Playing DM Nexus with Cassini

Talk about the lesser known games "Theron's Quest" and "Dungeon Master Nexus".
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Playing DM Nexus with Cassini

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Update: I've since replaced Giri Giri with Cassini. I apologize to all the people who tried to download Giri Giri and couldn't. The link below has been updated.

There seem to be some misconceptions floating around regarding how you run DM Nexus on the Sega Saturn emulator Giri Giri. The copy of Nexus Christophe has on his downloads page is the same version I've been sharing through eMule since he first posted the ed2k link. It's an ISO/CUE image. There are no OGG files in the package.

Bottom line is, you don't have to convert anything to play the game. ISO and BIN are structurally identical, so you don't even have to rename them. The only thing you have to do is download Cassini.

http://three.homeip.net/files/Cassini10_Lite.exe

Cassini is a hacked version of Giri Giri Saturn, the morality of which may be questionable, but there have been no legal trangressions thus far. For now at least, Cassini is free for all to use. (It also includes MiC's loader, which is what I'll explain here.)

Okay. Please follow carefully, because this is the easiest thing you will ever do. You will not be accessing a command prompt for this, so forget all the steps you read at dmweb. Forget all the documentation that came with Giri Giri. The loader is going to take care of all that for you.

Unpack the DM Nexus ISO/CUE image. Do not edit anything. The CUE descriptor is correct exactly how it is, and the ISO will function properly. There are no audio files to convert. Just dump the image somewhere on your hard drive.

(Loader installation removed, as it is now included with Cassini.)

Choose whatever resolution you want, but don't change anything else. Click the button labelled "Run CUE/BIN" and select your CUE file. After a moment, you should see the animated Saturn BIOS splash, followed by the Sega and Victor logos, a brief FMV intro, and finally the title screen. That's it. You are ready to go. No muss, no fuss. (Side note: Alt-Enter toggles between full-screen and windowed.)

What about the other settings? CD-ROM drive is irrelevant because you'll be mounting a disc image. Region is also irrelevant because "Auto choose CUE/BIN region" is enabled, and this will default to Japan (1) for DM Nexus. Feel free to examine the other three tabs --- in particular, you may want to set up your controls in the Config tab --- but I advise against changing anything else. The default settings are suitable for running this copy of Nexus.

If you edit anything on the other tabs and thereafter cannot run Nexus, I cannot help you! The default settings will work. Change the controls if you like, view the CUE+BIN info if you like, but leave everything else alone!

(Game pads now work with Cassini.)

Contrary to what I may have said in the past, the loader doesn't care if you leave spaces in the ISO/CUE names because it automatically renames the files when the image is loaded, replacing spaces with underscores. (This change is reflected in the CUE file itself, so you don't have to edit anything.) Unpack your CD image, run the loader, and press the correct button. That's all there is to it.

If anyone has problems that were not incurred by messing with the default settings, please feel free to ask for help.

Return to “Theron's Quest (TQ) & Dungeon Master Nexus (DMN)”