RTCED BUG: Lowercase letters in Dungeon Properties

Use this forum to discuss additional RTC utilities (other dungeon editors, graphics generators etc).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

RTCED BUG: Lowercase letters in Dungeon Properties

Post by Gambit37 »

VER: Alpha 0.1 rev 0.5
BUG: The default text used in the Dungeon Properties window is in lowercase. This should all be in uppercase because lowercase text equates to the spell symbols when viewed in the game.

I also suggest that this be improved so that the user can't enter any lowercase text at all. Oh, maybe not actually -- perhaps they might want a spell symbol in there? Forget that one, but please make the defaulkt text uppercase.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Will see what I can do. I can certainly get the text converted to upper case when it is compiled, even if it appears as lower case.

I may have to get onto Chris about only having upper case text boxes.
Regards,

Andy
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

They Export as upper case regardless of what you put in there.

The text property will as well, but I need to design a rune placer button for the text property ;)
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I unlocked this thread to reply.

If you make it export all uppercase, then how can we put runes into the text? That's why I changed my mind on the original posting....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i think what he's saying is that text will type as text no matter what, and there will be some seperate insert for runes, right? Personally i think this would be better, because i must admit i forgot about the rune thing when you said, and i almost typed text as if the cases were the same...i'm sure others might make that mistake

It's think its nicer to not have to worry about setting caps lock for typing quick text, and to see 'i have inserted a <<, *, etc
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Wuuf is right, I was going to have a panel that inserts runes into text specially, but in the dungeon properties (i.e. NAME, AUTHOR, etc) would you really need or want runes?

Certainly for the text fields on walls and scrolls (and of course the RUNES property).

What does everyone think?
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, this thread was about text in the Dungeon Properties. I would expect runes to be used in scroll and wall text.
They Export as upper case regardless of what you put in there.
This was my point -- if the Dungeon Property text is exported as uppercase regardless, then this won't allow for runes to be inserted. Better to restrict typed in text to capitals and then have some way of inserting runes separately. Do you see what I mean?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Personally I imagined that that the dialogue box for text would allow you to type whatever, and there would be a side box to insert the rune

So you could type:

"Hello, OOps i can't type, something something CApiTaL"
then insert
"<< ~"
from a menu on the side with runes

And on clicking 'ok', it would export that as:

HELLO OOPS I CANT TYPE SOMETHING SOMEHTING CAPITAL\
ah

Because i certainly don't find it intuitive to convert the 24 runes to their letters...after a - f for the power, i have to stop and think and headscratch over which converts to what
So for editor ease i would prefer text input to act as i described above...it would also help new people who don't understand the format for runes, and who wouldn't realise the importance of capitals
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ok,

the properties on items such as MISC_SCROLL TEXT=(THIS IS/abc) are handled by a different system to the Dungeon Properties dialog. The dungeon properties are taken once and put at the beginning of the text file and never used again.

So when you enter text on scrolls they are not automatically converted to upper case or changed in any way (yet - havent got there yet).

This will allow you to put runes on scrolls but not allow you to put a rune in the name of the dungoen (as it appears on the choose modules screen at the beginning of RTC).

George, is there a place you can view the dungeon details in RTC itself? i.e. the AUTHOR, DATE, etc..

Is that what you are after?
Regards,

Andy
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

This data is at the very top of each dungeon file - section [Main data]. DId you mean that?

Regards, PitD
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Thats the one.
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The data is used on the Credits page of the Utilties part of RTC.

Having runes here would be nice, 'cos then you could name the dungeon something like "The Temple of Ven" but use the rune instead...
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Suppose so, ok then I will look into allowing this. For now it will have to remain the same as it is now, but I will email chris about the text boxes.
Regards,

Andy