Eye Of The Beholder 2 - the Red Cleric trap room

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Pres_du_Donjon
Neophyte

Eye Of The Beholder 2 - the Red Cleric trap room

Post by Pres_du_Donjon »

I'm curious to know if anyone ever tried this in Eye Of The Beholder 2: remember in the Silver Tower, third floor, the Flying Snakes level? There was a room with a trapped Red Cleric that would reveal itself as a trap without exit if you attacked the cleric, because the door would close and you'd be stuck inside. In the walkthrough published few months after the game's release on a magazine over here in Italy, it was stated there was no exit, and even in an interview with Westwood on the same magazine they said there was no way to get of it.

But, strong of my DM and CSB experience, I once casted a Hold Monster spell on a Flying Snake while it was right in the doorway... and upon attacking the cleric the door wouldn't close! I could then exit the room, but I guess this wasn't supposed to happen, as the entire level would go crazy, with every Flying Snake being suddenly replaced by a Red Cleric, Magic Mouths and keylocks disappearing from the walls, and other bizarre effects! You just had to go down the stairs to the previous level and come back, and everything would go back to normality.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re: Eye Of The Beholder 2 - the Red Cleric trap room

Post by Ian Clark »

I played EOB2 when it first came out but I only discovered this last year. It is nice to be able to get the items from that room.

You can do something similar in the cleric barracks, there is a room with 4 alcoves and a pressure pad in the middle. You can get treasure from one of the 4 rooms behind by placing all gems into one alcove. However, one room prevents you from coming back, thus trapping you in until you die. If you cast wall of force (a scroll for which appears in the azure tower) on the space where the wall appears, you will be able to leave this area as normal.
Pres_du_Donjon
Neophyte

Post by Pres_du_Donjon »

Wow, thank you Ian! I never tried the wall of force to get out of the cursed room in the cleric barracks. Great idea! Will do it for sure next time I play EOB 2.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Also, if you get a Serpent or fake Beholder to block the door where you first meet Dran (at the end of the riddle room), it will stay open (although that makes no difference because if you need to go back there, one of the mouths will open the door for you anyway)