EOB AGA (amiga 256 colours version)

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jgames
Novice

EOB AGA (amiga 256 colours version)

Post by Jgames »

Just downloaded this "remake", the great thing is that it has an automap; now i can play this game finally :D
here : http://hobring.esero.net/games.htm
scroll down to eob 1 aga.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Re: EOB AGA (amiga 256 colours version)

Post by Erik Bauer »

I downloaded it ages ago... but never found the time to play it
Please tell me if it is in fact any better than the original ECS version, in this case I'll play it gladly!
Don't let a closed door stop you
Jgames
Novice

Post by Jgames »

The colours are better (they in 256 colours, in fact they are the pc version images).
The good thing that prompted to play this one is the nice automap it has; (never played EOB1 at the time, tried to played recently, but without the automap, i couldn't find force to complete it)
So with the automap, it's clearly a big plus;
So i would say, if you never completed it before, play this version; If you already completed EOB1, there is no need to try this one.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Thank you for the report!
In fact I've completed both on my old Amiga ages ago.
To me the automap is not a big plus to me as I LOVE drawing my own maps by hand, but the improved GFX, that IS a good plus to me as I'm always hungry for AGA games.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

This is superb!
Jgames
Novice

Post by Jgames »

The reason i wanted to play EOB1 was because i liked EOB2 back in the day,
Thx to the automap, i reached level 9 and decided not to continue playing the game for several reasons:
- EOB1 is inferior to EOB2
- Level design not as catchy as EOB2 or DM
- When on level 8 i dropped throught a pit to level 9 and got stuck in a small room and corridor; i thought at first was a bug...but searching for an answer on the net, i found that i have to throw an item into a wall! There was no indication on the wall or any hint that this is the way to unlock this stuck situation. This just killed my enthousiasme to complete the game.
Does anyone remembers this?
I completed Dungeon Master back in the day, without automap, and without help, and never there was such a crazy situation like this one.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That's why DM is still the daddy :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yeah, EOB1 had a lot of issues that added up. The monsters weren't as unique, some details were missing (like closing doors on monsters), and the level-design was pretty bad. Every level was some sort of weird random maze without a true structure, unlike the great design of DM where every level has its own unique identity.The game wasn't actually that hard, but because of some weird situations like the one you described and the confusing maze-like levels, it could get frustrating.
Oddly enough, I played EOB1 a lot more than EOB2, though I agree that part 2 was better in many aspects. It might be nostalgia. But both games can't hold a handle to DM or CSB.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Ooh all this bashing, EOB was amazing!