Bizarre crash bug

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Bizarre crash bug

Post by Lord_BoNes »

When testing my dungeon, I've often had RTC crash when I reach the end. After the dungeon stats have been displayed, and it says "saving champions" it just bombs out back to the desktop. Has anyone else seen this, or is it just me?

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Bizarre crash bug

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, I get it all the time too.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Yes, me too. I thought it may be due to the shading on the txt. Funny. The end game worked fine at first, then gave me an error ever since. Need to look into this. Most of the time when it crashes out to the desktop, it's a timing issue that can be fixed. I dunno the reason with the end game crash.
keep your gor coin handy
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I've tried removing all characters from the party, swapping out all monsters to NULL & swapping out various object types. Nothing seems to work. I'm reaching the end of my rope on this issue... it's driving me around the bend :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

:( For now, I'm not going to worry about it too much. It is not all that important, since you can make your own end game, just no stats. Stats are not so hot for me either, since I can have 2 or more same creatures showing up, due to the click. I have 8 or so monsters that are interactive when clicked on, to give them items. This made the stats look bad, mummy 1, mummy 2 etc. Maybe GG will hand out v0.5 with this fixed. If wishes were fishes we'd all own aquariums.
keep your gor coin handy
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

You can GLOBAL_SWAP all versions of your monster to the same version, before you trigger the game ending (have the END_OF_GAME flooritem inactive, and activate it with a trigger). Then on the stats screen, they all show up as 1 monster. If there are no instances of a monster at all in the dungeon, then the stats screen hides it.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Lord_BoNes wrote:You can GLOBAL_SWAP all versions of your monster to the same version, before you trigger the game ending... Then on the stats screen, they all show up as 1 monster.
Wow, I didn't know that!? Pretty cool. I'm surprised though -- are you sure this works for monsters you've already killed that no longer exist in the dungeon? (IE, if you have just one unique monster for mechanism purposes that you then killed, what happens when it's global swapped (since it no longer exists) ?)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I just tested that, and you appear to be correct... it DOESN'T affect killed monsters.
EG: You have 4 different "variations" of the same monster, that turn into one another (so you could make a monster appear to get weaker as you kill it... meaning 4>3>2>1>CLOUD) in the stats screen it shows each individual monster type.

It's actually quite frustrating :(

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Indeed. Which is why I asked for a bit flag to identify "mechanism" monsters:
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... =5&t=28243

It doesn't matter anymore for me, as I'm In the process of switching to DSB anyway. RTC is too buggy and weird.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Gambit37 wrote:It doesn't matter anymore for me, as I'm In the process of switching to DSB anyway. RTC is too buggy and weird.
Traitor! LOL :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I didn't really want to switch if truth be told: I've invested far too much time into RTC and it suits my mindset. But it's fundamentally broken in several areas (monster AI for one) and while DSB is more complicated for me and not an ideal platform for my way of working, it should ultimately result in a better dungeon.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Has the creator of DSB made it easy for lame Os like myself to operate it? In a few years time, how many DSB dungeons do you think there will be with a regular lamo making them. It'll be the same people making them over and over, because most normal everyday joe is not going to spend time on programing it. GG made it possible for anyone, just too bad it's so damn buggy. I wouldn't doubt if it is left that way, and there is a fix. In his eyes, why would he even fix it if many of us keep hacking and slashing his engine. I don't blame the guy at all. Maybe a little more appreciation was needed. You can have a family and still work on the engine, so there was another reason why he quit. It's like this, nobody stops reading there favorite past time adventure novel stories. I can't see GG leaving because of this. I have an idea what its like. I have 3 children of my own, and they have children.
keep your gor coin handy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, no-one's disagreeing with you. There's more to life than RTC (or DSB or whatever). But for those of us who want to make the best dungeon we can, it doesn't make sense to continue to use broken and buggy tools.

Believe me, if I had the programming nouse, I'd have done my own engine years ago. But my mind doesn't work that way. So I use the tools available to me. But if the chisel is blunt, or snaps, you eventually have to sharpen it or buy a new one. RTC is my broken chisel.

By the way, DSB is really for programmers, not visually minded people who enjoy the RTC way of doing things. I'm really struggling to get anywhere with DSB to be honest. :(

Anyway, we're getting really off topic. I might move the RTC discussion over to the Future of RTC thread I think, it makes more sense there.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Gambit37 wrote:I didn't really want to switch if truth be told: I've invested far too much time into RTC and it suits my mindset. But it's fundamentally broken in several areas (monster AI for one) and while DSB is more complicated for me and not an ideal platform for my way of working, it should ultimately result in a better dungeon.
well, i think we have fixed that problem now, ai works perfect, even the NPC. this is not an issue anymore for dungeon builders who use the GUI. i too am not a programmer, just not interested in it. if i had of learned it in school, stuck to my college programme and finished it, i might of had a different opinion.
keep your gor coin handy