nexus doesnt work on s saturn

Talk about the lesser known games "Theron's Quest" and "Dungeon Master Nexus".
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wieklend

nexus doesnt work on s saturn

Post by Wieklend »

I just downloaded the nexus ISO, and burn it !!!!!!!

But my saturn ( JAPANESE ) doesnt recognize it

IS THERE A LOADER OR SOMETHING .....................
Celine
Novice

Re: nexus doesnt work on s saturn

Post by Celine »

Yeah, I tried burning it, but it won't load on my Saturn either... :(
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I don't have a Saturn myself so I could not test.
You should go here:
http://www.litespeedcomputers.com/sx/
in the Miscellaneous section / Sega Saturn Utilities, you will find Satconv, a small tool to display/change the country code of a Saturn ISO image.

The ISO on the site has "U" as area code, which means (I think) that you can play it on a US console.

I hope this helps...
BUSSIBAER

Post by BUSSIBAER »

to play the burned cd on the saturn u need a modchip or action replay
i need modchip and 4in1 action replay to play the burned foreign game
but it works perfectly
if you already have a japanese saturn u need only the modchip i think
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

sigh i was one of the people awhile back who got it and did rip it, besides all of that the most vital thing you need is a saturn that PLAY'S COPIED games. it has nothing to do with the region your first step is a mod to make the saturn play CDr games, the Mpeg\VCD card doesn't help either. unfortantely alot of mod chips for saturn don't say if backup's work. More so finding a mod chip made for whatever saturn yoy have.
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT
Randor
Neophyte

Post by Randor »

hi. i was wondering if anyone has been successful getting the DM Nexus backup from edonkey working on a real saturn. i have:

model 2 US saturn
Modchip (from racketboy)
Action Replay 1/4M cart

in theory, this should make it workable, and i get a logo load screen before the action replay kicks in. yet when i try to launch the game it just freezes with "Loading Game" or something similar.

i have managed to get a couple of backups to work, so it looks like the mod chip is working properly. i know there is a region patcher, but i have a mac and i don't think there is an OSX patcher available. really, the action replay should take care of that bit, unless i've got it wrong.

which sucks because this is basically why i bought the saturn :(
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Emulators are your friend. Much cheaper than a mod chip, though not quite as nostalgic. Until you get it running on your box, you can still play it on your PC.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nexus is difficult to play under the Cassini emulator (or derivatives) as some parts don't work correctly: champion portraits don't show up and neither do magic runes when casting spells -- which makes things a bit tough but not impossible as I completed it under emulation.
Randor
Neophyte

Post by Randor »

thanks guys. however, i have a mac, so i can't play on cassini. i downloaded yabauze, but i can't figure it out, and it seems to have limited compatibility anyways.

man, i wanna play this. it looks so cool.
Randor
Neophyte

Post by Randor »

Hey, i just wanted to let you guys know that emuasylum have an Nexus ISO that works on my model 2 US saturn! they ask for a one-time $30 donation to download ISO images, but if you have a saturn and need rare/japanese ISOs, it's a damn good deal. maybe i could seed it to bittorrent if there's enough interest, but i'd have to figure out how to do that.

don't forget, you need a saturn that is both chipped AND has an action replay cartridge or some kind of region switcher to run the Nexus backup. Not sure about PAL saturns...
DMHope
Neophyte

Post by DMHope »

Actually, you don't REALLY need a mod chip. It's possible to do a swap trick to boot copied Saturn games.

A lot of people get confused about this because they are used to the Playstation, which did both region check and copy protection in the same technique, so swap tricks worked for both region and copy protection.

On the Saturn, once you've dealt with region issues (either by patching your ISO, soldering in a region switch, or using a region-switching cartridge), you can then jam the door switch (requires opening the case) and then swap in an original disc every time the drive tries to seek to the outer copy protection track. I used to do this all the time before I got my real modchip.

When you're booting straight from the logo, it only requires one swap cycle (backup, original, backup), but if you're booting from the CD Player menu, it requires two cycles because the first cycle is required for the CD player menu to recognize that it's a bootable disc, and the second cycle is required after you actually tell it to boot because it checks the protection again.

Return to “Theron's Quest (TQ) & Dungeon Master Nexus (DMN)”