Revenge of the Beholder - new EotB/DM game for iOS

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
kukulcan
Neophyte

Revenge of the Beholder - new EotB/DM game for iOS

Post by kukulcan »

Andreas Larsson, founder of the eob.wikispaced.org site developed a game engine for iPhone that right now can play mostly the full "Eye of the Beholder". He is starting on a level editor now, so we can build our own game.

I will support the project by building hires dungeon and item graphics - targeting iPad retina resolution as maximum.

We unfortunately dont have a good 3D character designer at hand, so we will set up a crowdfunding project to get those done professionally. We really hope for some support from you guys who want to play an updated classic on their iPhone or iPad.

We are not targeting to reach Grimrock level of technical perfection, just a nice retro experience with up-to-date graphics. Some pics of what the engine does right now:

Image Image Image
L_ghthouse
Novice

Re: Revenge of the Beholder - new EotB/DM game for iOS

Post by L_ghthouse »

Looks pretty slick. I would love to see an android version.
Kenshiro
Apprentice

Post by Kenshiro »

This looks very nice. I don't personally own anything that uses iOS, but I have quite a few friends that do. I'll be sure to mention this to the ones who may be interested.
moogie
Novice

Post by moogie »

I do not like Iphone very much, but I would love to try it out if it could be ported to Android or even the pc.

Cool work though very nice indeed
kukulcan
Neophyte

Post by kukulcan »

The Eye of the Beholder remake is now officially dead...long live SHADOWKEEPER

Here is a very early teaser, which shows where the engine is going:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsdNsf_HEpQ

And here a highres shot what it looks like on iPad 3 (featuring soft shadows & realtime Ambient Occlusion - which actually has a huge influence on how the story turns out):

No plans for everything other than iOS right now and we probably won't evaluate other OSes until after release.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Very atmospheric teaser! If LoG has shown us nothing else, it's that there is a market for DM/EOTB style games still, beyond the old fans :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i may buy and iPad finally :roll:
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

This look amazing and being a iPhone/iPad owner am looking forward to more news on this
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This ambient occlusion tech really makes a massive difference to the realism and atmosphere of modern games. I love it in Grimrock, and it looks great in the above shot too. Nice work :-)
kukulcan
Neophyte

Post by kukulcan »

MadMunky wrote:This look amazing and being a iPhone/iPad owner am looking forward to more news on this
First new news: Level Editor (iPad only) is been made with the end user in mind, so it will be available on release day or short after.
Gambit37 wrote:This ambient occlusion tech really makes a massive difference to the realism and atmosphere of modern games. I love it in Grimrock, and it looks great in the above shot too. Nice work
Thanks, yeah AO is really great to save lots of geometry as many sharp edges are hidden in the darkness. And the #1 feature to give games a less clinical look.
JackAsser
Neophyte

Post by JackAsser »

We've been working hard the whole year so far. Here's a little teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd1qdaUkJsI.
For insights in the development process please follow us on FaceBook (and please spread the word!!) https://www.facebook.com/WargByte
JackAsser
Neophyte

Post by JackAsser »

Another day, another video. Last night was dedicated to wash out a few bugs and prepare for a small mile stone. We're about to set up some nice spell casing and for testing we'll have a maze of small fences with pressure plate traps triggering launching of fire balls. Last part of the video shows a preview of the maze:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd1qdaUkJsI

Also the pressure plate models just came in and was easy to integrate and get running!

Please follow us on https://www.facebook.com/WargByte