Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Christoph
Craftsman

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Christoph »

Zyx wrote:The dd dungeon is not accessible anymore, it's just a failed experiment (bad gameplay).
Would you please consider to re-open it in WIP004? I'd really like to explore it without using my hacking skills, and think about all that wasted floor space, and all the people liking it in spite of yourself considering it to be bad!

Je t'en prie… à bientôt, Christoph
Christoph
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Download this file to play it.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Wip004 released.
Christoph
Craftsman

Conflux III for Linux

Post by Christoph »

Zyx wrote:Wip004 released.
Linux installation package updated.
Christoph
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Zyx wrote: Wip004 released.
Re: version history.txt

Ouch!
Christoph
Craftsman

The Long Lost Wand

Post by Christoph »

Can the Long Lost Wand lose its uniqueness and the orange description, or is this only visible at a higher priest level? I can identify Glowing Stones, Funereal, and Cursed items, for example, the Cursed requiring the most advanced level from the above.
Christoph
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

There are at least two other normal wands. Are you sure you are holding the Long Lost Wand or a regular one? I reincarnated Leif and Gando and neither could identify the Long Lost Wand as anything other than a wand. You can exhaust the "shield" action, but I don't think that it has charges for its "calm" and "heal" actions. It still had unique(yellow) and orange text. If I remember correctly Yellow text appeared at Adept Priest, orange at Expert and the white dialog box text at UM Master. Calm is the only action available to Priests below Novice holding a wand.

Glowing stones are obvious, you put it in your hand and if there's a "light" action, you have a glowing stone. Orange text in this case appears at Neophyte Priest, it's just a rock for a newly reincarnated champion.

Funereal (green text) weapons can be identified even by newly reincarnated champions.
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

I *know* that it is the Long Lost Wand, because I haven't got any other wand.

Now I think it hasn't lost any properties; I just assumed that I should be able to identify it when I can read the "GLOWING STONE" orange text, which was already possible at "craftsman" level. Now my priest level has risen to "artisan", and I can identify it as "unique" (yellow). I think at "craftsman" level appeared "cursed" (black).

Being to able to identify the stones, I wasn't talking about the trivial option (also available for other special items, but nonetheless level dependent, as not all actions are present for low levels, but not necessarily priest) by distinguishing them by their actions, I really can read orange text, but not all. So it seems that orange text can appear at different levels! If not, I would not see "GLOWING STONE" while I cannot yet read "THE LONG LOST WAND."

If not all orange texts are the same, I ask myself how the level is determined. It is obviously not tied to the coloured prooerties like "unique", if so, I were able to see the wand's text, because I now see its uniqueness.

I also wonder at which level "vampyric" (red) and "broken" (brown) can be seen. Perhaps the sequence is the same as the colour replacement if multiple properties are present?
Christoph
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The first wand I got was in an alcove in the Priests temple, well before I sought the Long Lost Wand. I know because I was able to break the Long Lost Wand puzzle with it. At Novice Priest the Long Lost Wand will have the "shield" action. Regular wands will only have "calm" and "heal".

As I stated before "glowing stone" orange text appears at Neophyte Priest. The Philosophal stone also shows up as "glowing stone" at this level. These appear to be exceptions.

I re-tested with a reincarnated Zed. At Apprentice Priest, The Philosophal stone and other items with orange text but without the "unique" property can be identified. At Craftsman, I was able to identify "cursed" items. At Artisan, the "unique" yellow text appears without the associated orange text. At Expert, the orange text associated with "unique" items appears. Finally at UM Master, red text and the white dialog text appear.
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

The orange text is more complicated than having just one exception. My Artisan Priest (and I think that worked already at least as a Craftsman) can see "ASHES", "RUST", "PHOSPHOFERRIC".

I'm astonished that items can have more than one orange text, that it can change with the level. The "PHILOSOPHAL STONE" hasn't got the "light" action for low level priests, has it?

I'm currently playing around with a "deathtrap dungeon" party, so I had to give up the "Thrombones" from one character (or is there a way around this?) and does it really have adverse effects if I ignore the warnings and visit the time machine to get replacement bones with only two champions? I've not seen any "dangerous ghosts" yet, just no champion names on two of the alcoves.
Christoph
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Christoph wrote: The orange text is more complicated than having just one exception. My Artisan Priest (and I think that worked already at least as a Craftsman) can see "ASHES", "RUST", "PHOSPHOFERRIC".

I'm astonished that items can have more than one orange text, that it can change with the level. The "PHILOSOPHAL STONE" hasn't got the "light" action for low level priests, has it?
You misinterpreted what I wrote. If an object has the "unique" property, you don't see the orange text associated with it until Expert. A Neophyte Priest can look at a true glowing stone and the Philosophal stone and will see "glowing stone" If you put a true glowing stone in your hand and you'll see a "light" action. If you put the Philosophal stone in your hand you'll see "transmute". There are two thorns with orange text, they are unique but don't have the "unique" yellow text property. Before Apprentice, they appear as thorns. After Apprentice, the orange text "imperviosity" and "lunatic fever" appears. So, stones are an exception to the Apprentice orange text filter. Similarly ashes and rust, both orange text, are visible at Neophyte, but all the rest of the dusts and powders don't have orange text until you get to Apprentice Priest (including Phosphoferric). I haven't found any other exceptions.

I've never explored the Deathtrap Dungeon, but the time machine bones are part of Gothmog's quest. If you aren't going to do his quest, or if you're going to chose Gothmog's unique ending, you can use them however you like.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

One of the cooler things I've seen in Conflux occurred in the Chest B Key area of the Apprentice Level. This puzzle (monster(s) on pad(s) opens door) is a classic in that DM,CSB,DM2, and every custom dungeon I've ever played implements it. Alpha worms are the given monster for this one and after getting a pair into the teleporter and onto the pad, I stopped to sleep to recover mana and from poisoning. When I woke my party, my light spell had expired, but one of my Champions was wearing the Shining so there was still a bit of ambient light. Much to my surprise, the eyes of the trapped Alpha worms were blinking back and forth. This is awesome in my book. Has anyone else seen this or something similar?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I finally finished CSB. I decided to go back to my Conflux 3 games, only to realize I've forgotten all the spells.
Luckily, the team had a fireball spell ready to go. Other than that, I'm probably on the fast road to depression.
Spoiler
(all that work, only to have no spells or potions at my disposal)
I looked around for awhile, hoping to find the spells somewhere.
Seems there was a way to unlock them, if, IF, you had acheived some real experience in gameplay.
Any help? :oops:
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Been a while. Healing
Spoiler
VI GOR
is the only one I can recall other than the fireball spell I'm afraid!

Some spells are found bu experimentation or finding the scrolls, only a couple like fireball actually needed the scroll aswell. And of course some spells are the same as their DM equivalents
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

MasterWuuf wrote:I looked around for awhile, hoping to find the spells somewhere.
Seems there was a way to unlock them, if, IF, you had acheived some real experience in gameplay.
Any help? :oops:
Spoiler
Ya Ven and Oh Ven (poison spells)
What Is Your Quest ?
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I have to agree with Joramun,
Spoiler
OH VEN
is one of the best spells in the game. In many cases it's more efficient than fireball.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I looked through some old game info files and found a document with all the spells on it.
Well, it may only be the wizard spells; I'll have to see.

I'd still be interested in knowing where I found them. :?:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

As far as spells go, the wiki is up to date. There are only a few classification errors, but that's really minor.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

I go back to this game every other year or so. It never gets boring. A few possible problems I've run into in the Wip004 version.

1. Soap and Water area is cleared but no passage opens up to the next area of the apprentice room.
2. All enemy and neutral projectiles explode. I have to really slow the game down in areas like the path past the group of four window leading to guild endings just to keep from dying with the Golem pushing me back in the poison cloud hall. I have to plant trees on the Vecna level and be extra quick closing doors with plasma in the Holy Armor area just to get by.
3. There is a solid wall blocking where I assume the Corbum piece goes to retrieve the funereal rapier.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Damn... I'll have to fix that. I'll let you know.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

4. Alcove with bow in storerooms disappeared at some point.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

1. Worked for me. Did you click on the eye?
2. EDIT: fixed for next version.
3. You have to have accessed the 4 guild leaders to remove the walls.
4. Send me a savegame showing it.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

1. Yes, clicked on the eye. I don't get the message keep scrubbing or whatever it says when there is more to do.
3. Oh, okay. That's a neat addition.
4. If your email isn't in your profile you might need to PM it to me. Don't know if I still have it.
5. Have been getting error messages in the Priest ending. Some freezing the game. Others not, but possibly affecting the game some other way. I can reproduce the error that doesn't freeze the game by destroying certain stone guardians in the frozen chambers area.
Kid_A
Apprentice

Post by Kid_A »

Where can I find older releases of Conflux ? (like Wip003 or others).

The Wip004 is still bugged (neutral projectiles bug).

Thank you.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The files are still there, just alter the link name
http://www.cyberskald.com/conflux/Conflux_WIP003.zip
Kid_A
Apprentice

Post by Kid_A »

Thank you Beowuuf ! :D
inanity2
Neophyte

Post by inanity2 »

Kid_A wrote:Where can I find older releases of Conflux ? (like Wip003 or others).
The Wip004 is still bugged (neutral projectiles bug).
Thank you.
beowuuf wrote:The files are still there, just alter the link name
http://www.cyberskald.com/conflux/Conflux_WIP003.zip
I downloaded WIP003, and it also has bugs - when I throw stuff it all explodes.
Christopher wrote:I go back to this game every other year or so. It never gets boring. A few possible problems I've run into in the Wip004 version.
[...]
2. All enemy and neutral projectiles explode. I have to really slow the game down in areas like the path past the group of four window leading to guild endings just to keep from dying with the Golem pushing me back in the poison cloud hall. I have to plant trees on the Vecna level and be extra quick closing doors with plasma in the Holy Armor area just to get by.
[...]
Zyx wrote: [...]
2. EDIT: fixed for next version.
[...]
Anyone know when the next version is coming out? I started a game in WIP004 and got pretty far before I understood it is not a stable version. I don't really want to try to finish the game if it's not meant to be played except by testers. What does WIP stand for? Work in progress?

I read somewhere that the last stable version is 3.8 beta or something? What's the difference between that and WIP 004? In the last stable version, can I still swap out my characters? If not, I'll wait for WIP to become stable.
inanity2
Neophyte

Post by inanity2 »

I just downloaded Conflux 3.5 Beta 8 which is supposed to be stable, and it also has the bug with the exploding throwables. I'm starting to think it's not really a bug?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Weird... I don't remember 3.5 beta 8 having this problem. I can upload the wip 005, which has the bug fixed.

Inanity, you can find a version history in the docs folder to trace back the main changes between versions.
Phoenix wrote:Much to my surprise, the eyes of the trapped Alpha worms were blinking back and forth. This is awesome in my book. Has anyone else seen this or something similar?
The alpha worms, if I remember correctly, have a subtle animation.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »