New spell attacks

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

New spell attacks

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I noticed playing the dungeon Underworld Dreams that some of the new monster attacks spun the characters in different directions. At first I thought it was intended and clever, and then was working with some spell creations and discovered that a new attack\spell that the monster performs that when the characters take a hit, they spin on their own. Can't seem to control it. Also noticed when swapping monsters the monster will spin for a moment until it finds the party to attack.

Is there a way to prevent the monster from spinning and instead have the monster point at the party only when swapped out? It looks a little unnatural.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Re: New spell attacks

Post by Saumun »

Never noticed the spell thing, but I’ve experienced the same when swapping monsters. Though it doesn’t seem to happen every time, they can turn when swapped as if it takes a second for them to locate the party which can look unrealistic if it’s a swap where the monster is already aware of the party.

I wonder if a certain attribute causes it? Remember the knife throwing fight in The Trail? There are two types of Meazel. One with the dagger in hand, and one without. When one with a dagger attacks (throws the dagger across the pit) it is swapped for a Meazel that has the graphic without the dagger.
Sometimes they remain facing the party, and sometimes they turn. In this scenario it doesn’t matter, because it could be explained away by the monster looking for another dagger.... but with a different monster and different situation it looks pretty weird.
Setting the movement at -1 ensures the monster always faces the party, but the problem is obvious... it can’t move. I imagine then swapping to a moving monster after swapping to a -1 would just give the same problem. Not sure. Haven’t tried it.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Swapping to a -1 monster first, and then > movement could be done but it will cost a tic. Must try this to know if it feels too unnatural. Keeping the monster facing the party will allow the monster's stay attack to act more quickly. I already swap from -1 to > , there are more than 2 monsters involved, so some might have movement of 10 being swapped to a 2, will try and swap 10, to -1, to 2 , walking, stop, running. Cost a tic but it should work if the -1 points to the party.

Monster attacks that do health damage to the party spin the characters, not sure what is happening here. I remember some of U D monster attacks they did the same thing, even through walls. It frustrated me a little, thought it was his evil master plan but it turns out to be a strange bug. Also, RTC shoots spells forward view no matter what the character position shows. I think attacks work though.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

With movement set to -1, you only ever see the front view of the monster... even if you walk around it. Whether the monster will turn away again when you swap from this to a moving monster, I really don’t know.

I assumed the flip party attack in UD was deliberate, since it displays the words when it happens. The attack through walls is indeed infuriating. I remember the same thing with Underverse. The giant Gorgons in the hive can do their slow party attack on you, even if you’re outside the hive but within it’s view range in terms of number of squares. I’m not sure if anything can be done with that, save for temporarily swapping on approach.... but that could be very complicated unless the monster was in an isolated area.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

With movement set to -1, you only ever see the front view of the monster... even if you walk around it. Whether the monster will turn away again when you swap from this to a moving monster, I really don’t know

turns out I was already doing it and no matter what, if it swaps to other than -1, there is a good chance it won't be pointing at the party. it seems to also point at random direction, not just N or S, E, W.
I assumed the flip party attack in UD was deliberate
I'm not so sure, the player viewing direction yes which affects the direction of the spells, but the characters at the top right corner spinning which affects the characters non spell attacks???? it is still useful to confuse the player. Where did Adamski go? he could clear it up.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hmm... that’s annoying. I’m really not sure how you could get around it. Clearly the swap doesn’t take position into account.
Is this a regular or fast swap?
I was wondering if the extra attributes it included in a fast swap included position.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hmm... that’s annoying. I’m really not sure how you could get around it. Clearly the swap doesn’t take position into account.
Is this a regular or fast swap?
Do not think the position is taken into account.
Global-Fast does not work when constantly swapping, maybe once.
It has never worked well for me.
Like you said, it doesn't swap over the current position, it randomly points in any direction before targeting the party.
keep your gor coin handy