Music problem when you die

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Music problem when you die

Post by Trantor »

I have several pieces of ambient music that loop an are set to "dungeon". If I save the game in a place with music A, then enter a place with music B and die there, music B does not stop, it just goes on. If I reload my savegame, both music are played, creating an audible mess. I would like the music that plays in the moment you die stop at exactly that point, thus only hearing the proper music when loading the savegame.
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

That indeed is quite a bug. Good find trantor.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Are you saying that the save game has been updated with "music B is playing" even though you haven't saved again?

Is this in the same game session? Does the problem happen if you quit RTC and start from scratch and reload save game?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I'll try to be a bit less confusing:

The savegame seems to remember what music was played at exactly the place and time it was saved. The music even seems to continue playing at the same note where it was when saved.

The problem is that if you die, the music that is currently playing does not stop. It will simply continue on the "game over"-screen and also if you reload your game then.
When you quit RTC, restart the program and load your savegame, everything is fine. But if you die and reload the game via the option "restart this game" (or whatever it is called), you will hear the music that was saved and the one that never stopped. If it is the same music, it is played twice, overlapping each other.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, yeah, that's a bug, especially as the end game screen can have its own music. There were similar problems using the Make New Adventure code and music not stopping, which GG fixed so I imagine it's just a simple check that should be done when you die -- if music is playing, then stop it.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Weird, I recompiled the dungeon, tested it and had no problems this time. I will need to look further into this...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Music problem when you die

Post by Gambit37 »

Not sure how Trantor slved his problem, as this is still a bug: Music and Ambience continues to play when the full party dies. All sounds should be stopped before running the End sequence. (v0.49)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

GG, I know you're not actively working on RTC, but I was wondering if you might find time to release a quick maintenance bugfix, to fix problems with sounds and music continuing to play after death?

The current bug makes it impossible to use ambience in a dungeon: if the player dies and reloads, the original sound remains playing, plus a new copy is started from the savegame. After a few reloads, it's a cacophonous mess! You have to quit RTC and restart to cure it. That's not much fun with big dungeons containing lots of assets as it can take a minute or so each time to restart.

Please, please, please, please pretty please? :)

For the record, this is what needs to be fixed:

1) STOP all ambient sounds and music when the player dies
2) STOP the End Game Screen music when the player reloads their savegame (but still restart any music/sounds that was saved as "playing" when the game was saved)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thank you for reminding me of this Gambit. Yeah, the bug is still there, though it doesn't always appear. I have not found a system when the bug shows up and when it doesn't. I guess this means I won't release my dungeon for the time being.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

old post, I know. takes time for me to read everything. this seems like troublesome bug. has there been a fix since? is there another post I missed somewhere?
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No, this bug has not been fixed, nor have any of those still remaining in the Bugs forum.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

that sucks :( does not look like anyone has tackled the problem on their own. it must be difficult to remedy. a GG only fix.

is it possible to interrupt when the death of the party activates by way of counter?, just before death and use a ambient sound(if any) that last a second.
just a stab at it. i'd like to know how that death activation works if anyone would like to explain it. death always interests me :lol:
keep your gor coin handy
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Try choosing a music that won't get old, because it's not a bug, it's the other side.
Hell. When you die, the music playing won't stop and you'll be stuck with it for eternity.
Heaven. When you die, the music playing won't stop and you'll be stuck with it for eternity.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hahaha
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I realise the answer this is probably 'No' (since GG wasn't and isn't around), but was this ever resolved?
Or is there a decent workaround?

I have an extensive musical score in my new dungeon...and though it could only happen very rarely, it is pretty annoying!
It seems that whatever point the music is at in the savegame file overrides any triggers (in my dungeon, you would hit a trigger that disables the music if you saved at a point before it starts).
What difference is there in using 'Sound Ambient' and 'Music Ambient'?
I have mine set as 'Music Ambient'.... Could changing it to 'Sound Ambient' resolve this?

What is the difference? They both have 'dungeon' and 'level' settings and a loop facility.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Please forgive the double post...

I have tried some test scenarios... Obviously the 'Sound Ambient' switching on and off won't do. Seems that this is a bug that i'll just have to live with.
Annoying, but there you go!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, this bug remains and won't get fixed. :(
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I sorta dealt with this unintentionally. I set up a relay to check party health so when it reached health of 1 the music was deactivated before death occurs.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Strange one... I set up a small test dungeon with the same scenario (ie.. a trigger that activates the music and one that deactivates it), and the bug didn't happen.

I activated the music, then moved through the deactivate trigger and saved it. Then went back to the activate trigger to start the music and got killed. When i restarted from the save, the music had been wiped (as it should have).
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Put the relay in a loop and try using party's tile, so far have had some strange things, can shut off music before death, when replayed the party's tile can deactivate the music. Still fooling with it.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

What i mean is.... It worked without the relay loop. Strange! Setup was no different to what is in my dungeon. Maybe i have missed something.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

So far, when the music is activated, the party's tile can be set to deactivate all music, so when the game is restarted the music no longer plays. I'm not sure what we're looking for here. The music can be deactivated upon restarting. Using the loop on the death part can also deactivate the music so it won't interfere with the end game music. It seems to work, like I said, not sure what we're looking for.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I mean, when i set up a small test dungeon and compiled it... the bug didn't happen. It was set up with two rooms and two triggers... nothing else. I hit the trigger to activate the music, then went to the other room (hitting the trigger to deactivate the music on the way) and saved the game. I then went back to the first room and activated the music again. Then i killed the party and reloaded using the "Restart this game" option, going to the point where the music had been deactivated before the game was saved. The music stopped.

This is how it should be, but in my main dungeon it doesn't happen. The music that was playing at the time of the party's death carries on even though the game was saved before the music was activated.
I understand the way the bug works... Just cannot understand why it didn't also happen in the small two-room dungeon.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Yes, had the same results, yesterday I had a delay in the test loop which gave me a false result.

"The music that was playing at the time of the party's death carries on even though the game was saved before the music was activated."

Your problem is weird, if the save game had no music then perhaps it is being activated from where you're standing when you restart, other than that it is bewildering.

Tried just about EVERYTHING this morning to deactivate the music when restarting, no luck. It can only be done if the party takes a step. Tried to force a step with the party's tile, that wouldn't work. A step must be taken in the dungeon.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

It is exactly the same as originally posted by Trantor... Just weird that when i set it up in a small test dungeon, it didn't happen.
Think it's just something i'll have to put up with. It only goes wrong if you save the game in a section with no music and get killed in another part (In the case of my dungeon, it's in one place and with no real need to save there).

It is not a case of the music activating after restart. The music that was playing at the time of death just carries on, so when you hit the music trigger after reloading it plays over the top of the music that played from death.

If the saved game is in a place that has the same music as where you die, everything is fine.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

"If the saved game is in a place that has the same music as where you die, everything is fine."

What type of music file, are they the same? ogg mp3, other
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

All mp3.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Then it truly is a mystery. Why mp3? ogg cuts the size down by 60%, Don't really notice the difference that much, it is detectable especially with echo effects but it's not that bad. Sound files take the most space.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yep... Why it works in one instance and not the other, i've no idea. Set up is essentially the same, but on a smaller scale.
On the other point... I thought ogg was smaller, but when i converted one of the dungeon's music files to both, the mp3 was 12.9mb and the ogg was 13mb. Pretty much no difference.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Think it's compression, ogg files are around 60% less than mp3s, unless there is a new compression for mp3. If you'd like I can check that out for you.
keep your gor coin handy