UPDATED: Huge bugs with Cloned Mirrors: [FIX NOW FOUND!]

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

UPDATED: Huge bugs with Cloned Mirrors: [FIX NOW FOUND!]

Post by Gambit37 »

If a party member dies and you decide to throw anything they've dropped, the thrown item won't leave the tile!

You see the item briefly, but it doesn't get thrown and ends up on the same square that you're standing on. Yet if you look for it, it's vanished, unless you turn around on the tile or step out and re-enter -- then it reappears!

Possibly some problem with my custom dungeon. GG, if you still have that stuff I sent you, it does it in that file.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's even weirder than I thought!

If you also move any of the dead members items to another tile, and try throwing any objects while on that other tile, those thrown objects do the same thing!
TyGuy6
Craftsman

Post by TyGuy6 »

Hmm. Sounds like you have a case of party poltergeist. Your dead hero has come back as a spirit to make sure you take good care of his items.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Can anyone else confirm this bug, or is it just happening in my custom dungeon?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Gambit37 wrote:Can anyone else confirm this bug, or is it just happening in my custom dungeon?
It's just your dungeon (unless anyone else can prove otherwise!), so I don't think this is a bug with RTC.

For example, if you enter the DM dungeon, take two mirror characters and kill one of them off, the items they drop behave properly.

EDIT: Having just tried it with the version of your dungeon that I have too, I can't reproduce it there either. Can you send me the latest version of it so I can try again - just the compiled RTC file will be fine for now rather than sending everything!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, this is nothing to do with party members dying at all.

The behaviour happens with SOME thrown items regardless of whether a member has died or not. I thought it was items that had been given to party mirrors that did it, but even other items placed in the dungeon exhibit this behaviour, but only when thrown from SOME tiles and not others!

I have no idea what's going on, it's bizarre!

If and when you return to RTC GG, I'm happy to send you my compiled file though it's rather big...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Strange bug with throwing items when a party member dies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just for the record, I've experienced this randomly in my work in progress Maze of Zagor dungeon. It was afresh dungeon from scratch and shares nothing with the dungeon where I originally discovered the problem.

I have tried to see if there is anything common between the dungeons that would cause this but have found nothing so far.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Strange bug with throwing items when a party member dies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, I think I've finally determined what causes this problem: bugs connected to CLONED MIRRORS and/or ACTION_ADD_CHARACTER_TO_PARTY. (Topic title updated to reflect this.)

Any character resurrected from a cloned mirror (either directly by the player clicking the mirror or using ACTION_ADD_CHARACTER_TO_PARTY) will display this throwing bug. And subsequently any other character resurrected -- whether from a cloned mirror or a normal mirror -- will also display this throwing bug. (I guess this is why no-one else found it as no-one seems to have used cloned mirrors in their dungeons.)

The bug also seems to be connected to monster AI. After you throw an item and it exhibits the strange behaviour described above, monsters become extremely dumb! They will see you and come and fight, but at some point they just give up and just stand around waiting to be finished off. (Also reported here). I've not noticed them do this in any other context, they usually run away. (I wonder if the lazy monsters behind pits is also connected?)

This is obviously a very obscure set of bugs and it's taken me a fair bit of testing with original mirrors standard functionality vs. cloned mirrors/ACTION_ADD_CHARACTER_TO_PARTY to find it, but I'm confident this is where the problem lies.

A darn shame: my whole character selection process can only work by using cloned mirrors: if this bug isn't fixed, I have to trash one of the big features of my dungeon that makes it unique. :( :( :( I'm really unhappy.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: UPDATED: Huge bugs with Cloned Mirrors: Unusable :-(

Post by Gambit37 »

Blimey! Almost exactly a year later, I found a fix for this -- which means you can used cloned mirrors after all!

Just make sure the cloned mirror is at the *top* of the stack of items on your wall tile (the other items in the stack would be the things that end up in the inventory of the mirror character). If the mirror is on the *bottom* of the stack, the bug is invoked. How weird is that!?
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

lol. Nice to see that you are still poking around in the editor :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, although I've postponed my custom game for now, I had some ideas I wanted to try out. Funny when inspiration strikes! :-)