stuck in Reactor (spoiler)

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Unlucky_Mule
Novice

stuck in Reactor (spoiler)

Post by Unlucky_Mule »

Has anyone played Sophia's Reactor for RTC?

Great dungeon so far, but I am stuck now! I have searched everywhere for another key, but I cannot find one.

(I don't have access to the game from this computer, so please bear with me because this is from memory...)
- I do not have the winged key to get through the IR door.
- I do not have the solid key to get through the "no admittance" door.
- I spent an iron key on a lock beside a door, but it opened a passage to an alcove closeby on the left instead. I then broke down this door, killed the monsters behind it and saw the writing calling me a cheater. Why?
- Very nearby to this is another iron key door, to which I don't have the key.

I think maybe I made a mistake spending the iron key to open the alcove. Maybe I will start over. Can anyone else help or comment?

Thanks!
UM
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Hi Mule,

yes I have - look at the thread in the encyclopedia (dungeon upload area), there are several post that might help you. The only two things I can definitel answer (played it some time ago) are the "cheater" door (not supposed to get in there so if you break it down you are a "cheater ;o) - no deeper meaning) and on the keys - there are a lot of them and very many ways... explore every part of the dungeon carefully and look for new junctions you have not tried yet. You might even consider trying pits sometimes...

As far as I remember you cannot get stuck because of keys used in "wrong" places, so I'd suggest trying some more.

If there's any more questions, let me know or email directly to Sophia, she's been very helpful when I tried to beat the dungeon and got stuck.

Regards, PitD
Glorfindel
Novice

Post by Glorfindel »

Hello,

I am stuck in this dungeon too. I take the sar coin in the level three, use the teleporter but after ? No stairway and the doors are closed. I use pits, solve "garbage pit" puzzle, use iron key, search any item on the floor and falses walls but nothing.

Help me please :cry:
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Ok.. I've kind of lost track of things, as might be obvious... :oops:

Anyway, nice to see you all again. :D

I'll answer this question, though it's a bit late. Have you opened the wooden door, yet? There's a puzzle involving a small room with a pressure plate and an easily frightened mummy... or, if you're not feeling so inventive, there are other ways to get through wooden doors, even reinforced ones, you know what I mean.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Good to see you back, this is one of my favourite customs.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Why thank you :D

It's nothing compared to what I've got in the works now, though. :twisted:
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Excellent news, I guess a lot of uus are working away on new stuff!

Can't wait
Neilski
Novice

Original question from novice

Post by Neilski »

I know it was five years ago that novice asked the question of the missing key. Answer - to put it bluntly is don't bother with it it - only opens an alcove with boots of speed behind it. Fairly pointless as you need 4 sets of these to be worthwile with a party of 4. Excellent dungeon but am stuck as well myself. Not sure where as am completely lost somewhere deep!! (Near dragon).
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I'm really sorry that it has to be asking for help; but Reactor is just blowing my brain.

I've gotten both of the gems in their place, and I have the corbum; but I absolutely cannot find the key to open the mana well. I suspect the key may have something to do with the "Garbage Chute" puzzle way back at the beginning, but I'm not real sure if I ever solved it or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums Sealtiel! Always great to see new members here.

I'm afraid I cannot help you with Reactor as I never played it much. One question, though: Which version of RTC are you using? Reactor is a very old dungeon, I think it was compiled for RTC v0.23 (the current one as of this writing is 0.49). RTC should be backwards compatible, but I know that this is not true for Sophia's other dungeon Surgical Strike (and I know that her third dungeon, Dark Portal, suffered from this as well). So I just hope you are not stuck because of a compatibility problem, though it doesn't sound so.

Sorry for not being able to provide a satisfying answer, but I am sure Sophia herself will give you a hint soon enough. Enjoy your stay here and feel free to ask and post as much as you like!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

If you've gotten both gems, the compatibility issues can't be terrible. I hope.

As for the mana well, you need a topaz key to open it. There are three ways down to the bottom; two of them yield gems, the third gets you the topaz key.

To start on this path, you'll need to find another set of stairs down, near the slaughterhouse. Alternatively, jump down a pit and explore a bit.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I'm not real sure how to find out which version of RTC I'm running. Can you fill me in on how to find that please?

I'll go check out the area near the Slaughterhouse again, Sophia. Those incorporeal monsters that spawn on that floor love to gang up on me, though; so I'm not terribly comfortable there. Either way, I'll go look now; & I'll be sure to keep you filled in on my progress.

By the way, Sophia. I recently finished Surgical Strike, and it was a blast. I especially loved dragging my brutally injured party around trying desperately to find that first flask. Makes you be a lot more careful, & I like that. Thank you for a dungeon well-made! :D
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Sealtiel wrote:how to find out which version of RTC I'm running
It's the version number in the corner on the load/save dialog.
Sealtiel wrote:By the way, Sophia. I recently finished Surgical Strike, and it was a blast. I especially loved dragging my brutally injured party around trying desperately to find that first flask. Makes you be a lot more careful, & I like that. Thank you for a dungeon well-made! :D
And thank you for the compliments. :D

If enjoy dungeons that really stick it to you before they give you a flask, you might really enjoy Conflux. :shock:
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Thanks so much for the advice, I found the pit I needed to jump down to squash that unsuspecting mummy. I got the key, & now I finished Reactor. I had a lot of fun with this one, but looking back it seems kinda short.

I got the Stronghold of Xarostak & part 2 of it both downloaded, but I can't seem to get them to show up on my list of playable dungeons. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way. Apparently I'm running RTC v.046. Will I need to get the newest one (if there is a newer one) in order to play these dungeons?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The newest version of RTC is v0.49. In general, it is advised to have the newest version; however, with RTC, it is often the safest bet to play a dungeon with the version of RTC it was compiled for.

In the case of Xarostak, this should not be a problem, though, v0.49 should be fine. However, I wouldn't advise playing Xarostak 2 right now, there are still bugs and dead-ends in there that THOM promised to sort out. And if you love Shadowgate, you might want to try a different dungeon next anyway. :wink:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sorry for double post, but I just realized I didn't answer your problem about finding the dungeon yet. :shock:

Both of those dungeons are zipped, you have to unpack them first using Winzip (www.winzip.com). Then, you just need to put the .rtc files into the 'modules' folder of your RTC folder. That should do the trick.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

One step ahead of you there, Trantor. I already got Dark Portal working, which is odd since Xarostak & part 2 of it still won't show up on my list; despite both of the .rtc files being in my modules folder.

In any event, I'm having a blast in Dark Portal. I think I may be a tad bit stuck, but it's only been for about an hour or so; so I won't ask for help as of yet.

Also, I got the v.049 RTC downloaded; but will I lose my save files in the dungeons I've already been through if I use it? I put a lot of work into training some chars I used & I'd rather not lose them if possible.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!

The name of the dungeon in the list is not based on the file name, it is based on the name assigned by the dungeon designer. Is it possible they are just called 'dungeon' or something equally innocuous?

You can still play the same .rtc/.sav file pairs under the new engine - you might enounter problems if you use a save under a different engine/.rtc combination, but usually you are fine (I think)

You lose out if you play the basica dungeons through older versions as upgrades to the basic dungeons in the .rtc file will not appear in your .sav
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

In the case of Xarostak 1 and 2, they are called "Xarostak", so that name should be obvious enough. Did you scroll down to the end? I remember I didn't see the scroll arrow when I started playing RTC. If you did scroll down to the end and the dungeon is still not in the list, I have no clue what went wrong there, both dungeons certainly work for me.

Unlike Beo, I'm actually not so sure about the savegames, I think the savegames created in an older version of RTC is not compatible in a newer version. So if you started a dungeon in an older version and everything is fine there, I suggest continuing the dungeon with the old version, it is safer.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Thanks, both Trantor and Wuuf. The .rtc files in my module folder are simply xarostak.rtc & xarostak2.rtc. When I launch the RTC program, neither is on my list. I have the original DM, DM RTC, CSB, DM2, Theron's Quest (which crashes, by the way.) My friend tells me there's some music that plays at the beginning and it seems to crash when the music stops. Oh yeah, I also have Surgical Strike, Reactor, Dark Portal, and Sukumvit's Labyrinth 2.

The 2 xarostak dungeons simply aren't there. I'll try to re-download them & see if it's just a fluke incident. Also, Sophia mentioned a dungeon named Conflux. I see it on the list, but it's not in the RTC section, so will it & it's descendants work for RTC? The dungeon seems like it's pretty brutal, and I love a good challenge; so I appreciate any advice you can give.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Conflux is THE most brutal dungeon out there, Surgical Strike is a walk in the park compared to it. It was made for CSBWin, a different clone of Dungeon Master, and thus won't work with RTC. Still, you can simply download the whole Conflux package, it comes with its working CSBWin version as well.

There is a thread called "list of dungeons" stickied at the top of the Custom Dungeons forum, Conflux 3 will be there as well. Conflux 1 and 2 are not predecessors, but simply older versions of Conflux 3, so version 3 makes the others obsolete.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Thanks again, Trantor. I got Conflux 3 downloaded & ready to go, but I am dead tired from work and that's probably not the best way to start this dungeon. I'll be giving it a go tomorrow night & I'll be sure to let you know how I'm faring.

Wish me luck!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Saved games tent to play fine Trant, I have done it myself in new engines when that has been the only tweak
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ok, I'm probably mistaken, then. Please don't ban me again. :oops:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

:D
antraxus
Artisan

Re: stuck in Reactor (spoiler)

Post by antraxus »

Hi there folks, i started this one here and i have a question.
I m using 0.49 and i think i m stuck at the Pyrotechnics room.
i can throw items at the Teleporters and they get deflected correctly.
But it just wont work with the Fireballs.
Is that a conflict with the newer Version?
Can i blow the doors open with class 6 Fireballs myself if the triggered ones wont work? (Havent the needed Wizard lvl yet)

Any help would do.thx
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, I beleive there is some weirdness if you play with anything before 0/37 (something to do with ob_by). If you substitute the 0.49 for one of the earlier engine numbers (0.34 is the earliest) then see if that helps. Not sure if the save game will stil be readable though...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

antraxus wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:13 pm Hi there folks, i started this one here and i have a question.
I m using 0.49 and i think i m stuck at the Pyrotechnics room.
i can throw items at the Teleporters and they get deflected correctly.
But it just wont work with the Fireballs.
Is that a conflict with the newer Version?
Can i blow the doors open with class 6 Fireballs myself if the triggered ones wont work? (Havent the needed Wizard lvl yet)

Any help would do.thx
I had the same trouble. The teleporters don't want to direct fireballs where you want them. I tried with 3 versions of RTC: v.0.24, v.0.37 and v.0.49. None would direct the fireballs. My team were all good at casting, so I gave both doors a full power fireball. On we go.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
jahmiann
Artisan

Post by jahmiann »

Hi

According to last post of Reactor and the source file, hazes near the fireball thrower are bad, its reflect objects instead spells.

So one of the door (with trollin) can be access to another way, the second one can break using a full bomb having maximum power which can be found deeper.

Jahmiann.