Annoyance-reducing tips (Contains spoilers!)

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Annoyance-reducing tips (Contains spoilers!)

Post by JETENGINE »

I noticed a method in Dungeon Master 2 of bypassing or ignoring some of the puzzles and annoyances without using an editor. They all involve the scout minion and, as a result, can't be used in RTC. They are:
  • Some monsters do not strike a scout minion unless you occupy the same space, leaving you with one less front if you are adjacent to (but not sharing) a square with one. These monsters are:
    • Bats (Cave and Roof)
      Thicket thieves (Thicket)
      Wolves (Thicket)
      Mummies (Inside)
      Ghosts (Inside)
      Tiger Striped Worms (Cave)
      Dru Tan (Cave)
      There may be more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
    Moving pits, Flame Orbs (Cave), and teleporters in the crypt and Skullkeep Castle dislike the scout minions because they can't move into or past a space with another monster or obstacle on it (and since the scout minions are under your control. . . :twisted: ). Flame Orbs don't explode until they share the space with the party, which is why the scout minion is effective.

When you enter Skullkeep Castle after unlocking the door using the Clan Key, summon a scout (This will get old pretty soon!) minion and position it under the final door BEFORE YOU TRIGGER THE EYE. Save your game, cast an Aura of Speed spell upon yourself and quickly attract the eye's attention, then spam-step in the direction of the three doors until you get bruises from bumping into a wall. If you get them from iron gates, reload and try again.

In the location just past the boiler room, where you find a second scout map, can be bypassed by summoning a scout, moving it to the area just in front of the ZO shooter, avoiding the pressure pad, and casting your own ZO spell. Zap! Instant (Pun incoming!) zo-pit zone!

The above tactic can be used again in the REFLECTOR PRACTICE room. Summon a scout, move it in front of the FUL shooter, and BOOM! All four pits gone in one fell blast!
Should this list help anyone, they are very much welcome to use it. If it doesn't help, I apologize for giving false information and/or hope.
Jay.
Hanging by a thread.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Re: Annoyance-reducing tips (Contains spoilers!)

Post by JETENGINE »

Adding to the list of creatures that ignore scout minions in favour of attacking the party:
Skeletons (Thicket and Cave)

Adding to the list of methods to reduce anger and/or annoyance in the room with the bio-magnet:
1) Summon scout minion.
2) Have it just in front of the zap-zone without being in the way of the electricity. It must be facing the electricity.
3) Any enemy minions that want to get to you will probably get blasted at least twice before they can hit you. You know how much that hurts if you've been hit once.
Hanging by a thread.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Re: Annoyance-reducing tips (Contains spoilers!)

Post by JETENGINE »

Just to satisfy a whim of curiosity, I left a Glop (Thicket and Inside) alive while I went out to collect the scout map as an experiment to see if they would attack a scout minion. The result: they don't unless you are standing on one, not that it matters much anyways, seeing as how you will likely defeat them all before you can pick up a scout map.

The ever-experimenting,
Jay.
Hanging by a thread.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”