Black Crypt

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
twinfalls
Journeyman

Black Crypt

Post by twinfalls »

An old game from raven-games like DM, EOB, Knightmare, Bloowhich, Captive,,,,,,,,,,,
There seems to be a come back..... see:
<a href="http://www.raven-games.com/">www.raven-games.com/</a>
Cheers
twinfalls
Journeyman

Black Crypt

Post by twinfalls »

About this OpenGl remake see:
<a href="http://www.rickmus.com/BlackCrypt/">www ... kCrypt/</a>
akijuh
Neophyte

Black Crypt

Post by akijuh »

yes, BC is done and will be out soon...
IceDragon
Neophyte

Post by IceDragon »

BC demo freezes Win XP
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Maybe you should post it in the forums there as well... along with a more detailed description.

Regards, PitD
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Tried the windows port, played poorly under XP :( Shame it was a cool ( if inferior to DM/CSB/(RTC) ) game.
Don't be scene or herd!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

the OGL version's link doesn't show up when I go there. seems dead
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Is this the full game or just a demo ? i remember when i had my trusty old Amiga500 there were some parts VERY difficult to pass, life the underwater level (idiot blobs in ceiling). The OpenGL version sound hangs with my WinXP, but i think my prob is the soundboard (SBLive 1024 Player).

http://www.rickmus.com/BlackCrypt/
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Have to disagree with copperman, i dont think its inferior to DM / CSB / RTC, the graphics are much better (even in the amiga version R.I.P.), animations, sounds and music ROCKS. Only problem is that THERE IS NO PC VERSION THAT WORKS 100% :evil: wich is very annoying. Its a very underrated game who "died" too soon. I would love to see a Black Crypt II... unfortunatly im not a programmer, nor do i know any. Could a make a chalenge to all the programers and hackers out there ? Bring BC back to life !!! :D
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Black Crypt was quite difficult, i played it with a solution (ever heard of an invisible button?)

The one thing about black crypt was that it had some new "ideas".
e.g. there were different inventories for underwear clothing and armor parts. Again, this was not to everyone´s liking.
Some cool monsters, like the double headed ogre with a key around his neck, or the underwater boss, big. froglike. Not to forget the respawning Soultaker.
Spells had decent names, and the upgrade-books were really something you were looking for..
sadly, it was too difficult .. imagine skeleton mace-hurling eliteguards-sth. like the dm-knights, that nearly kill your strongest fighter with one chop...The endboss was a real disappointment in comparison.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Yep, that was that... Really though game to come up with a wimp for a boss... but the two-headed ogre was easy, you just needed that cursed blade in the beginning. What i liked best about the game was how all the levels seemed to merge in one BIG maze, you had to do level 2 to finish 1, etc...
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

zoooom wrote:Black Crypt was quite difficult, i played it with a solution (ever heard of an invisible button?)

sadly, it was too difficult .. imagine skeleton mace-hurling eliteguards-sth. like the dm-knights, that nearly kill your strongest fighter with one chop...The endboss was a real disappointment in comparison.
BC was the first dungeon-crawler I finished (didnt use a walkthrough). I dont think its harder then the others ive played. The fights are a bit harder then in, say eob, but that just means that they arent as easy, not that they are hard. You are right that the endboss is a disappointment in comparison to the eliteguard. The mace-weilding skeletons are perfectly balanced imo.

Having completed BC atleast 20 times, I do not remember any invisible buttons.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Just take the level (14??, one of the three) where the soultaker is; there is on some wall a very tiny or invisible switch. The solution said it was invisible.Anyway it´s been a long while and i did not play it that intensely.
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

zoooom wrote:Just take the level (14??, one of the three) where the soultaker is; there is on some wall a very tiny or invisible switch. The solution said it was invisible.Anyway it´s been a long while and i did not play it that intensely.
I raced through that level a week ago, cant remember any invisible buttons, however, the button highlighted here is rather small:

If you dont find this button you get stuck, so I imagine that it made quite alot of players frustrated.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I really think you already pressed that button on this screenshot, so it is better visible than before.

Post by Guest »

zoooom wrote:I really think you already pressed that button on this screenshot, so it is better visible than before.
No, when the button has been pressed it looks like this:

Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Forgot to log in before I posted, sorry :oops:

I might add that I think there are invisible pressure plates in this area that you have to step on several times in order for the passage to open. I think that hitting the button activate these plates, but I cant confirm it since I havent experimented with it. I do think that you have to both hit this button and step on these plates in order to proceed (I usually hit the button first and then run around like a madman (this is a very small area), until the passage opens.

Thats how I think that it works, for all I know there might just a timer :lol: I havent just hit the button and then waited for 5 minuts, ill try that next time ill run through BC :wink:
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

which version do you play on which computer? i had played on an amiga500, maybe an earlier version. Might be different versions out there... i can hardly believe the thing with the visible button.Although my memory could play tricks on me... I do think that there were different versions because the game had critics that pointed out it was too difficult.
But i do not know. shrug*
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

zoooom wrote:which version do you play on which computer? i had played on an amiga500, maybe an earlier version. Might be different versions out there... i can hardly believe the thing with the visible button.Although my memory could play tricks on me... I do think that there were different versions because the game had critics that pointed out it was too difficult.
But i do not know. shrug*
How did you go about the situation (ya, like someone can remember that this far after)? I mean, if you ran around clicking walls then you might have stepped on the invis pressure plates (just a thought).

Maybe there were different version, but Ive never heard of any and I have played 3 different copies of the game without hitting invisible buttons.

Critics often say games are difficult because they are doing things the wrong way. Just look at reviews of EOB1, several of them say that you can only beat Xanathar if you are max level, ya right, using sidestepping OR the wand of silvias any party can win easily, without getting hit once. Just like fighting the eliteguard in BC, if you do it right you wont get hit. The high damage is only there to punish you if you mess up. Also, due to bugged weapons (if you choose to use them, I usually dont since I want to up the challenge), all fights after lvl 14 are very easy in BC.

Some situations are rather annoying though, like the fact that you have to hit one button like five times in order to progress, and I do seem to remember one button that isnt there the first time you see the wall, it appears after you hit another button, but Im not 100% sure - going through BC is routine by now.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I would love to give BC another go, but the emulated disks have the copy protection on and I dont have my BC manual any more.

Can anyone assist?
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

andyboy_uk wrote:I would love to give BC another go, but the emulated disks have the copy protection on and I dont have my BC manual any more.

Can anyone assist?
Try this:

http://amiga.emucamp.com/manuals/blackcrypt.zip

I havent tried it, but if that isnt the right manual or blabla, we'll find some way to hook you up.

2 weapons in the game are "bugged" and give damage up in the hundreds. Raven has confirmed that these arent working as intended, so if you want the challenge that the designers wanted you to have then dont use them.

Have fun!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Link didnt work, not found. Any mirrors?
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Link doesn't work because it's a "hotlink" : you can't access the file unless you're already on the website.

You need to go to http://amiga.emucamp.com/, then click on Ami Sector One, go to the Games section, letter B, select Black Crypt, and there you can download both the game and the manual.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

How am i supposed to open the manual ? It is an unknown file format:

BlackCrypt.L2map

I tried it to load/open it with winfellow, but no effect. Texteditor also failed. Healp!
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Try this instead, ive downloaded it and looked at it, so it should be ok.

http://www.christoud.com/Jeux/Black_Cry ... manual.zip
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Thanks;
Just for fun : what is this ".L2map" ?
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

I dont know, I didnt upload these files, I just found them.

Are you going to hunt for the invisible button? :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That archive contains Amiga IFF images -- you can load those maps into any program that can display Amiga IFFs. Photoshop, PaintshopPro -- and obviously Deluxe Paint if you have that...

They are just copies of the automap taken straight from the game -- no better than the ones sprinted in the manual.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

@ arthur : har har; not likely. I do believe you.

Now to a more "serious" matter: There are still people with a slow (modem)connection, who get unnecessarily "bogged" down by posted screenshots. It is better to link to the picture instead.
No offence meant, just a wink. ;)

@ Gambit: cheers for the explanation!
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

ah... black crypt, how i loved that game, i still do actually like i love dm2. several year back i remembered i used to get scared to death of that giant medusa skull o.o; but i was around... lets say... 7 or 8? another 4 or 5 years later i found the winuae emulator and started to find adf files of the game, installed it ,and played it again, and woot, this time i actually completed it ^.^, i might go back to it again one day for another run, but as of now, ive been way too addicted with an online game called runescape