DM2 XP and leveling.

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Beezertheturnip
Neophyte

DM2 XP and leveling.

Post by Beezertheturnip »

So, I've been replaying DM2 again, because it helps my satisfy certain hoarding impulses I have. Mostly, I just like dragging huge piles of treasure around in the starting fort (don't judge me!)

But I do occasionally get interested in other aspects of the game, and lately I've been wondering about XP. I looked over this thread http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 29&t=29647 And the location based multipliers were very nice to know about, but I was wondering about the actual sub-skills. I know from reading the clue book a long, long time ago, that each of the four major skills has certain minor skills, like swing, parry, thrust, etc. for fighter, and different ones for the other classes.

So a few questions.

1) Say I level up a guy from Novice to Journeyman (or any level, really) solely by repeated applications of one of those sub-skills. Will there be any difference if I had gained that level by evenly applying all sub-skills?

2) Is it faster to level up by even application, or by targeted application?

3)What do some of them even DO? I mean, so the elemental stuff for mages seems relatively intuitive, except insofar as which spells do what. Throwing, shooting, fighting for ninja seems obvious. But what does "Influence" do? Has anyone ever worked this out?

Thanks, in advance, for any help that anyone can offer.
Sphenx
On Master

Re: DM2 XP and leveling.

Post by Sphenx »

Welcome there !

First, you can find the list of the sub-skills here : http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/691 (there are called "hidden" since not displayed ingame).
Secondly, I use SKWin code as reference -- but I have doubt if there is not broken code about xp gain ?..

1) I want to say yes that there will be a difference. Because the engine generally compares actions and stuff regarding the sub-skill level and not the general skill level.
However, I am still confused about the way it is done, specially for spells which seem to use the general skill level.

2) It is faster to level up by the application that gives you the max xp each time. The "level up" message is given by checking the general skill level, which is basically the sum of all sub-skills xp. The fastest way would be to reach the map that has the greatest xp modifier and train vs creatures.

As I did in the post you referenced, you can check xp gain using SKWin.Mod.Release from there : http://dmbuilder.sphenxmusics.fr/files/skwinspx.zip.

3) Influence is specially used for Calm/Confuse and Freeze Life.

As DM2 is largely based on DM code, I think that checking the same questions for DM/CSBWin would give you the correct answers.
Beezertheturnip
Neophyte

Post by Beezertheturnip »

Many thanks for the help, Sphenx.
Merudo
Novice

Post by Merudo »

Related question: what is the most cost effective way to increase Priest and Wizard levels?

From what you said, training using spells with low sub-skills would be the most efficient use of mana.

However, what power level should be used?

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”