[Not a bug] Cannot resume saved game

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Giamma77
Neophyte

[Not a bug] Cannot resume saved game

Post by Giamma77 »

George Gilbert
Dear George,

I'm a huge fan of DM and I was very excited when I saw someone had done a windows version of the game.
I have a big problem with the version 0.49:
I cannot resume a seved game.
Please help me find the way to fix this problem because I really would love to play again my favorite game ever!!
I can save my game normally and the game doesn't give any error message, but when I try to resume the saved game by clicking on the "resume" button on the entrance the game gives the message "Dungeon Master (original version) cannot find any saved game”.
Can you please help me?
Thanks a lot

Giammaria
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hello Giamma and welcome to the forums. :-)

George does not use the forums at present, so the rest of us will try to help as best we can.

The first thing to check is that you have selected the right dungeon from the list. Maybe you selected the Dungeon Master RTC version for the first time you played, but then when you played again, you selected the Dungeon Master Original version?

When you "Resume" a saved game from the dungeon entrance, RTC only looks for saves that match the dungeon you select using that initial selector box.

You can also check the 'Modules' folder off the RTC folder. Look for files with the extension ".SVX" where X is a number. The first part of the file name will match the name of the dungeon RTC file and will give you an idea of which dungeon you were playing. For example "DM.SV0" is for the RTC version of Dungeon Master, while "DM_Original.SV0" is for the original version.

Hope that helps; if this isn't the problem we'll have to do some further investigating.

(Note that the RTC version of DM plays differently, with a different way of handling magic spells using a spell book and a couple of other small changes. It's a tougher challenge than the original game as you can't cast spells until you find the scrolls that contain the runes... :twisted: )
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Indeed in order to help you we need a more detailed description.

You say V0.49. Was the savegame in question also created with V0.49, or with an earlier release?

Did you use RTC's original DM to create the savegame, or did you use RTC-DM to create the savegame?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Giamma77
Neophyte

Post by Giamma77 »

Hello Gambit37 and Lunever and thank you very much for answering me.
I'll try to be more specific hoping this might help you helping me.
First of all, I selected the original version of DM (the second one from the list) and I saved my game; then I opened again the original version but I couldn't find any saved game to resume.
The savegame I created has been created with the same release, V0.49, since I didn't play any other release.
Last, I looked in the 'Modules' folder but I didn't find any file with the extension ".SVX". Can this be the problem? In another topic I found I should have a file named 'save.dat' or something similar, but I don't have any file like that.
Thank you very much for your support, I really love this game I used to play when I was a kid and I would like to play it again and again in all its versions.
By

Giammaria
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hi Giamma,

I sent you a pm earlier, you may have missed it.

Can you check and see if your folder is read only? It is possible the folder cannot be saved to. If you unset the read only flag, then the save would work fine.

The 'save.dat' files are for the original version of the game, not Return to Chaos. Return to chaos uses the format gambit mentioned
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If there are no .SVx files, then nothing was saved. :(

You may not have file extensions enabled. Do you normally see the extension of files when you view a folder? (.doc, .xls, .pdf, etc.)

Also, check that all the files in your RTC folder are writable. Right-click on your RTC folder, and select Properties. There will be some checkboxes, one of which says "Read Only" and that will probably be ticked. Untick it and when prompted, make sure you apply the changes to all the files and folders. See if that helps.
Giamma77
Neophyte

Post by Giamma77 »

Dear all,

I checked the properties of the folder as you suggested and the read only flag is already unset.
I usually see all the file extensions like .dat or .dll.
In the 'modules' folder I can only file with extension .txt or .RTC.
What can I do?
Thanks a lot.

Giamma
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That's very strange. If there are no .SVx files, then nothing was saved.

Ah.... hang on, this has been seen before. Have you fully unzipped the file to a new folder or are you playing directly from the ZIP file? That won't work... you need to unzip everything to a new folder on your HD.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

did you type a name on the save screen?
Giamma77
Neophyte

Post by Giamma77 »

Maybe that's the problem!!
I played the game directly from the zip file.
I'll try to unzipp every file to a ned folder on my hd and then I'll try to play again and save the game.
Thanks a lot and see you tomorrow.
By

Giamma
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

that will be it!

enjoy :)
Giamma77
Neophyte

Post by Giamma77 »

Gambit37, Beowuuf,

thank you very much!!

I can now save my game and resume it!!
Wonderfull!

See you soon.

Giamma
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Congrats.
Also, welcome to the forums.

BTW: What time-zone are you in Giamma? You seem to post at a similar time to myself... I'm in Australia.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Giamma77
Neophyte

Post by Giamma77 »

Hi Lord Bones.

I'm in Italy.

I'd like to ask some question about the original version of DM.

Do you use fighter skill as well or just magic?

I use only magic to end the game but I was wondering if any used some other way to fight enemies.

By

Giamma
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Giamma.

That's a new question -- please post new questions as new threads in the relevant forum. Your question is about DM gameplay, so please post it there. This helps everyone use the forum better -- otherwise things get lost in unrelated subjects. I'll close this thread as your original problem has now been solved.

Thanks.