I Can No Longer Save My Games

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
darkling
Neophyte

I Can No Longer Save My Games

Post by darkling »

Hello. I started playing DM Return to Chaos on Monday 7/5/10 and was able to save to two different save files. I can return to my save points with no problem. But when
I try to save my progress over a previous save or new save file, the entire game crashes.

This is the error message I receive:
RTC (V0.49) Diagnostic file - Wed Jul 07 19:28:56 2010

Error:
an access violation exception.

Stack Dump:
RTCModule.WTMP();
RTC.ProgStateSaving();
RTC.DoFrame(int 109);
RTC.WinMain();

Please help me. I would like to keep playing. I loved this game back on the Amiga!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: I Can No Longer Save My Games

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi, welcome to the forums. This sounds unusual, I've not heard of this problem before.

First, are you sure you have installed the game properly? Some people have inadvertently been playing the game from within the ZIP file, you need to unzip it to its own folder. See here for clarification: http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=27971
darkling
Neophyte

Post by darkling »

Thank you for the kind welcome.

I double-checked and it looks like I unzipped everything to its own folder.
Stevedave83
Neophyte

Post by Stevedave83 »

I'm experiencing this exact same problem. I've played RTC in the past with no problem, but I recently reinstalled my OS (Windows 7 N, if that makes a difference) and now I'm getting the aforementioned diagnostic message.

This is the first time I've tried to run RTC since my OS reinstall. Also, I've extracted the zip file into it's own directory.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Steve. I've recently upgraded to Win7 so will test this out when I get some time. If it is indeed a replicable issue, then it needs fixing by George, the RTC programmer. But as far as we know, he's no longer working on it.

You might be able to solve the problem by forcing RTC to run in compatibility mode. Have you tried that? (Right click the RTC.exe, select Properties at the bottom of the popup and investigate the Compatibility tab).

As an aside, I'm guessing there is some problem with RTC being able to write temp files (guessing at RTCModule.WTMP();) -- perhaps it is a security/permissions problem. You might need to also run RTC with elevated Administrator permissions.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I played an RTC game under Win 7 with no issue, so it's not purely to do with the operating system. Although I won't rule out an issue with permissions!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

beowuuf wrote:I played an RTC game under Win 7 with no issue, so it's not purely to do with the operating system. Although I won't rule out an issue with permissions!
i get questions with the editor, even with the admin settings to yes, my computer will not sleep in either editor or rtc, i use 64 bit, still really no issues, just save often, both files and always txt, it will reduce chance of lost data.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

This error started popping up more often when I reinstalled Windows 7. It never happened that much before. I have been using it since it came out. I am baffled. I ran compatible for 95 and the problem seems to so far have gone away. I have no idea what was changed or why it started to happen intermittently :? It occurs when setting up a relay condition to check for an object. All is fine until trying to save. Weird. I hope it is gone.

Has anyone else been getting this problem lately?
keep your gor coin handy