RTCED SUGGESTION: Behaviour of wall items larger than wall

Use this forum to discuss additional RTC utilities (other dungeon editors, graphics generators etc).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

RTCED SUGGESTION: Behaviour of wall items larger than wall

Post by Gambit37 »

For things such as fountains and mirrors, the images are larger than the wall. This looks great, but unfortunately is tricky to manage as one forgets to click on the wall it's attached to, instead I've ended up clicking the tile next to it. I suggest:

Modify these images so that they are also 32x32 and sit within the wall graphic. I realise it won't look as nice but I think that it will be more intuitive and easier for the designer to edit.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

how could you not click on the correct wall?? it centers the tile on the mouse! just click in the middle of the wall you want it on.

I think I have a better solution to this andy.. lock to grid. the image moves around being dragged by the mouse still but bounces from tile center to tile center snapping to the grid.. so when you click.. you know where it will be.

Alternatively, you can rescale those images if you like.. you won't get an error for doing so.

moo

EDIT: Oh my... it doesn't center the image anymore. I guess Andy choped that part out by accident. It used to center the image on the mouse so you knew where you were dropping it. Since I had the same issue with clicking in the wrong space.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ok, first things first.

One of Cowsmanauts requests was that the tile be centred on the mouse when placing tiles, this is a setting in the INI file that can be BELOW_MOUSE or OFFSET (personally I prefer OFFSET) and I believe that is how the released INI file was sent out. If you want to give that a try first gambit to see if you prefer that method of placement

Second, the tileset can be easily changed/amended. Simply follow these steps.

1. Take a copy of the tileVault\default directory and paste it as tileVault\default2

2. In the tileVault\default2 directory locate the images that are larger than standard tiles (i.e. the FOUNTAIN) and replace them with a standard 64x64 image - there is bound to be a blank one in there somewhere, if not take a copy of the MONSTER_DRAGON_RED.BMP and rename it as the fountain image name. Then Fill it in with power pink (red-255, green-0, blue-255) as the transparency mask.

3. Draw a representation of a fountain on the south edge of the tile image and save it.

4. Edit the RTCEditor.INI file and change the TileVault=DEFAULT setting to TileVault=DEFAULT2 and save it

5. Fire up the editor and it should pick up the graphics from the new directory.

Let me know how you get on with this one, and in the next release I will provide a tileset that does not have larger images than the standard tiles.

Personally I quite like the fountains and mirrors appearing on the edges of the walls but its all personal preference,

Cheers
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

how about the lock to grid option as a 3rd alternative. for mouse placement. :)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I think Gambit means when he goes to edit his mirror, he clicks on the floor tile next to to the wall.

Gambit?
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, that's it exactly Andy -- nothing to do with locking/centering, but everything to do with the fact that the object appears to be in the adjacent tile. If you're working quickly this can be rather annoying...
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Next version will contain a tileset that is all 64x64 to avoid confusion unless you want to create a new tileset yourself.

If you do, the small tiles must be a quater of the size of the large tiles. Other than that, anything goes if it looks good.
If you're working quickly this can be rather annoying...
So it allows you to work pretty quickly then? :D Thats good news

Cheers.
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

so the point was clicking on the foutain instead of the wall. I get it now.. I just reread the top post and now I understand.

Didn't suffer that myself since I work based on what I expect to see from my visualization of the dungeon. I look see the mirror on the wall and click on the wall. Now that you mention this though.. I do see how it could be an issue.

I would think though that they could remain where they are and set up better hit location if you were into that Andy. Where you click on what you want to edit. so if you want to edit the foutain you don't click on the wall but the fountain. that would actually make it faster in the case of 4 fountains on one wall.. you could click the one you wanted instead of getting a list of fountains on this wall.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ooh, yeah, I like the sound of that -- if it's not difficult to program
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

but that would slow people with sloppy mouse control from being as quick as gambit!
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

It certainly is possible to program and shouldnt take that long to implement, but it will be messy when items overlap on the same square and I would have to do some playing around.

And as beowuuf says, it may slow things down a fair bit.

Will test it and let you know how I get on.

Let me think about that one.
Regards,

Andy
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

DefualtFixed Tilevault introduced with fixed SMALL and LARGE tiles (no overhang tiles as in default tileset).

I will look further into the mouse clicking question, do you have any thoughts on overlapping?
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes, it checks for something under it (as in on the tile where you perhaps have a pile of items) and then opens that selection box telling all the items. If it's just that one thing then it just opens it's properties.

Hope that makes sense.. too many voices around me to think straight.

moo