Nexus riddles with japanese text

Talk about the lesser known games "Theron's Quest" and "Dungeon Master Nexus".
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: Nexus riddles with japanese text

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, I fear I have to throw something exactly unto that middle pilar - so I must find something really heavy and maybe also wait until that strength potions have worn out.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Going back a couple of steps and choosing a plate mail as missile did it (thrown objects generally fly farther than in original DM).
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

"Porukesu" is in fact "Borketh", as there is one file on the CD-ROM called BORKETH.MNS which contains the 3D model and textures for this character.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

So this Borketh guy seems to be some kind of sleeper-LC, waiting for the power gem to transform him completely.

Gambit: BTW, so far I refrained from the petrification spell since you warned in an earlier thread that stoned monsters could permanently block your path and thus break your savegame. I found that, while petrification seems pretty permanent, the petrified monsters can be killed. They just have a very high damage resilience so even with strong arms, like harcleave, diamond edge and ku-potions you only inflict about 1 point of damage per attack, which meant for my testing subject, a petrified scorpion, that I needed to whack it several hundred times in order to destroy it. Got me fighter levels.

Good spell versus stationary poison plants sitting on walls anyway.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

After the cut scene you find the Grey Lord in a cage ingame, he says a couple of words. I guess its some "you must go and stop him", but of course I'd like to know more precisely.

http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/DMNScreenshots/GreyLord0.jpg
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/DMNScreenshots/GreyLord1.jpg
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/DMNScreenshots/GreyLord2.jpg
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

So, I'm through. That was probably the lamest showdown in the history of computer games.
Walk in, meet Chaos - who is alone, like most standard monsters - hit him a few times and he dies. He's not even a tough opponent, even a couple of hellhounds are harder.

The engine has all the potential for a great game. Right, the phone-beeping menu- and magic-runes-sound should be exchanged against something else. But the atmosphere and graphics are nice, the dungeon could contain a few more subtle riddles but all in all they were ok and interesting enough, especially for someone who doesn't know half of them from DM1. The walking speed is to slow. I found only 1 pair of boots of speed though, maybe there are more hidden somewehere, like in DM1.

Biggest problem is the AI. The monsters behave so stupidly, most simple sprites of old school pre-C64-shootemups are smarter than that. The only monsters that weren't defenseless sitting ducks were the hellhounds, since they move a bit faster than other monsters and spit fireballs. Everything else - aproach, backstep while the monster swings at you (damage is dealt only if you are still standing there at the end of the to long swing animation), move forward, hit twice, repeat a couple of time, notice that the monster is restricted to not leave the small room it guards, and either repeat hitting it or just shoot it from beyond its perimeter. Since only few monsters have ranged attacks and you only rarely meet more than 1 or sometimes 2 monsters at once, every battle follows the same boring pattern, except for a very few opponents, who are still to dumb to defend themselves properly. Often even healthy non-intimidated monsters cease to perceive the party's position in mid-combat and slowly turn and shuffle away (hurt or intimidated fleeing monsters at least run quickly), oblivious to the fact that someone is shooting at them (my new battlecry is "Hey you, I'm over here! Stop ignoring me!").

So, even if the data extraction would be complete and the game changed to english and the menu sounds would be changed and someone managed to edit the dungeons and put 4 pairs of boots of speed at the beginning and devised clever dungeons and set up battles with more opponents, removed the monster area restricitions and introduced more narrow combat places - the problem that the AI is incredibly dumb is probably unfixable. Which is a shame, because the engine really does have potential for a really great game. Instead, it's just a nice, entertaining arcady game. I can truly recommend playing it at least once, it is fun, but that's it.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Fulcrum arrived at my original position after much hardship, after chasing after you and coming here.
I allowed Fulcrum to keep the Power Gem. I wonder if this was my mistake...

Theron, pay attention.
Borketh, by using the Power Gem, has unfortunately returned to the original form of Lord Chaos.
However, the Gem's power is imperfect up to the point of him getting full control of it.
For now, we have a chance to defeat that man. You should go after him immediately.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Thank you! So, to return to my original point of interest - should the Nexus story be considered canon? Should the power gem still exist in a DM-D&D-world? ... but that's a different story and it shall be told in a different thread ...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I wonder - Porukesu - Borketh - Lord Chaos -

How would a Japanese with insufficient knowledge of English pronounce "Lord Chaos"?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

It depends. If they don't know the word Chaos at all and assume it's like a typical "ch"
Roodo Chaosu
(that is, with a "cha" not a "k"-- and the "oo" is a longer "o" not an English "oo")

If they do have some concept of the English pronounciation, just can't say it: Keosu
Qwerty
Apprentice

Post by Qwerty »

How would a Japanese with insufficient knowledge of English pronounce "Lord Chaos"?
I say it "Lord Chaos" is "Low-ed Cu(t)-o-su" in Japanese pronounce.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Lunever wrote:How would a Japanese with insufficient knowledge of English pronounce "Lord Chaos"?
Qwerty wrote:I say it "Lord Chaos" is "Low-ed Cu(t)-o-su" in Japanese pronounce.
I don't think your knowledge of English could be considered insufficient, though, Qwerty. :mrgreen: :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hai, Amber-Chan! :wink:
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

blakecasimir
Neophyte

Post by blakecasimir »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm playing through Nexus and don't have experience with the early DM games. I'm having trouble with the same level as Lunever and have reached a door with a water fountain right next to it, as well as a plaque. There is no key hole, I have no extra keys, and attacking the door doesn't open it. Please help!

Return to “Theron's Quest (TQ) & Dungeon Master Nexus (DMN)”