RTCED 0.1 rev.5 ALPHA Released

Use this forum to discuss additional RTC utilities (other dungeon editors, graphics generators etc).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
andyboy_uk
On Master

RTCED 0.1 rev.5 ALPHA Released

Post by andyboy_uk »

RTCEditor 0.1 rev.5 ALPHA Released into the wild

Well I think it is time to release the first ALPHA of the editor I have been working on to the community. I do have a couple of things to say before anyone gets their hopes too high :-

First off, as this is an ALPHA release it is not the finished product. In fact there is still loads of things I want to do with it, but the very basic ground work is here so you will be able to get a "look and feel" test going and hopefully feedback from that will get an editor that everyone likes to use.

As it is not finished, there are menus that do not work (including the load and save functions - so it is in no state to be designing entire dungeons in whatsoever). Having said that it will export an RTC text file (Note: Currently it will only export to c:\test.txt) and you can have a basic dungeon up and running in no time at all

Second, there are bugs (known and unknown ones in ther) please report them to this forum with the topic prefix "RTCEditor Bug - " and a brief description of the problem.

So without further ado:

Version is now out of date, see later posts

1. Unzip the file to a folder (note: if you unzip it to c:\rtceditor it should work straight out of the box as it were) if not you will need to edit the INI file and put the path in where you have installed it.

2. Edit the RTCEditor.INI to make sure you are happy with the screenres, dungeon limitations, and other settings then save it

3. Run rtceditor.exe (and thats it)

Requests
- Please can you report any bugs to this forum with a subject prefix of "RTCEd Bug - "

- Please can you report any suggestions to this forum with a subject prefix of "RTCEd Suggestion - "

- Any constructive criticism is welcome (no good saying its crap without suggesting a way to put it right and all that :))

I am nervous, its the first thing Ive released to the public before and Im hoping it doesnt disappoint anyone. People can use this topic for general feedback and discussion. I will check in on here regularly.

Feel free to email me, MSN me or drop me a PM here. Email address is in my profile.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it
Last edited by andyboy_uk on Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards,

Andy
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

What a splendid birthday present, thanks Andy, I will test it to breaking point.
Don't be scene or herd!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Any time Ka5pian. Hope it works fine for you, please do let me know if it doesnt :)
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woo hoo! Was about to go to bed, but I'm gonna download and have a quick play! Thanks Andy!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Excellent, I was waiting for you to find it gambit, you should check out the advanced section of the INI file to find the settings you requested (and some extra ones).

I will be checking in here tomorrow to see what everyone thinks :) - but I will be at work so there wont be much I can do about it until tomorrow night.
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i am going to bed, and i do have work again, but i have downloaded it so i can check it out as soon as i come back

but cool!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hi there,

I cant remember if this is in the known bugs section but there appears to be a problem with duplicate ID's that appear sometimes when you have been deleting objects and adding new ones.

Has anyone found this problem yet when compiling to RTC text files?

Also, what is the general speed like (esp, the "Preparing Images" part of the startup)? If it is more than about a second or so can you post here with your system spec's.

It was developed on a Twin - P3-700 with 384mb Ram and a Geforce2mx 32mb.

Cheers,
a
Regards,

Andy
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Just like to thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. They are all much appriciated. I am actually surprised as there are not as many bugs as I expected. The one thing that concerns me a little is the performance issue that PITD is having as that is probably my code. Im worried that the sanity checker isnt doing anything yet and that is going to do a lot of calculation when an object is placed that might slow things down.

I have replied on all teh suggestion topics and some have been answered with questions. If the people who raised them wouldnt mind checking them over again and add an extra penny to the mix to help me get an idea of what you are all after.

Also Cows, It seemed like a good idea to do the suggestions and bugs in here but it might get a bit messy. Should I lock, delete or rename topics that have been implemented gents? what would you prefer?

Cheers,
a
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i say lock
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I would agree.

Right Im off home and I will be starting on these bugs and changes when I get back.

Will be on MSN tonight from about 19:45 UK time if anyone fancies a chat :)

Cheers again all,

Andy
Regards,

Andy