The Hand of the Gods + New mechanics

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Mindstone
Adept

The Hand of the Gods + New mechanics

Post by Mindstone »

Helllllo everyone =)

I'm starting on a new, typically morally ambigious storyline dungeon, with hopefully new mechanics!

The first is that all of your party start the game as Archmaster wizards with no mana. This means that to cast spells, you need to have a staff or wand in your hand, and will make magical talismans immensely useful, as opposed to a mana boost.

The second mechanic is the introduction of a party member who is...a Giant! She is going to be extremely powerful, but only useable for certain sections of the game. I will need help finding out how to add and subtract her from the game.

I want to do summonable magic weapons that are of extremely limited use. Can anyone help me with this?

I want to add a function like Charisma in D&D, where you can convert certain monsters to your side.

Also, I want to add friendly 'monsters' who fight enemy monsters. I just realized this instant that I could use DM2 attack minions with new sprites for this :D

Watch this thread space dear dungeoneers ^_^
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: The Hand of the Gods + New mechanics

Post by Gambit37 »

Sounds like fun! What engine will you be using?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey!

For RTC, there is amirror swap mechanic, right? And I think you can query if a party member is in the party, so this should be able to be done. While party member is in the party, you can have many wacky actuators go off.

You can tune magic spells, and you can have lifetimes attached to items, though not sure how long they would be.

You can increment and decrement and add specific values to coutners now, so you could store values on a timer forthe party charaisma and query it at key points. Perhaps have all instances of a mosnter replaced by a different monster.

Note that with some DSA coding you could do lots of this under CSBwin. And Sophia's DSB should be powerful enough to do all this too, throug lua coding.
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

lol, I'm too inept for coding =P I can only point and click and do stories and funnies! I use RTC. Do you think it is the best engine to use for a dungeon heavy in alternative graphics?

Some original monsters:

Skeleton Magi:

Skeleton Magi are the ministers of the Gods. Unlike the Skull Legions who surrender nine of their ten souls to the gods and are submerged beneath their will, the Skeleton Magi are given a semblance of power and control over their actions. These powerful mortals will assist you by providing you with potions and the occasional magical item from the Godforges.

Red Miners:

Red Miners are the worst enemies of the Gods. They are fierce warriors who will do anything they can to undermine the Divine Authority. The Red Miners hate nothing more than obeying hierarchies and seeing weakness in their fellows; they will exalt all underlings to revolt if they are not put down with divine violence, and made a brutal example of.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow, it looks great! The Skelton Magi looks fantastic. The Red Miner looks cool, too, but maybe a little " :shock: " - his eyes (and mouth) are maybe too wide open. Anyway, I'm looking forward to more creatures - and for the whole dungeon, of course! :D
DMDM wrote:I use RTC. Do you think it is the best engine to use for a dungeon heavy in alternative graphics?
Yes. I think.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I like the skellie, but the miner looks like someone has inserted something into him from behind! Do something with those eyes ;-)

RTC is very good for graphics replacement, but it becomes very unwieldy when you start adding lots due to the strange arrangement of images by their size. DSB offers no point-and-click interface for managing images, but it's arguably easier in some ways because you're just typing file paths into LUA files. It actually allows you to be as organised or disorganised as you like.
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Gambit37 wrote:I like the skellie, but the miner looks like someone has inserted something into him from behind! Do something with those eyes ;-)
Tell ya what Gambit mate, you'd be after any form of entertainment possible if you were stuck down a bleeding mineshaft all day =P

I'm actually going to start from scratch and animate EVERYTHING originally - walls, monsters, weapons, everything. The problem with this plan is that my animation skills leaves much to be desired, so I need all the advice I can get.

She Giant:

Standing roughly twice the height of an ordinary human warrior, and many times as heavy, the She-Giants are created by the combined wills of a league of crones. They voluntarily serve as a loyal guard to their creators. She Giants are immensely strong, but slow and easily out-maneouvred. Each She Giant is immensely intelligent and capable, possessing a unique personality, and a scathingly emasculating wit - as a result, these powerful women are also capable of manipulating the flow of possibility magic and can rouse hordes to battle. She probably won't squish your party provided you don't piss her off!