RTC Map Booter

Use this forum to discuss additional RTC utilities (other dungeon editors, graphics generators etc).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

RTC Map Booter

Post by Lord_BoNes »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
***        LAST UPDATE - 21th Jan 2010        ***
---- * * * * ++++           Download Link          ++++ * * * * ----

Just a quick little 5 min job, but it helps me to test multiple dungeons easily... put the EXE in your RTC directory, then create a shortcut to the EXE in an RTC sub-folder (EG: "Modules", the folder that contains the map/maps that you wish to boot)

All you have to do is drag a TXT file onto the shortcut, and RTC will startup, attempting to load the given dungeon.

Features:
Image When starting a file with the launcher, if it isn't a *.RTC file, then it asks you if you want to COMPILE or TEST. Whichever option you select, it asks if you want to remember that setting, so that it automatically tests or compiles any non *.RTC file you launch after that point.
NOTE: this feature dymanically alters your CONFIG.TXT (it temporarily comments out any test or compile lines, so it can add what it wants), but it backs the original as CONFIG.BAK if you need to recover the config file.
Image Backs up any launched file into your RTC/Backup directory. So your dungeon is now safer from a crashing editor (or, at least, up until your last launch). The backup is also time & date stamped, so that they won't overwrite each other. Make sure that you clean out this directory often, unless you don't mind the HDD space usage.
Image Added LAUNCHER.INI setup file creation, which just stores variables for remembering between usage (whether to auto-test/compile, etc).
- NEVER_ASK_TEST_OR_COMPILE
Does it ask you if you want to always TEST or COMPILE?
Default: FALSE

- ALWAYS_COMPILE
Does it always compile the map (as opposed to testing it)?

- ALWAYS_TEST
Does it always test the map (as opposed to compiling it)?

- CLEANUP_CRASH_DUMPS
Does it move the RTC crash dump *.TXT files to RTC/CRASHES?
Default: TRUE

- CLEANUP_LOG_AND_BAK
Does it move *.LOG and *.BAK files from the map folder to RTC/LOGS?

- CLEANUP_COMPILED_MAPS
Does it move any freshly *.RTC files to RTC/COMPILED?

Cleaning features:
These features are just there to help keep things neat and tidy, and they can be individually deactivated in the INI.
Image Automatically moves all "crash dump" text files (from the RTC's directory) into RTC/Crashes
Image Automatically moves *.LOG & *.BAK (from the dungeon's directory) into RTC/Logs
Last edited by Lord_BoNes on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 am, edited 13 times in total.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: RTC Map Booter

Post by Gambit37 »

Nice! Thanks, will check it out.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

That does sound good, especially you use the multiple dungeons just to test out new mechanics/objects that you are designing. It will save a bit of time.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Um, you can just drag files directly onto RTC.exe (or a shortcut) and it works the same way... am I missing something?
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

I think its so you don't have to keeping compiling the dungeon each time after you edit it...but I'll try your way too.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Trego: You don't have to compile a dungeon during development!!! That would take forever -- use TEST mode.

The benefit of Lord_Bones tool is that you put it in the folder where your TXT files are, which is normally 'Modules' -- it's not as easy to drag a TXT file from here into the parent folder (where RTC is) unless you have two Explorer windows open. This tool means you can do it all from one folder.

Why such big file though? 1.2MB!!!?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:The benefit of Lord_Bones tool is that you put it in the folder where your TXT files are, which is normally 'Modules' -- it's not as easy to drag a TXT file from here into the parent folder (where RTC is) unless you have two Explorer windows open.
You can create a shortcut to RTC.exe (and put that in Modules) and drag stuff onto it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh. Looks like this tool is redundant then ;-)

EDIT: I just tried your way Sophia. It doesn't work if the full path to RTC and/or the TXT file has spaces in it. RTC also compiles the file -- which takes too long on big dungeons.

I'm happy using my current method of simply editing the config file and using the TEST parameter.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I have only one TXT file to run : i add a little new level each time i want to test a new mechanic.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

@Sophia: Creating just a shortcut to RTC and drag-dropping won't work (windows sends the full file path to RTC, and it cracks the s**ts)

@Gambit: As to the filesize, this was a quick 5 minute application that I wrote for myself in Blitz3D. It would appear that Blitz bloats filesize quite a lot. But what can ya do? It does what I wanted it to do, and I have over 1.2TB in HDD space, so 1MB means absolutely nothing to me <grin> :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Lord_BoNes wrote:Creating just a shortcut to RTC and drag-dropping won't work
I tested it and it works fine for me. As Gambit pointed out, it probably has something to do with whether your path has spaces in it or not, I guess.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

It's not that. Try drag-dropping directly onto the EXE, on my PC, it sends the FULL PATH (EG: "c:\games\rtc\modules\test.txt")
All my little tool does is examine that string and remove the path to RTC from it (IE: "c:\games\rtc\modules\test.txt" becomes "modules\test.txt")
If you can simply drag-drop directly onto the EXE (or a shortcut to it) then you're better off your way. This tool is simply for those that have issues with drag-dropping (like myself).

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I have altered the link in the first post. I hope you're happier with this one, Sophia... 150kb.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

*** UPDATE ***
I've updated my launcher (I had the RTC editor trash my dungeon, so I added a backup feature... and others). Check the first post for the new link.
Since my last version, I've actually realised that the previous versions never actually "tested" the dungeon, they always compiled it. This new version adds the option to compile OR test.

New features:
Image When starting a file with the launcher, if it isn't a *.RTC file, then it asks you if you want to COMPILE or TEST. Whichever option you select, it asks if you want to remember that setting, so that it automatically tests or compiles any non *.RTC file you launch after that point.
NOTE: this feature dymanically alters your CONFIG.TXT (it temporarily comments out any test or compile lines, so it can add what it wants), but it backs the original as CONFIG.BAK if you need to recover the config file.
Image Backs up any launched file into your RTC/Backup directory. So your dungeon is now safer from a crashing editor (or, at least, up until your last launch). The backup is also time & date stamped, so that they won't overwrite each other. Make sure that you clean out this directory often, unless you don't mind the HDD space usage.
Image Added LAUNCHER.INI setup file creation, which just stores variables for remembering between usage (whether to auto-test/compile, etc). The "NEVER ASK" option is to always compile, never to test, and never to even ask if you want to test... it simply launches the way it used to in previous versions.

Cleaning features:
These features are just there to help keep things neat and tidy, and they can be individually deactivated in the INI.
Image Automatically moves all "crash dump" text files (from the RTC's directory) into RTC/Crashes
Image Automatically moves *.LOG & *.BAK (from the dungeon's directory) into RTC/Logs

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Definitely a more useful util now, thanks for the update. Will check it out when back from my hols.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Added "CLEANUP_COMPILED_MAPS" option...

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Can anyone please comment?

I really want to hear people's feedback on this... if no-one seems to want it, then I don't see the point of updating it here. I'll obviously still alter my version from time to time, but I'm not left with many options when the people that DO like/want it, don't tell me :(

I had fun adding my nice little "setup window" (it took 2 days to get it spot on) and nobody has said a word.
I must say that I'm just a bit disappointed, that's all... :(

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't play around with building RT dungeons at the moment, sorry :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry LB, I just haven't had any time for dungeon building these last few weeks so I've not tested your tool (ooe-er!) Free time goes in phases and right now, earning money is my top priority.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Thanx guys. At least I know that you two are following along (even if only in bits and pieces) :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

I use this tool, I find it nice because it sorts all of my files into nice folders and I don't need to keep changing the configuration file to load certain files. Thanks for making this.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Glad you like it! Always good to hear some positive feedback. :D
I personally added that feature because I got sick and tired of the RTC editor killing my dungeons. I'd rather lose an hours work (the save before the trashed one) than to lose the whole dungeon (in which, last time it happened, I lost 2 MONTHS work).

Side-Topic: If you're using this tool, then obviously you're making dungeons in the editor. But, I can't say that I've seen any released ones. Are you working on a major project? Or is it that the project's always 'gone south'? If you need 'mechanical assistance' then I'm sure I could help you (or give it a fair go, and learn even more about RTC). Feel free to PM me if want any advice, or you can always post it on the "RTC editing" thread.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

2 MONTHS lost!! That's a major ouch and would be enough to put me off completely. Recovering from a few lost HOURS is hard enough. man, I really sympathise. :( George really needs to fix whatever bug causes such damaging effects!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

You see, sometimes a crashing editor can be salvaged by attempting to click the save button before actually canning the program. You can then simply load your dungeon and you're back to where you were...
However, sometimes attempting to save makes the problem worse, and your dungeon only gets "half saved" (the editor cuts out before it finishes actually outputting the file) just keep in mind that your object definitions in an RTC dungeon file are saved right near the bottom...

And yeah, for a while it did put me off editing RTC. That's when my clone got some extra attention (and subsequently sent out to meet the world :P).

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hang on, even with a major crash, you should still have the .bak file right? How can you lose 2 months work if you have the last .bak file?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Isn't that the problem, the .bak file gets corrupted too somehow? Someone else had that recently... forget who.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

In my above mentioned method of "HOLY CRAP! Quick! Click that save button!"... when the editor crashes mid-save, you can actually click the save button again (while it's still in a "crashed state") and THAT corrupts the *.bak file.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

I am working on a smaller project, but mostly I have been getting more familiar with the program. My problem is that I want my dungeon to be developed enough that it does not take only an hour or 2 to complete it, but rather you need to build up your characters and puzzle through things. The difficult part I am finding is making puzzles that have the right balance of fighting/thought/complexity. Also, I am sturggling with a making a suitable generation scheme for my large base level.

I feel that I keep getting ideas that take away from making the dungeon to see if I can get "this to work" or to see if "that is possible" but eventually I may have a dungeon ready.

On a side note, sorry it took so long for me to comment on this... I have been using it for about a month and meant to comment on it after I downloaded it, but decided to wait and see how it worked out for me. Then I forgot to come back and comment.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

As I said above, I'm always open to requests for assistance editing RTC. I seem to have cracked a fair few things that nobody else can figure out, so feel free to throw questions at me... I may have already figured it out myself :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

glecko
Craftsman

Post by glecko »

I will try this. It may be beyond my ability, but it soungs like what i am looking for. Thanks