well something new at least

This is an archive of posts from Cowsmanaut's old forums.

Moderator: cowsmanaut

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

well something new at least

Post by cowsmanaut »

With the assistance of Billgus I'm continuing the dunegeon graphics set.

all I needed was a little push
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

It's comming along.. a few set backs in th form of not knowing exactly what to put in the file to make them show up but it's doing ok so far.. at a certain point a new .RTC file for CSB will be provided for those of you interested.

moo
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1024464620.JPG

Screen shot of the new entrance for CSB..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Very nice indeed! I tried something similar a while back but mine looked rubbish - this one looks cool. Is that a Photoshop filter for the texture on the rocks - it looks quite convincing (in a DM type way). Cool.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

hiya!

Post by cowsmanaut »

Yeah I have some unique methods of using photoshop filters to get what I want. This image is mostly made up from the orriginal image. I went in and smudged the heck out of it and then redid the skulls from scratch. I did a pass of the Sandstone texture filter and then smudged that along what I figured would be the grain of the stone and then did a craquelure with about a spacing of 30 and a depth of 1. This basically adds in highlights and depth to your image even on a 0 setting. Then I go back in and redo shadow areas add in some more cracks and clean up some of the edges.

After that I added the quit button since there was none yet it was still there to be clicked.. So I figured why not represent it. The scroll was hand drawn as well. Then the doors were similar to the outside.. I smudged them and then I duplicated it and did craquelure on it. I made that layer an overlay then made a seperate layer with a grey and brown cloud filter on it then added lots of noise to get a granite looking image and then motion blurred that at a 45% degree angle and then used the sandstone texture on it. Made that an multiply layer and set the opacity to about 50%.

Over all my goal was to keep the somewhat purist approach so I wasn't looking to change it too much.
+Petrih3

Post by +Petrih3 »

I assume you wanted comments on this right?
So I touched your image a litte bit.. I hope you don't get mad

Basically just used some nonlinear colors and added some detail to those flat areas.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

GAH!

Post by cowsmanaut »

Too much I think. Throwing an overlay of real stone can make it look a bit more real. However it seems like too much in that case. I was trying to keep a sandstone sort of look and keep more of a purist aproach to the art itself.

One thing about DM is that it has a sort of comic book or animated feature feel to the over all look.. going for something that may appear more real can actually take away from it.

I did some tests with images using photosourcing like you've done here to add to the image but they always seem like it's taking away.. it has to uphold that level of surrealism.. you know? Where it looks like it might exist.. but you know it can't.

However, I do like what you've done.. I think it's just too much.. but I could add some more detail I suppose to the doors.. just not that much.

Thanks for the input!

BTW, hows your 3D one comming?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I touched it up a bit more.. added in some variant hues with some greens and oranges (very subtle)

then added some more chips and cracks to the surface.. Put in the extra highlights you suggested as well..

Better?

moo moo moooooo!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm... I quite like the extra detail in Petrih's version, but agree that it's too much. The highlights are way to stark - looks like it's made of a really shiny polished stone, and the detail is perhaps a bit heavy. This would look good if the detail layer was made a little more transparent and the highlights dulled.

Drake, your new version is subtely improved and as you say still retains that comic book feel of DM.

Bottom line is probably that something inbetween would probably suit the needs perfectly.
+Petrih3

Post by +Petrih3 »

Ok, I get your point tho I must say I'm not a big fan of comic style, mainly because of DM2 which looked horrible to me (especially the PC version).

Anyhow, the new version is superior over the old one. Now just finish the rest of the wall. Like, the enscriptions on the wall seems to hovering above the surface. Maybe make it so that it looks like its carved? Also maybe you could add some vegetation to spice things up?

Keep up the great work!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Notice how he still calls me Drake.. Less letters and easier to remember I guess

Anyway, Petri, The thing with DM2 was not comicbook style.. that was freakin' care bear style!! It was horrible. When I say comic book style I'm thinking more along the lines of Darkhorse comics.. or Spawn from Image comics.. Dark, brooding, and distorted.

It's just one off from reality.

Janne, whom I imagine you've worked with.(he worked on 3DMark2000 and 2001 I think) Some of his work, the sketches support the DM feel.. not too much detail and a dark and distorted look. He always points out exactly what you did with my work though.. use of colour. I have problems with going further. Often worried about using the wrong ones or too much.

I would have to agree with the veggies.. I'll add in something.. that will be more on an outter layer though..

It is kind of desert like though.. I think that was the initial point..