nightmare dungeon needs testing

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
meynaf
Novice

nightmare dungeon needs testing

Post by meynaf »

[ This dungeon is part of Meynaf's 'Dungeon Master Custom Dungeons' at http://meynaf.free.fr/pr/index_en.html ]

Hi all,

Just for all of you hardcore dungeoneers, I have made a nasty custom dungeon.
Yet unfinished, but a good challenge for even the best players.

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)

Discussion: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49830

But, before getting it, please note that :
1. it'll require an Amiga with 68020+ and OS 3.x (even the code is custom !) - works on UAE too
2. it is VERY difficult and not meant for beginners.
3. it needs some feedback before I'll finish it (did I make awful design mistakes ?)

Please tell me whatever you find is incorrect, as there might still be many bugs (please provide a saved game if possible, or, if you can't, tell me where you were and what you were doing).
If the program aborts with a cryptic error message, tell it too ;-)

And, whatever happens, I'll like you to tell me the story of what experience you had in that dangerous place. Say, things like where you've gone, what objects you found (important for objects such as keys), how you got killed, and so on...

If you like *very* difficult, non-linear dungeons, then that one's for you.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: nightmare dungeon needs testing

Post by beowuuf »

Hey!

I think one thing you may need to quantify 'difficult' for some people - are monsters harder because they are sacks of hit points and you have no stamina? That's not actually fun. If monsters and situations are harder because of restricted area that requires tactics, then that's cool!

Is there any specific version of UAE required?
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

Monsters aren't sacks of hit points ; they have the standard of their species. However, they may be a little bit too numerous...

Champions have their original DM1 values and inventories, so they're probably unable to fight these lots of monsters until trained and equipped.

The tactics here are to constantly escape monsters, and try to find a suitable area where to gain a few levels. This makes its originality : you'll meet many monsters and NOT fight them (or you'll die very soon).

Please note that, even though I am not really a die hard, I'm able to win the game anyway.

Try it and tell me what you think, I'm not pretending this dungeon is perfect or whatever.

As for UAE, no particular version is required, but you may wish to disable joystick emulation and activate JIT.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Dancing with lower hp mobs is better than large hp singles :)

Not a fan of training for the sake of it,have no problem with needing to find a low level area to do, ganig levels in the process

Will try to try it out at the weekend!
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

So, how's your dance with the mobs going ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It didn't, I couldn't get the amiga compression file decompressed I'm afraid, then ran out of time at the weekend :(

What's the best way to extract it? A site said cabextract, but I ran out of pateince and time fighting with my dos window whining all resources were used up
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

You can search for an unlzx program. There is also an lzx plugin for Total Commander.
Or you can decrunch it from within the emulation with the regular Amiga lzx program.
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

Hello, anybody there ???
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, never got back to finding the programme, been busy over the weekends!
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

Ok, I thought you were just dead in the dungeon ;-)
(or still couldn't run it !)
Thorham
Apprentice

Post by Thorham »

Hi,

For everyone who doesn't have an Amiga, I've made an ADF file for WinUae which contains meynafs nightmare dungeon and his modified Dungeon Master version. However, I can't seem to upload it anywhere. Can this be solved somehow?
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

Any news in here ?
If you dropped the idea of playing this, please at least tell me where you got blocked !
Anyway, I have another dungeon project which is less difficult. I grouped them in the same archive.
See there :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49830

Old download link I gave here is broken, so don't try it.
Thorham
Apprentice

Post by Thorham »

meynaf wrote:Any news in here ?
Yeah, that's what I want to know as well. Anyone tried this dungeon? I have (I have an Amiga), and it's very, very tough, but oodles of fun to play.

Come guys, you're not going to tell me that none of you have an Amiga or a suitable WinUae setup?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Time. Always time :(
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

Anyway my modified program is listed in the "clones" area of dmweb.free.fr (dm encyclopedia) now.