Black Crypt

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
amigagirl
Neophyte

Post by amigagirl »

I never finish Black Crypt on my amiga because was to hard for me. I will try this again sometime before end of year but i knowing it will be long time before i finish. I taking 2 years to finish CSB because it was to hard :D.

heh
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

Post by DraconicMajesty »

Not a game to play at 2am, on your lonesome, when it's time for the Medusa chamber...

Oooh, big floating skull... wonder what that does...

***SHRIEK!***

Panic! Flee! Run into one of those other monsters on the level! Get "back-stabbed" by the Medusa... game over. Yes, I remember that well.
Beat: DM, CSB, EOB, EOB2, EOB3, Black Crypt, Captive, Hired Guns...
...show-off.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

HELP!!!
I tried to emulate Black Krypt by WinUAE. Everything seems fine, BUT the game needs "gamesave" disk. I tried to create a blank Amiga disc and named it "gamesave.adf", as it is mentioned in the instruction, but nothing happened. I already tried various names and disc capabilities, but nothing works. I even formatted .adf disc in Amiga version of CSB and renamed it, but nothing works. Without gamesave disk I cannot play BC. Help!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Launch Workbench on the emulator and give the disk a name "GAMESAVE" by using the RENAME option from the TOOLS menu or formatting it from the same menu.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

thanx Suule!!!
This game is really good, probably the best just after DM/CSB. Hard enough and well made! Runs UNBELIEVABLY WELL on WinUAC (well, I did A1200 settings etc.)! I never finished it on Amiga, so maybe now... I`ve seen some maps - there are 28 of them and most are GIGANTIC!!

*seriously thinking about ripping the stuff...*
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Ravensoft
Neophyte

Post by Ravensoft »

I'm glad to see that people are still enjoying the game after all these years! It was a real labor of love and I still have fond memories of those early days.

Steve Raffel
Raven Software
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Believe it or not I still have the original BC disks somewhere and the manual (Awfuly translated though). I wonder if I could make IPFs out of them...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have IPFs of Black Crypt if anyone wants them.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I'd like them. I have all my amiga stuff in the other apartment and I'm not in the mood to get them.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hi Steve! Even though this is a DM forum you can see mentions of Black Crypt still keep cropping up!
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I wish that BC Win port would finally be finished. But that's quite unlikely now.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I think Germanja's web site has the first two levels of the BC win port, as the original site/link is broken.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I got the Win port. Unfortunately it's choppy on my config... so no BC Win for me.
HOBORG
Neophyte

Post by HOBORG »

Suule wrote:I got the Win port. Unfortunately it's choppy on my config... so no BC Win for me.
Look here: http://amiga.esero.net/games.htm

BC 100% Working.

HOBORG
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Kinda hard to read for most residents of this forum. I'd be interested if I knew what the heck it said!
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I looked at the screenshots, there are a few pearls on this site with beautiful graphics.

I didn't know of "Unreal" until now. Somehow they managed to numerize or reproduce one of Tim White's picture for their main screen. (the one with the guy in a swamp spiders web and a distant city on a mountain).
What Is Your Quest ?
HOBORG
Neophyte

Post by HOBORG »

Joramund wrote:I looked at the screenshots, there are a few pearls on this site with beautiful graphics.

I didn't know of "Unreal" until now. Somehow they managed to numerize or reproduce one of Tim White's picture for their main screen. (the one with the guy in a swamp spiders web and a distant city on a mountain).
So, enjoy it :)
HOBORG
Neophyte

Post by HOBORG »

Tom Hatfield wrote:Kinda hard to read for most residents of this forum. I'd be interested if I knew what the heck it said!
About my post?
Well i try to say - you can found Black Crypt on my HOBRing web site. It is WHDLoadized Amiga version, 100% working on PC.

Just look at http://hobring.esero.net/games.htm

PS: Sorry for my english...
Amiga Forever!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think he meant the website - google and altavista have not got around to having english to czech translations in their tools yet :(

Thanks for the link!
HOBORG
Neophyte

Post by HOBORG »

beowuuf wrote:I think he meant the website - google and altavista have not got around to having english to czech translations in their tools yet :(

Thanks for the link!
I did it as simply as possible to play Amiga games on PC.
If you click on link i posted, you will find a small instructions what to do. It is in english too.

If you have any idea about improvement, give me know.
Amiga Forever!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

It's a wonderful resource, HOBORG. Maybe just add an 'English Instructions' link to near the top of the page, pointing to a simple text file? I'm sure that there is a CZ -> EN translator on the web some where....
kofeur
Neophyte

Post by kofeur »

I have some unfinished business with Black Crypt and I want to play it again.
I never managed to finish it in the Amiga days as my gamesaves kept getting corrupted, I started the game again 5 times before finally giving up! The farthest I ever got to before this evil gamesave corruption was the underwater level.

So what is the best way to play it again? Through the WinUAE emulator? Or through this Amiga in a box thing?
Sorry, I don't know much about the amiga emulation, just want to play on something that won't corrupt my saves...
Yes I'm paranoid when it comes to this game :lol:
Erik Bauer
Adept

Re: Black Krypt

Post by Erik Bauer »

The best thing is always to play it with a real Amiga... the feeling is unemulable.

But if you do not have your Amiga anymore, then just download the WHDLoadized Black Crypt installation whose link you can find some posts above... then install WinUae and give it a run. Nowdays WinUAE is the best thing to use in order to play an Amiga game on non Amiga hardware.
Don't let a closed door stop you
Twiggy
Craftsman

Re: Black Krypt

Post by Twiggy »

Hmm I think I threw almost as many hours into this game as I did into Dungeon Master in my early teens. But while I was able to finish DM multiple times, only ever beat the Crypt once and that's with the maps in the manual. I've still got that book in my garage actually.

I remember on level...3? with the invisible scorpion like creatures. First time I went barrelling into there without the mask of true sight. Then wondering what the hell was hitting me. I used to hate the underwater levels because of the whole needing to breath thing, and I also disliked the "fire" levels because everything was red lol.

I did think it was really cool the concept of the story and how you had to find the 4 artifacts to beat the boss, and how they all worked in conjunction. Was really cool. At the same time though, having been a DM nutter before I played Crypt, I hated how you were tied to 4 classes and they couldn't really do anything outside their class. It was fine for the Cleric and Fighter, but once your spells dried up, the MU and Druid were pretty useless as their knives and bows didn't do a hell of a lot.

I've still got it on my WinUAE and have been meaning to take a run through it for a while now. Could be a job for when I'm in my new house I think