Dungeon Master Chronicles

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kesa
Journeyman

Dungeon Master Chronicles

Post by Kesa »

Welcome to DM-Chronicles,

First off I recently got into RTC editing, but already hooked and cant stop working on my project DM-Chronicles. Below I have labled information about the game and hope once it is finished it will be a fun game for all to enjoy. The game is not meant to really be hard core in story or puzzles, but it will have both reguardless.

Story Summary
-----------------------------------------------------
The story is about the 5 crystals of the world that have become unstable and need warriors to come forth to return the crystals to their balance state. Because the crystals lost balance the world has been engulfed by monsters raising havoc on the lands, if the crystals are not restored to their balance the world will be consumed leaving nothing but dust particles in space and time.

Basic Information
----------------------------------------------------------
The game will start out partyless, you will get to choose your warriors from the crystalist chambers (DM style mirrors with warriors). All the avatars used are from final fantasy and share the same look and feel so nothing is out of whack in graphics. After selecting your team you move further into the dungeon which seems like DM style at first but the graphics will take a huge turn once you go further into the game. There isnt all dungeon in this game, you go from the chambers to caverns to forest area to palace like places. The graphics were all used from DM, DM2 EOTB series and will hold customized feel, monsters to items have been cloned with different effects and feel so it isnt just another DM your walking into.
Last edited by Kesa on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 13 times in total.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles (under-construction)

Post by ian_scho »

Hey good luck with this one. I like how you've presented your work... People can spend hundreds of hours on these things but then forget to sell it to the end users!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Indeed, a nice presentation. Looks like you got enough love for it to finish it. Gogogo!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I'm really looking forward to playing your dungeon! Keep us informed on your progress! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Looks prettyful! Keep us up to date, I look forward to it.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I like your usage of EOB marble walls, looks pretty well adapted to the different DM perspective.

That orange DM2 cave wall set is getting as overused as the original DM walls though. Perhaps you could try recolouring them to make them look a little more unique? I mean, a lot of custom dungeons have used them and as a result, they all are starting to look and feel the same.
Kesa
Journeyman

Post by Kesa »

Gambit37 wrote:I like your usage of EOB marble walls though, looks pretty well adapted to the different DM perspective.

That orange DM2 cave wall set is getting as overused as the original DM walls though. Perhaps you could try recolouring them to make them look a little more unique? I mean, a lot of custom dungeons have used them and as a result, they all are starting to look and feel the same.
Thank you for that information, I can look into editing, modding, or just plain ol changing the cavern look. I havent really played many of the custom dungeons so I had no idea it was over used.

UPDATE: Decided to go final fantasy style for potions and spells. Such items as:

-Potions : restore health
-antidote : cures poison
-phoenix downs : raises party

Some new spells will be added over time like Protect, shell, fire, ice, bolt, etc etc.

Has anyone even though to use final fantasy style? That would be kewl if I was the first.

Dungeon Progress
-------------------------------------------------------
-Starting Map completed
-Cavern/Mines completed
-Ruins completed
-Forest Path completed
-Palace B1 completed

-working on Palace B2
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Kes looks really great and look forward to playing it. Recognise some wallsets from other games.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

nice work on alcove, it fits perfectly.
about the cave wallset, i also tried to improve it a bit in high res but it still looks *too* DM2.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Kesa
Journeyman

Post by Kesa »

Changed the caverns wallset to something more different. Either it came from eotb series or hack or something I could find online in resources. Also in the Palace dungeon will have webs you have to break or burn to pass them.

Dungeon Progress
-Starting Map completed
-Cavern/Mines completed
-Ruins completed
-Forest Path completed
-Palace B1 completed
-Palace B2 completed

-working on Palace B3
Kesa
Journeyman

Post by Kesa »

Got a lot done yesterday, added more maps, changed the first floor where you start out to look better, and got some new items added. Decided to add some teleport puzzles, but nothing severely crazy, I am not that good with puzzle making sadly so it wont be that great just a pain.

Some new spells came into play also that you will actually use throughout the game like create water, restore crystals, haste, cura, warp (only works when your in danger), raise dead (thought that be nice to have so I dont have to make 10+ different matching alcove vi altars).

Since I cant really do major events best I came up with is to restore the crystals using a spell. Not the worst idea, but its something different I hope...

Dungeon Progress - UPDATED
-Starting Map completed
-Cavern/Mines completed
-Ruins completed
-Forest Path completed
-Palace B1 completed
-Palace B2 completed
-Forest Path 2 completed
-Umaria Cavern completed
-Umaria Cavern f2 completed
-Umaria Cavern f3 completed
-Umaria Cavern f4 completed

-working on Skyway passage
Kesa
Journeyman

Post by Kesa »

It's getting closer to completion day by day. I only hope it turns out decent in gameplay since I am still new to RTC editor.

Do you think 23+ maps is too much or is it a good number? I am thinking the longer it is the better since it gives time to grind out levels so your not a pure weakling as you beat the game in a day.

With all crystals accounted for so far all that is left is the crystal core's location and events + final boss.

Do you think I am going too fast in making this? I pretty much spend all day and night working on this, not like I have much else to do at the moment.

Dungeon Progress - UPDATED - TOTAL: 23 Maps and counting
-Starting Map completed
-Cavern/Mines completed
-Ruins completed
-Forest Path completed
-Palace completed
-Forest Path 2 completed
-Umaria Cavern completed
-Skyway passage completed
-Wind Shrine completed
-Lazeran Forest completed
-Lunic Ruins completed

-working on Fire Temple
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

There are some pretty fast dungeon makers here, like Zed5Duke, who must have a whole assembly line for a mass production of dungeons, more or less making a dungeon per month. Usually, people don't have much time here to work on their own dungeons, so we get about one new dungeon per month in total (excluding Zed, of course :wink: ). Some people, like myself, haven't yet been able to finish a single dungeon in their life. But if you have enough time and ideas, there would be no wonder if you finished your dungeon in, say, weeks.

If I may give you some advice, try to find a betatester or two among the people on the forums, who'll test the dungeon for you and find possible errors, dead-ends, etc., before you release it to the "public". I'd volunteer, but currently I'm pretty busy at work and can't devote too much time for this except "casual" gaming from time to time.

With 23 maps you mean 23 levels? Wow, it's quite a lot! :)
Kesa
Journeyman

Post by Kesa »

well each level is either a new map or level in the dungeon. I didnt want it to be completely like DM where its all 1 dungeon you crawl down/up

Yea I been thinking about Beta testing soon as I complete the game, hopefully that wont take long, but with a big dungeon game I am sure it might take some time to test out, even though I been testing it slightly on maps and graphics with teleporters taking me through areas without mobs lol
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Kes wrote:I pretty much spend all day and night working on this
Well, that's pretty much the difference right there. I get about 1 hour a week maximum at the moment to work on my own projects. No wonder people can churn out stuff so quickly if they don't have any other responsibilities ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, remember when we used to have that time? Those were the days. Seems we squandered it . Ok, ok, I still have some time to myself, hence the running D&D game, Still, I seem to just lose time like anything!

perhaps I can free myself up to play the backlog of dungeons in time to get to this one. Looks cool from the screens, keep it up!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's a truism that youth is wasted on the young.
Kesa
Journeyman

Post by Kesa »

gah I miss my youth when I could run faster, farther and healthier. Ah the good ol years, back when I had a life, now I am just an old girl wanting a life outside my house lol.

I wonder how many girls make dungeons here other then myself? It's gotta be more and more these days, else I am gonna be sad...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

One makes engines instead, though there are a few good dungeons done in times passed, and the other two prominent ones in the community builds worlds in D&D instead! :)
Kesa
Journeyman

Post by Kesa »

beowuuf wrote:One makes engines instead, though there are a few good dungeons done in times passed, and the other two prominent ones in the community builds worlds in D&D instead! :)
That is great to hear, glad my dungeon wont be a the only female's work around here ^.^

Woo just got great idea for the final dungeon, its gonna be kewl! Rooms to match each crystal ya ya, the horrors of those dungeons come back to haunt you all muhahahahahaha.

Ok maybe not, but I like the idea of the crystal core being apart of all 4 crystals as well as the dungeon itself being built of separate areas to match. Get the keys for each element ya ya.

*goes into dungeon mode*
Kesa
Journeyman

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles (Beta-Testing)

Post by Kesa »

I am almost finished with the dungeon and will be needing several beta testers to help me play through and find any errors, bugs, glitches, graphics mixups, etc before the dungeon is released to the public.

If you are interested in joining the beta testers please reply with who you are and how many hours a day you can test the dungeon out.

Thank you ^.^
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles (Beta-Testing)

Post by Jan »

Several times I've promised to beta-test a dungeon and then failed because of the lack of time - and thus also disappointed the creators. So I can't promise anything - if you send me your dungeon, I can merely "look at it" from time to time, but this is not going to be a serious beta-testing. It might also take weeks, if not months. On the other hand, I'm well known for my lack of skills and general gaming stupidity, so this would be a good test whether your dungeon is fool-proof. I act as a lowest common denominator - if I don't screw it up, nobody will. I'm good in revealing dead-ends (and then saving my game in them and then starting all over again). :)

I'll PM you my e-mail address so that you can send me your dungeon once you're finished. But as I said, I strongly recommend to find a serious person for beta-testing.
Kesa
Journeyman

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles (NEED Beta-Testing)

Post by Kesa »

Those who wish to beta test my dungeon can PM me and I be happy to send you a link to help test the game out. So far we need more testers as 2 is not enough.

If mega-uploads is not a good download source please let me know a better one that is free and I will use that.

While testing is under way some graphics may be modified further for a better feel ^.^
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

This forum isn't that big Kes. With two testers you even got luck, because most members are busy with own things and then - it's spring for the most of us and we enjoy that too. Us old ones never know... ;)
But that shouldn't stop your enthusiathm. For that you'll get a bit of family feeling here.
Kesa
Journeyman

Post by Kesa »

This game had bugs and fixes needed, but due to learning DSB I havent time to fix all the floors in this dungeon, therefore it will be remaded in DSB later in the future when I better learn how to use it. Sorry everyone ; _ ; meow
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles (cancelled)

Post by beowuuf »

Awwwwww!

Joramund did make an RTC to DSB converter for DSB, I forget how good is was (I'm sure we've even had this conversation recently on the forums)
Kesa
Journeyman

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles (cancelled)

Post by Kesa »

ok this game is now uncancelled, I got a lot of message about this and decided if it means that much to everyone I will get the fixes up before I fiddle with dsb much more.

So sorry about the spook everyone ; _ ;
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles (un-cancelled)

Post by Sophia »

Good that it's un-canceled! It seemed a shame to have done so much and not release it. :)
(Even if you've now changed platforms ;) )
Kesa
Journeyman

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles (un-cancelled)

Post by Kesa »

Now I have a whole new download for the beta testers, please PM me for the new link else you can not get past the Shrine where the Drow live.
glecko
Craftsman

Re: Dungeon Master Chronicles

Post by glecko »

Looks like I.m late to the party again. I like the dungeon. I am quite far along and have a couple observations. The screamers make food a little too easy. There is also a little too much clothing etc. I have an all male party. I think alot of guys do all male parties. There is quite a lot of female clothing. I think all characters should be outfitted in unisex stuff. A very small quibble. Fun dungeon!