[Custom dungeon] Nightkin [RTC] [Zed5Duke]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

[Custom dungeon] Nightkin [RTC] [Zed5Duke]

Post by Zed5Duke »

Version: V1.1 for RTC V0.49
Platform: RTC
Author: Zed5Duke
Date published: 2009, February 4
Date last updated: 2008, February 27

Notes:
Version 1.1
(already finished playtesting, everything ok)

Size: 3 levels
Dificulty: hard
Graphic: DM2 + many new stuff
(15 new monsters, over 50 new items, and some new scenery)
Story: Someone strike you in head and next day you wake up in small room..

At begining i have idea to made only one, but big and extremly dificulty level
But later i found its too small for my every new ideas so finally it have three levels
There is some brand new inventions, and game ending is totally surprising
Game have strongh combat part, but also contain adventure humor and puzzles

Download:
Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Last edited by Zed5Duke on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: [RTC] Nightkin

Post by ian_scho »

Zed5Duke wrote:Story: Someone strike you in head and next day you wake up in small room..
Sounds like how I got my current job!

One thing with zShare you should be aware of in the future:
> How long will my files be hosted on zSHARE?
> There is no time limit, but files not downloaded for more than 60 days are automatically deleted in order to keep our hard drives clean.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Zed5Duke: You must the most prolific dungeon creator ever! How many's that now? 6? 7?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

@Zed: Wow! I'd need days to be twice longer to be able to play all the dungeons you produce! :shock:

@ian_scho: I just wonder... may I ask you what is your current job? Or is it normal in Spain to get new employees like this? :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

You know Zed. I've never started off with a character with just 1 HP before. It took me 2 minutes to wonder why I was randomly dieing!... I'm ashamed to tell you that I can't get out of the small room!

Jan, current job is web developer - don't need windows, or light even. Just a monitor, keyboard, box thingy,...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Gonna give this one a blast now.

@Zed - do you have a "proper" job? :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe a little delayed, but DM.com link added
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Anyone gotten far in this dungeon? It's exceedingly hard, took me a while to get out of the first room but now I think I need to restart as I saved without realizing a pit appeared behind me with a monster on the other side. I like it so far though.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Go on, tell me how you got out! I tried clicking, punching, kicking, screaming, throwing, couldn't successfully cast any spells...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The little room right at the start? The scroll tells you EXACTLY what to do!
Earwig2112
Neophyte

Post by Earwig2112 »

OK, so I managed to explore all four corners, kill all the tissue and organ challenged denizens and get as far as decoding the messages on the walls. I'm obviously missing something obvious. But I will find it, or die trying...

You're an evil man Zed.

By the way, I'm STARVING!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Very interesting beginning !..
i found several messages :
Spoiler
T R A ? G O H
and
Spoiler
A L G
, opened the
Spoiler
hidden cell but that wasn't necessary because i had already found the translation rule
... i'm stuck too, can't pass the pit. any help ? by pm maybe ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Antman wrote:I think I need to restart as I saved without realizing a pit appeared behind me with a monster on the other side. I like it so far though.
I wasn't the only one then. I think you could maybe grab at least one loaf of bread without setting it off....
Earwig2112
Neophyte

Post by Earwig2112 »

ian_scho wrote:
I wasn't the only one then. I think you could maybe grab at least one loaf of bread without setting it off....
if you need to be well bred.. (sorry)
Spoiler
you can get 3 loaves if you stagger around
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

linflas wrote: i found several messages :
Spoiler
T R A ? G O H
To make progress you must find and understand every messages
In this example its:
Spoiler
TRAP = GOH so everytime you find GOH it mean its trap around
And some clue to food/water problem:
Spoiler
slime is consumable
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Hard but addictive - I like it :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

it is really a good dungeon, i reached the third level !
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hmmm.. can't find the third gold coin :(
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

First:
Spoiler
behind hook puzzle
Second:
Spoiler
small switch inside food room
Thrid:
Spoiler
south from hook puzzle, crack on wall near food room open secret small corridor with alcove
And important gem:
Spoiler
behind stone door
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks Zed, i finally completed NightKin ! :D
very addictive dungeon, especially at the beginning, i liked :
- crypted messages to translate : these were really helpful. i never felt lost for long moments.
- new objects, equipment
- clever design of levels and puzzles in only 3 levels !
- graphic work is very good, integration with DM2 wallset and skeletons.

8/10 ! i would put a 9 if there wasn't that low stamina boring issue. couldn't it be possible to increase the way it grows up ?
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Congratulations!

Amulets give small bonus to stamina (each item have inforamtion about armor and magic bonus)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Zed5Duke wrote:(each item have inforamtion about armor and magic bonus)
I liked that :)
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I'm on the second level and I like it so far !

There are "dead ends" but once you've got the message, it's not annoying, it's part of the fun.

Also, it's such a pain to gain levels (and stamina) that I don't see anyone resurrecting the additional characters and split xp gains !
Spoiler
I have some "bugs" in the translation code: no Y (maybe replace an unused letter by Y in the code), and the code letter (ful rune) is flipped on walls compared to the scroll
What Is Your Quest ?
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

There is no small Y letter, so its unvisible in few places.
Stamina is major problem it dont raise so qickly during experience as other stats. How you think is there any connection to Vitality and amount of HP gained per level? (or wisdom and mana amount) For what is vitality anyway?
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

If you do a search on Vitality you will see that what George has implemented in RTC may or may not be what was intended in the original game - in CSBWin it is an important stat for wizards so maybe more about Mana recovery than stamina (?)

Back to Nightkin - I didn't take any of the extra characters as they were all 1 hit point wonders and more mouths to feed with a limited food supply. I think I'm getting close to completing this dungeon - so far it's been really addictive :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

One gold coin, no moon. any hints? If it helps, I never found any other exit than death in the alternate area, and I have few items that are without water before there

Thoughts so far:
I found the solution to the initial room puzzle, the no stamina grind of fighting and collecting food and the overly punishing floor switches in the first area a complete turn off. I only kept playing the start because people like linflas and des have given such glowing reviews.

Certainly the monsters are amusing, the wall inscription hints clever, and so far the puzzles have been cool. The item descriptions add a nice element, and things like the vanishing invisible walls and consistent feel of the dungeon are very nice.

However, for me personally those two initial elements didn't let me enjoy or appreciate any of that. Since no one else has complained about the initial room solution, I guess it's just my playing style. I think a 'hint' saved game with that already partially solved might be nice thought.

As for stamina, I think if you had a starting value of 20ish you would still get the effect you want, without it being tedious to walk around the initial area.

Also, perhaps the floor switches could onyl inflict their punishment once?

Anyway, sadly just when I was starting to enjoy it, now I'm stuck! Maybe there's an area I haven't explored yet, or a switch I missed, maybe I'm being brain dead about what '25' means - tried the disable trap lever, but it was stuck. Maybe I have an obvious moon solution already, or I'm missing the death/water thing.

Anyway, will give a tour around again and await a hint from someone!
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

If you haven't got the
Spoiler
gold key
you won't have found the moon item yet. I nearly chucked away the Sun item.

25 is
Spoiler
the percentage chance of the pad closing the pit when an object lands on it. One of the gold coins involves a 20 per cent pad. One of the coins is right opposite a keyhole.
I thought the start was a good challenge - realising that you had to train up a bit to get through a corner damage tile knowing that you were severely limited by lack of food. Perhaps you could chuck the boulder around and cast stamina potions, or maybe rustle up some fireballs? Then when you get through to a corner lots of new problems arise....

Also, I found it very satisfying, after lots of luring skeletons into fireballs or onto damage tiles, that later in the game you can just stand there and smeg them :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I empited the fireball launcher pretty quickly - I had not thought the damage pads worked on the skeletons. Certainly, the one that initially drops you down a pit didn't trigger when the skeleton walked over it.

Thanks for the hints, I hadn't thought of it as a percentage chance, I thought it was a translation I would need later. I had assumed a count on the pad or a particular item needed when my initial throws did not work there.

Eh, I hate training as a gaming mechanic though, hence why I said I guessed my style of play was different.

I can't remember if i used the same game where I had simply rested to see if a gaoler came or not. If so, I had less food to behin with too.

I guess lots of things combined at the start so I felt more frustrated than challenged. Battling mutliple lesser monsters say with limited resources so you needed to use the environment, skill, and intelligent tactics would have been challenging, but somethign to overcome and then it's over. I found having to hack slowly at a monster, running away alot to recover stamina, then come back, all with the clock ticking more tedious than a challenge, and frustrating to use the meta game of opening a way and blowing all resouces just to see if that path was worth opening up, then restarting the game properly to know killing that critter got you that food item, etc then hoping the cost of makign the way safe didn't outway getting the item.

I think it really is just the low stamina, otherwise the progression of monsters and dropped items is nice, as is the puzzles and lay out.

Anyway, enjoying it better now (although I guess I will need to figure out the pad thing you were talking about now)

Edit: Oh, I could always get passed the barriers, I just meant that the lack of food meant that resting for mana and stamina restoration used up your time, and so having the constant drain on them from the environment was an additional niggle.

I think the monsters are balanced well enough that by the end of the lower level I could stand toe to toe with the skeletons for a limited time and heal if needed - I think I needed it once when I was low on stamina and health and didn't want to retreat back through a barrier - so used mana for health potion not stamina and stayed on the skeleton side of the barrier!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

My bad, there was an entire tunnel bit I hadn't finished going down - I am very bad at mapping in my head.

Onwards!
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Stuck !
Spoiler
II'm on a second floor, I have no keys, no way to go, I have opened all button-doors and smashed everything in the way.
Spoiler
I clicked the button not to be clicked, is it a game-stopping trap ?
Spoiler
if yes, I will not play this dungeon ever again, because I have no savegame.
I won't redo all the first floor just for one little "experiment", that's too much punishment

Anyway, I liked what I saw so far
Spoiler
(last thing i did was death gate)
What Is Your Quest ?