RTCED Editor Development?

Use this forum to discuss additional RTC utilities (other dungeon editors, graphics generators etc).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
L!ghthouse
Craftsman

RTCED Editor Development?

Post by L!ghthouse »

Hey, I just wanted to get an update on how RTC DM Editor is coming. The last post about it is all the way back from the beginning of the month.

Will the editor save as a .txt file, or will it be compiled directly into an .rtc file?

Is it going to include the abbility to import new bitmaps, or is that a feature farther down the road?

Can we get a copy of the beta release, just to play around with? :wink:

When is it expected to be completed?

Regards. :D
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hi there lighthouse,
I just wanted to get an update on how RTC DM Editor is coming
Its going, I have a full time job and dont get back till quite late along with other commitments a lot of the time, so admittedly it is going slowly at the moment. But it is going. The layout has been done for ages, the GUI is pretty much there, I have have the vaults and text files loading in properly, Ive started work on object placement, but I am currently investigating how the OBJECT and PROPERTY text files need to be formatted, I need to tear apart the DM and CSB dungeons a little more to make progress there. So the answer in short is, its coming, but Im afraid its done when its done.
Will the editor save as a .txt file, or will it be compiled directly into an .rtc file?
It will save as a TXT file that you have to compile using RTC, but I will probably add a feature that edits the text file with the path of your dungeon and launches RTC to compile it and changes the config file back to plain when it is done, so it will be sort of a fudged direct compile (if you like). I have asked GG about the possibility of seperating the RTC game engine from the dungeon compiler but it appears to be an awful lot of work and considering all the work that has gone into RTC in the first place, I wasnt about to ask for a massive change.
Is it going to include the abbility to import new bitmaps, or is that a feature farther down the road?
There is another thread that you posted on (the "Specifications thread") which with a bit of luck will have all the proper offsets for the graphics so that may be a feature that can be added pretty quickly, but probably not for the initial version. I havent looked at graphics replacement in the TXT files yet, but I am aware that Cows has done sets of replacement graphics and including a TXT file with all the bits and bobs. I may be able to get some information from there. If anyone fancies reposting the link to the alternate graphics set (Cows?) That would be fantastic.
Can we get a copy of the beta release, just to play around with?
When it is a little more complete, its not so much the editor engine itself but all the individual object TXT files and their formats. Although the editor engine still needs a fair amount of work
When is it expected to be completed?
I have no idea right now, I have some time off over xmas and I will probably charge around with a laptop of some description to see if I can get any more done.

Cheers,
Andy
Regards,

Andy