go back to the caverns to fuel with pyro and light the furnace
- or go up, open water, and later light furnace.
- or it is not important, since both - water and fire - will not stop flowing & burning?

I just want to avoid the situation of lighting the fire first, then spending long time in the levels 2-4, to discover later that the fire is out... The way back from castle to caverns is not sooo long, on the other hand it would be nice to have finished all jobs downstairs and go further up & up.

By the way: The machine showing furnace-status seems broken - is there something to repair or is it just a useless hanging metal plate?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Boiler, Furnace & Water

Post by Ameena »

Hrmm, to give the briefest and spoiler-free answer I can think of, you need both machines working in order to complete the game, and once you get to the place where their activation is necessary, you'll be able to tell whether they're running or not. I don't actually think it takes that long to revisit either of them, as far as I can remember, because by that point you'll have pretty much cleared the whole castle anyway (or at least the bits you need to pass through in order to get back down). You'll mainly have those sodding Minions to worry about and there's not much you can do about them (you certainly can't stop them on a permanent basis, anyway).

Edit - Also just remembered that for the furnace, at least, you'll only need to go down there and clear out the Guard Minion blocking the way - unless you've attacked them, the Pyros ar non-hostile and will constantly attempt to refuel the furnace with the rocks they pull from inside them. They can't do anything about the Guard Minion, though, so tend to run away from it because if I remember rightly it attempts to shoot them if they get too close. It does respwn after a while but you'll have enough time to go back upstairs and do what you need to do.
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

Thanks. By now I activated a pumping machine at the end of level 2 (but the display on level 1 of castle still is low... - maybe I have to find a place to open water...), and decided to continue going up the castle. As you say, I discovered that there are ladder-shortcuts downstairs, so my former question is obsolete.

In the caverns, unfortunately, I have attacked the rockies long ago... This cannot be undone, so I will have to find some other way to fuel the furnace (which I didnt find yet, but I havent been to the 2nd (lower) cavern level. But before attacking them I saw them throwing pyro into those holes - so the furnace must be somewhere there...

Yes, the minions. I still see not much sense in my own minions. Attacking minions are quite stupid compared to "bad" minions. They were ok to fight some skeletons etc., but now they attack the "bad" minions once, then my minions walk away. And the guard minions (supposing guarding my party) just stay in the place they were put out. So the best tactics against the often reappearing "bad" minions is "jump left-right" & fireballs so far... And then saving and moving further...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Guard Minions never move - Attack Minions will follow you and shoot at stuff that attacks you. The other two types, Scout and Porter Minions, are only available via their respective maps (personally the only Minion I ever bother with is the Porter to help me collect axes to sell ;)).
I think there are two water thingys that need acitivating but I can't remember specifics. Water pumps, I think they are?
If you killed the Rockies then all you need to do is what they'd've been doing themselves - chuck pyros into the furnace-hole-thingy (you should be able to find them lying around on the floor if I remember rightly).
The machines that you need to power will run out after a while so if you spend too long going back up to the Zo-Link (the big machine that these devices are powering) then you may find they've turned off and you'll need to go back down and reactivate them.
Craftsman

Post by luke41 »

I am confused or I will have to start the whole game again...
Where is the furnace? Is it the thing with pipes in cavern-level 1, close to the ladder (1st cavern level under lowest dungeon level).
I cannot find anything looking like furnace on cavern-level 2 (the one with the squeezing machine and where rockies came from), nor the cavern-level 3 (below, the level with fireplaces and flame-ghosts).
If it is the thing on cavern-level 1, then the problem continues: where will I get any pyros (I have put them all into the holes on cavern-level 2 where rockies were throwing them as well, before I attacked them...) - so they should be somewhere on cavern-level 3 - but I cannot find any there...

Another problem: pumps at the end of dungeon-level 2 are on, and I opened water valves on dungeon-level 3. Still the wooden info on level 4 says "no water - open valves". But the control shows water flowing. So what is really true?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I can't remember the exact details. I know the Rockies (or yourself, if you killed them) throwing the pyro rock thingys into the furnace causes it to burn, maybe that heats up the water? I think maybe the bit with the Rockies is just where the thing is kept lit but not where the actual furnace itself is, or something. Or maybe it's a water boiler of some kind.

Okay, so I just looked it up and the furnace fuels the boiler. On a different floor of the dungeon are some water pumps that need to be activated by placing a vacuum fuse somewhere and pulling a lever nearby. Then there are some valve thingys which need to be activated and are somewhere past that really annoying bit with the battering rams coming out of the walls and another puzzle involving bouncing spells off some reflectors or something. If the furnace has gone out you need to go down and chuck another pyro into it. I would guess that pyros will respawn on the floor somewhere in that cave so that you haven't totally messed up if you killed all the Rockies...
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Ameena wrote:I would guess that pyros will respawn on the floor somewhere in that cave so that you haven't totally messed up if you killed all the Rockies...
I believe that there are some hidden Pyro miners behind the wall where you find the hung wagons (cavern-level 1).
From time to time on your side, the wagons will move and drop a new Pyro, thanks to them.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”