Emu that runs Dungeon Master Nexus!!!

Talk about the lesser known games "Theron's Quest" and "Dungeon Master Nexus".
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
OpTiMaL
Novice

Emu that runs Dungeon Master Nexus!!!

Post by OpTiMaL »

I don't know how many people know about it, but there is a Saturn emulator running around that is capable of running Dungeon Master Nexus. It is a GiriGiri hack that has been available for a little bit now.

I just now got around to testing it. I don't know how perfect the emulation is on the game, because I have yet to mod my Saturn. It does however appear to be playable. Framerate is good, and the graphics, from what I can tell without playing on an actual Saturn, appear to be working well.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Emu that runs Dungeon Master Nexus!!!

Post by ChristopheF »

Good news! Could you tell us where we can get this emu?
Thanks
OpTiMaL
Novice

Post by OpTiMaL »

http://emu.makii.pl/binstemp/girigirir-gav.zip

I downloaded mine off of a file sharing program, but I found this link on the net.

If you need help setting it up I might be able to help.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I couldn't get this to work with the actual Nexus CD, but after making an ISO using CDRWin, it worked fine under WinXP.

It's no easier to play though! Just as difficult as it was on the Saturn, and my party were obliterated by the first Mummy. Oh well, one day I might have the patience to try Nexus properly...
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Many thanks, OpTiMal, I tried it and it works!
Although the emulator is not very simple to configure (like all emulators!), I managed to play until half of the first level below the hall of champions. I killed a few mummies and screamers, it is not so hard, Gambit. The interface is not very user friendly but after a few minutes you start to get used to it. To fight with all your party, press Z and E alternatively (on a querty keyboard. Use W and E on an azerty keyboard). You have to be very close to the creatures to touch them.
Daniel Gustafsson
Apprentice

Post by Daniel Gustafsson »

This is great news! I will test it as soon as possible.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Excellent news. Now all I need to get hold of is the Nexus ISO. Would anyone here be willing to upload it somewhere temporarily? If you don't have any FTP space I'll be able to provide some. How big is the Nexus ISO file?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

IIRC, the compressed Nexus ISO is about 120 MB. I could upload it but would you be kind enough to allow some people to download it from your FTP before you close it?
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I'm extremely interested in playing it as well. If anyone happens to know where I could get a copy of Theron's Quest, I'd like to try that, too. I'm on a DM rampage at the moment, trying to get as much info as possible before I dive into my own clone project.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Unfortunately it's not my FTP so I'll have to ask the guy if he will allow a 120MB file to be uploaded there. It's a private FTP so you would have to ask him privately for your own user name and password. I'll ask him if this is ok to host Nexus for a day or two.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Christophe

What is your e-mail address? Is it this:

dmweb at free fr

He says he will set you up with your own login. :)
Methanoid

Config?

Post by Methanoid »

Can we have some help on the config of this please?

I tried the readme which asked you to make a TOC file from your CUE and BIN files but its a CUE and ISO combination instead. Either way my "Saturn" just booted into CD player mode and played the audio tracks and not the game....

Grrrr, help please!!!!!!!!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You can convert ISO to BIN using WinISO, but you don't need to if you follow the instructions on the Encyclopedia. You will however need a copy of CDRWin.

http://dmweb.free.fr/DMNDownloads.htm

You can use WinISO to convert the ISO file to a BIN file. If you do this, you can miss out steps 4.1 -- 4.4, and you won't need CDRWin or Daemon tools.

http://www.winiso.com/

The Encyclopedia instructions state that you should edit base.ini and set Area to 4. I've found that setting it to 1 is better, as this is Japan.

Hope that helps!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

By the way, I use DC++ peer-to-peer file sharing, and have the BIN & CUE files for Nexus avalable.

I use the following hubs, so try connecting to one of these and searching for it.

[BBB] Sweden Liberty #02 (liberty2.mine.nu)
[TN] TradeNet TrashCan - [TradeNet] (trashcan.myftp.org)
[DK]The Wild Place (thewildplace.dyndns.dk)
UK-PIRATES (uk-pirates.no-ip.com)
Sweden][Gbg][Fenix™][VIP#2 - Write /fav in main chat to put the hub to favorites list (vip2.ath.cx)
[BBB]Sundsvall (maximumspeed2.no-ip.info)
Sweden][Göteborg][Fenix™][VIP #1 - squeeze yourself in ;) (vip1.ath.cx)
Methanoid

Damn Nexus

Post by Methanoid »

Well, I dont DCC++ but I can say that those floating around Overnet/emule servers will get the one which doesnt boot....
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi, cdrwin didn't want to read the d-tools virtual drive but i succeeded in converting the iso to a bin file with winiso (thx gambit !)
i had an error message when i ran glaunch.exe for the first time that said it couldn't find the [kanji symbols].sdb file, but then it didn't appeared again.
actually, i can't play the game because girigiri recognize the dmnexus.bin as an audio cd only : i have the audio player while i modified the base.ini file with 4 for AREA value :(

any idea ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Try setting the area value to 1 -- I think that fixes the audio cd problem, and the game should then boot.

Return to “Theron's Quest (TQ) & Dungeon Master Nexus (DMN)”