AndyBoy's RTC Editor: general discussion

Use this forum to discuss additional RTC utilities (other dungeon editors, graphics generators etc).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

AndyBoy's RTC Editor: general discussion

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Do you have any version going yet or are you waiting for a sufficient number of requests until the first one is deployed?

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How long have you got? Have hundreds of ideas! At work right now, so won't post them al, but my main question is: Will it support right click menus? I hope so, because that's something I find the most useful out of all windows apps, and it'd be very useful to just right click a tile and get a context-sensitive menu that allows you to modify/edit everything on that tile...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

And how far do you want to go? For example, including cloning monsters or objects? ;)

Regards, PitD
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

The cloning of monsters and objects is already handled by the objectVaultUser :)

You would create a MONSTER_MINE.txt file in the user obejct vault and assign its properties (like images and stuff) and then you could add it to any dungeons you make with the editor from then on.

You could in theory post these as patches or add-ins to the editor with gfx so other people could use you're cloned monsters :)

I wont lie, its not been easy to follow GG's awesome RTC engine structure, but I think I have covered it as best I can. Amendments can always be made

The version I have going at the moment is framework only, the map editor I could release as a quick and dirty dungeon layout, but with none of the object supports, I wanted to get a bit more in it before a first beta. I will look at the right - click menu's . The guiLib I am using is not my code, but Im sure it supports this. I will check and get back to you, but yes, if it does, I can put the RMB Menus in :)

Can you make it clear where one feature ends and another begins in youre posts.

The idea of this editor is that it covers everything at least in a basic sense.

So guys Post away:-
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Andy, if you're really serious about this, and want lots of input and discussions, it might be an idea for us to create a new forum: RTC Editor Development. It might be worthwhile keeping editor discussions separate from the other editing questions.

In this way, it means it would be easier for people to make one suggestion per thread which can then be discussed in detail, and won't clog up the other forums.

What do people think?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Im cool with that one gambit, then it could be one post per suggestion/bug.

Cows: what do you think mate?

and I am serious about this. At very least I will get it as far as I can, and if I dont continue to the end I will release the sourcecode so someone else can carry it on, how does that sound?
Regards,

Andy
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

That sounds superb, good luck with the endeavour.
What are you using to code it?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Blitzbasic

www.blitzbasic.com

Fantastic language for this sort of thing, because it handles graphics a treat and is so rapid to develop direct x apps for and is fast when you compile it...

I considered doing it in c#.NET using the managed DirectX9 interface, but then people would need the .NET framework on their machines (and thats about 20 meg or something) where as a blitz app is a standalone app and doesnt need any DLL's or anything, just needs direct X.

Also, I have never got very far with DX SDK in C++, so that was out from the beginning.

I think for an app this size blitz is going to be the perfect little tool for the job.

@Gambit: When do you become ARCH MASTER? you have over 1000 posts now.
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

new forum section.. well I dunno.. hmm. OFCOURSE!! This is a thread that will likley grow and grow otherwise.. I don't know about you but sifting through 1000 or so replies in one thread will be a bit tedious. if it has it's own section, well we can then go by this bug, that update etc with only 1 or two pages each.. not 800 pages :) See what I mean?

Oh BTW, I might have some interface stuff for you later today ;) If I can find the time that is... gah!!

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

All done! :-)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ooh, my own little forum, thanks cows,
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, you'll notice I also moved the other editor related posts here too. I've locked some of them off as there's no point adding to them, but everything else that was previously discussed should be available in this forum.

If any moderators notice other RTC editor related posts in other forums, please move them here. Keeps everything nice and neat!

Andy, I split your original post from the replies: it makes sense to keep that as a stand-alone announcement I think.