[RTC] Final Escape

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gronwold
Novice

[RTC] Final Escape

Post by Gronwold »

Just finished testing a new dungeon!

Background: You discover a new dungeon, but after travelling only a short distance, you are ambushed by a horde of mummies, and imprisoned. You awake in your cell...

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)

One hint - at the beginning, be patient... :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: [RTC] Final Escape

Post by Jan »

Oh, cool, new dungeon, thanks! :)

I'm now at the "time remaining" section. The dungeon looks good so far, I only have annoying problems with permanently low stamina. :(
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

great dungeon ! time remaining is a really looooong and frustrating section. i play with one character only ! but now i have enough mana and vi potions to progress. this dungeon is very "distorted", you have to go back to previous places several times to solve puzzles and you get lost often.
actually one room is really hard to go into, i really cannot progress easily because
Spoiler
wasps and antmen
are generating to fast.

Edit : ahh... i should have picked 4 characters to get more "power". should i have to restart from the beginning and pick them all or is it not necessary ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gronwold
Novice

Post by Gronwold »

I wanted to try something different from the previous dungeon, so
Spoiler
the dungeon is not linear (i.e. you have to go back with things discovered to complete it) and some of the puzzles are harder (you need to be quite good at observing patterns!).
With regards to the characters,
Spoiler
you don't need four, but I liked the idea of nurturing weaker characters. I found by the time the main character got to the extra characters, he was much stronger.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Sorry Gronwold aren't enjoying this one as much as your first one. I think you have gone over the top with regnerating monsters, coupled with the fact that there is insufficient food. In the words of Dragons Den - I'm out!
Gronwold
Novice

Post by Gronwold »

the master wrote:Sorry Gronwold aren't enjoying this one as much as your first one. I think you have gone over the top with regnerating monsters, coupled with the fact that there is insufficient food. In the words of Dragons Den - I'm out!
Sorry if you aren't enjoying this one as much - However, if you are in the room with the regenerating monsters,
Spoiler
then you are at the hardest bit of the dungeon. Clues as to how to complete this section are given in the later levels, and if you don't work out what to do, you will likely die.
The reason why there are so many regenerators is
Spoiler
that to complete that level you have to step on the pressure pads in order (using clues found in scrolls). Most of the regenerators are on the incorrect routes and is basically a strategy to force people on further in the dungeon before stopping at this level.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

the master wrote:there is insufficient food
This problem is solved later
Spoiler
once you reach the level that starts with the worms - but I almost starved to death too, I was actually dying on starvation by the time when I killed the first worm
:roll: . And the problem with stamina is better now, too.

The dungeon is really very non-linear with many very interesting and head-scratching puzzles. I'm more or less lost and don't know exactly what to do, but I really like it! Excellent! :D
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

hello gronwold i have to test your Dungeon, and I find qu' there are far too many monsters and not enough of food
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

So I'm slowly progressing in this game. I still have more questions than answers, but one crucial comes into my mind right now - about the "Power of Luck". It turned my
Spoiler
rabbit foot
into
Spoiler
rust
. Is it good or bad?
Gronwold
Novice

Post by Gronwold »

Jan wrote:So I'm slowly progressing in this game. I still have more questions than answers, but one crucial comes into my mind right now - about the "Power of Luck". It turned my
Spoiler
rabbit foot
into
Spoiler
rust
. Is it good or bad?
It is one of the 4 'Powers' that when put into the appropriate alcoves
Spoiler
will activate a teleporter (the dirty ring in the floor with 4 shooter holes pointing at it).
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, OK - so I'm afraid that the game is much more complex than I've originally thought! I've seen much of the stuff, but I don't seem to comprehend it:

1. Out of the 6
Spoiler
scrolls
mentioned somewhere at the beginning, I've found only 4.

2. I don't know what the
Spoiler
Power of Life
is.

3. Out of the 4
Spoiler
Power alcoves
you mentioned I found only two (
Spoiler
Luck and Life
).
(the
Spoiler
Power of Four
area reminds me the entrance to the Lodge in Twin Peaks, lol)

4. I have absolutely no idea how to solve the large hall with the pads behind the fireballs.

5. Out of the
Spoiler
four mirrors
I presume I need in the
Spoiler
Lair
I found only two - and don't ask me where.

6. I don't seem to have a
Spoiler
gold key
for the keyhole without a door somewhere up.

So, as you can see, I'm pretty stuck right now. But don't tell me anything (yet). :) I'll try to go through the dungeon once again and perhaps I'll find something. Maybe I've overlooked something in the Time remaning hall or in the hall with pads behind the fireballs.
Gronwold
Novice

Post by Gronwold »

Jan wrote:Oh, OK - so I'm afraid that the game is much more complex than I've originally thought! I've seen much of the stuff, but I don't seem to comprehend it:

1. Out of the 6
Spoiler
scrolls
mentioned somewhere at the beginning, I've found only 4.

2. I don't know what the
Spoiler
Power of Life
is.

3. Out of the 4
Spoiler
Power alcoves
you mentioned I found only two (
Spoiler
Luck and Life
).
(the
Spoiler
Power of Four
area reminds me the entrance to the Lodge in Twin Peaks, lol)

4. I have absolutely no idea how to solve the large hall with the pads behind the fireballs.

5. Out of the
Spoiler
four mirrors
I presume I need in the
Spoiler
Lair
I found only two - and don't ask me where.

6. I don't seem to have a
Spoiler
gold key
for the keyhole without a door somewhere up.

So, as you can see, I'm pretty stuck right now. But don't tell me anything (yet). :) I'll try to go through the dungeon once again and perhaps I'll find something. Maybe I've overlooked something in the Time remaning hall or in the hall with pads behind the fireballs.
Thought I would add this to help you should your willpower run out!

1. 6 scrolls are:
Spoiler
On top floor (with the electric floor) on a wooden table
Spoiler
On second floor (the one with Shaniah's lair) at the end of a corridor with a load of pits
Spoiler
On second floor (the one with Shaniah's lair) at the end of the long corridor before the stairs up
Spoiler
2 in Secret room got to through the dark ring on the floor (need to complete the power riddle to get there!)
Spoiler
On floor with the 30 second time room, at the end of a short corridor in an alcove
2. The Power of life is
Spoiler
a bone that is dropped by the first Oitu that you kill on the level with the worms. If you forgot where he was, if you go to the level with the fireballs and the monster generators, go up the set of stairs, and turn left. Keep going in that direction until you get to a wood door. The spider was on the other side of that door. Note - the room also contains(contained) a blue gem, a blue mirror and a drain in the floor.
3. The four power alcoves:
Spoiler
are all found on the other side of the wall as the fireball holes. Only one of them is hidden, but can be found behind a false wall fairly easily when you map the floor.
4. The large room with the pressure pads:
Spoiler
Very hard - this was designed to be the final level before meeting the 'Shaniah'! You need to have worked out the code from the 6 scrolls. When you get to a pressure pad, the wall indicates two directions - left and right - with different symbols. If you have managed to re-assemble the code from the scrolls, when you follow the trail a secret area will open up.
5. The four mirrors: -
Spoiler
The first two are in the open, and will be the ones you have found. The last two are in secret areas, go to through the dark circle and the pressure pad room.
6. The gold key is
Spoiler
on Shaniah (the eye). However, until you have disabled the generator with the mirrors he is practically invincible.
Phew! I think in trying to create harder puzzles and remove the linear aspect to the play, I may have made it too hard! :oops:
Still, lessons learnt and all that.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Willpower? What willpower? :lol:

I looked at the solutions - especially because I'll have some time to continue in the game only next weekend - and it really made me :oops: ! Some solutions are pretty obvious - especially the
Spoiler
Power of Life

I carried the
Spoiler
bone
for some time (it's easy to overlook) but then left it somewhere - because I'm playing with one character only and I don't have enough space in my inventory (a chest would be great, by the way), and I thought there's no use for it (like in many dungeons made by Zed for us - he's got plenty of useless bones in there). Now I'll have to search through the whole dungeon - it's not going to be easy. My fault. I should pile all the things I don't carry in one place. :wink:

I didn't find the two other
Spoiler
Power alcoves
, and it was my problem - as you said, one is
Spoiler
hidden
, so I'll find it, but where's the last one, it really makes me scratch my head. Perhaps I'm not so good at playing dungeons. :roll: I'll have to map that level, and this is going to be very slow. :wink:

The game is hard, but it's very good, and I really like it! The hard puzzles and non-linearity is definitely not a problem! :) The only problem might be that some vital things (as you wrote) are hidden behind fake walls. I noticed the same thing in your previous game too (there it was this crown-or-whatever + a coin and one of the gems, if I remember well). Personally, I (together with some other people) don't like this feature - it's kind of "unfair" because in this way you make the player to click every single wall in the dungeon - for me it's a bit annoying. But it's a matter of a personal opinion and as I said, your dungeon is really excellent otherwise! :D